SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do you leave your computer's sound turned off?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you leave your computer's sound turned off? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I do. I can stand auditory ads; visual ones are bad enough but ignorable. So the sound stays off unless I wanna hear something.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yup - I have some blockers to stop auto play things, but sometimes they get past the goalie.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of wireless Sennheiser headphones that I use with the computer. They are turned off and hanging on the base unit unless I'm intentionally listening to something.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I always have sound on because I'm either listening to music, watching videos, or playing a video game.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My work laptop has the sound turned off. Damn autoplay ads and videos were the reason.

For example, I was in a meeting and this buzzword bandit was droning on and on saying absolutely nothing so I decided to multitask and check the airline's website to see what my options were for changing flights home. Damn autoplay video pops up with a loud advertisement for the airline. Whole room turned and looked at me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12394 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Off 99.9% of the time.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, without a doubt.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I turn it off (the speaker control) when I go to bed, otherwise it is down low unless I need it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes! All the time.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
My sound is turned off unless I need it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OFF

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, always turned off.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sound always on, running through 5.1 system. Sucks when someone is working late and my work email makes the loud inbox sound at 11:30 at night.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Off? I sure do... well, when the wifey is home Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
No, I like sound. I wish data popping up on screen was like in the movies where every digit or data line made a blip sound as it popped up.

Or like in old '70s - '90s military thrillers where there would be a CRT green font on screen with a cursor showing where the action was taking place and it would make a beeping sound as it printed out to make everything seem really serious and official, like: San Francisco California - United States: 0830 hours... I want my computer to sound like that!

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I always have music streaming when the computer is on, and usually with headphones plugged in if Im actually at the desk. I rarely get ads that chime in unless I'm on Youtube.

There was a time that I would turn the audio completely off, but either I have tinnitus, or I can't stand the dead silence, and drives me crazy, so now I have to have something playing in the background at all times.

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
Unless I need it (like, say, a You Tube video) it's always muted.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post