SIGforum
Found a shotgun today. Update: Happy ending

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9510087154

January 05, 2019, 05:58 PM
9x18
Found a shotgun today. Update: Happy ending
While on my walk today I spotted an ammo box by the roadside.This is in national forest land but only a few hundred yards from my property.

I thought it was a battery box and climbed up the bank to investigate. It was a black plastic ammo box and beside it was a pump 12 gauge. It had a little rust on it as we have had a lot of rain lately. I called the sheriff's office and when the deputy opened the ammo box there was a revolver in it. I hadn't touched any of it.

This a rural area and I have few neighbors. It is adjacent to a lake day use area. Trash, deer carcass, tree trimmings, and other stuff gets dumped on our road. The abandoned puppies have mercifully stopped. Now what is apparently stolen goods left just a few hundred yards from my doorstep.

We have a gate but one of our neighbors, a full time resident, will not lock it and now people drive down it at will. No amount of pleading,cajoling , or reasoning can change her mind. Several of us have tried.

Got my P220 loaded bedside. A Kahr .380 goes with me on my walks. I'm not too happy about this latest development.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Just had a knock on the door. Answered it(armed, of course) My neighbors caretaker's son left them there New Years eve. His girlfriend didn't want them with them at a party. So he just put them in the woods. Ah, youth!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 9x18,
January 05, 2019, 06:27 PM
BurtonRW
Geez.

I hate your neighbor for you. Any chance you could all pitch in for an automatic gate? Except her - because she probably doesn’t understand the need.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
January 05, 2019, 06:44 PM
Mars_Attacks
Where was this?

There are some folks hunting stolen firearms on the ODT.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
January 05, 2019, 06:59 PM
9x18
quote:
Where was this?

Near Blue Ridge
January 05, 2019, 07:03 PM
9x18
Mars, a quick search and I didn't see it. Can you send me a link please?
January 05, 2019, 07:12 PM
9x18
quote:
Any chance you could all pitch in for an automatic gate?

No. The gate is on national forest land and is a special exception that has been grandfathered in. The property owners have a padlock and the forest service has one of theirs so either can lock/unlock it. I think they would prefer it be removed if it isn't locked. A new gate wouldn't fly.
January 05, 2019, 07:23 PM
Rolan_Kraps
You did the right thing. I might add something more than a .380 to your walks. Maybe a Mossberg Shockwave.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
January 05, 2019, 08:53 PM
Sailor1911
Maybe the sheriff should have a talk with the neighbor about locking the gate.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
January 06, 2019, 09:15 AM
220-9er
Seems very odd to leave that stuff there.
Maybe the sheriff could check to see if they are reported as stolen and if not, use a tracking dog to see if there is a trail. Could be a suicide out there somewhere.

January 06, 2019, 11:11 AM
9x18
I thought of the lost or person suffering from dementia. I mentioned that to the deputy. I've also thought of the person who inherited the guns and didn't want them. A " just get them out of here" type.

Still, they would be worth something at a pawn shop, unless stolen.

Mars mentioned the ODT, which is a local place to sell, but still some risk you'd get caught. I looked there but didn't see these guns but a lot of others. surprising number really.
January 06, 2019, 01:24 PM
Sgt Neutron
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

January 06, 2019, 01:30 PM
Mars_Attacks
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Mars, a quick search and I didn't see it. Can you send me a link please?

https://www.theoutdoorstrader....neral-discussion.38/

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
January 06, 2019, 02:30 PM
9x18
Thanks. Boy, plenty of stolen guns there. Don't see those listed yet but I'll have to go thru the 7 pages more carefully.

It wasn't in the list of those stolen and then sold on the OTD.
January 06, 2019, 05:14 PM
9x18
Issue resolved, please see original posting, now edited.
January 06, 2019, 07:00 PM
shiftyvtec
I couldn't imagine what kind of person would set out a gun and it's associated ammunition near a roadside in a public area in order to appease anyone.

It's just looney, Wtf?
January 06, 2019, 07:10 PM
9x18
agreed. There are only six of us down this road , so the chance was limited. The ammo box was pretty visible though, especially since I was walking.

What gets me is how long he left it there. If it really was 12-31 and I found it on 1-5, that is several days. And it rained most of those. The shotgun was already rusting some. Why didn't he come back the next day, or the next?

I do feel for the kid . He said the pump was his grandfather's. Surely the sheriff will return them. He wanted some advice about what to say and I told him honesty was his best course of action.
January 07, 2019, 10:33 AM
radioman
quote:
While on my walk today I spotted an ammo box by the roadside.This is in national forest land but only a few hundred yards from my property.

I thought it was a battery box and climbed up the bank to investigate. It was a black plastic ammo box and beside it was a pump 12 gauge. It had a little rust on it as we have had a lot of rain lately. I called the sheriff's office and when the deputy opened the ammo box there was a revolver in it. I hadn't touched any of it.

Geocache?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
January 08, 2019, 09:44 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Geocache?
I'm a big fan of "finders keepers, losers weepers" myself. Wink
January 09, 2019, 09:06 AM
Sig2340
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZCNGaafnAGk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

... a JELLY DONUT!!!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018