SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Proprietary Honda Civic Windshield Wipers!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Proprietary Honda Civic Windshield Wipers! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I'm driving down the road Saturday and go to wash my windshield and my driver's side wiper on my 07 Civic basically explodes in pieces off my car and flies away. Eek

The 8th gen Civic sedan has these big goofy proprietary wiper blades where you HAVE to buy the wiper refill from Honda, no going anywhere else. I cannot go to Walmart and get a set of new RainX wiper blades like all the other cars I've ever owned. They swipe up and not side to side which is why I guess you can't just replace them.

I stop by the dealer and OF COURSE the goddamned place is closed because of no power like half the area was Saturday. Stop by on Monday and order the replacement wiper blade from them and it's almost 50 DOLLARS for one friggen' blade.

I sure hope Honda changed this crap in the later Civics because this alone is enough to make me never want to buy another one.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought you were talking about Toyota. My Sequoia wipers are the same kind of bullshit, only available from Toyota for $50 each.

I feel your pain....

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is that the whole wiper blade or just the insert? Can you get the insert?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is that the whole wiper blade or just the insert? Can you get the insert?

Well, since the driver's side blade disintegrated off my car, I have no choice but to buy the whole blade assembly for 50 bucks.

Normally the wiper insert/refills that go into the blade are *only* 8 bucks a piece from the dealer.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We have a 2010 Civic, I don't know which generation it is but I buy the wipers for it usually at Costco, but have also bought them at Auto Zone. $7.99 at Costco, they last a year. Goodyear brand I believe.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
We have a 2010 Civic, I don't know which generation it is but I buy the wipers for it usually at Costco, but have also bought them at Auto Zone. $7.99 at Costco, they last a year. Goodyear brand I believe.

They must have changed the wiper arm design to allow aftermarket wiper blades then, as the 2006-2009 (I think) Civic sedans do not allow this.

posted Hide Post
Just before I sold back my 2015 VW TDI, it needed three wiper blades. (Rear blade was kaput, too) No inserts, blades.

$25 each.

Originals lasted just under two years.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
The only experience I had with Honda was back in the early 90's when the starter in my GF's Honda was going out. She was quoted a couple hundred dollars to fix it. I pulled it apart and found that it just needed a new bushing. Went to the dealer to order a bushing - not available. The cheapest part they had was a $90+ starter housing... Not having a lot of money at the time (we were both in college) I went down the street to an import auto shop with the bad starter housing in hand. They made a bushing and pressed it in for me. Cost out the door was less than $5.

Don't think I could pull that off for your wiper blade though.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

They must have changed the wiper arm design to allow aftermarket wiper blades then, as the 2006-2009 (I think) Civic sedans do not allow this.

You can replace the factory wiper blades with aftermarket. I did this with my 2007 Si.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

You can replace the factory wiper blades with aftermarket. I did this with my 2007 Si.

Was your Si a coupe or sedan?

The sedan has a huge windshield with opposing wipers, not tandem like most cars and the arms do not take aftermarket anything.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Sedan. The factory wiper blades will disconnect, allowing you to install a different brand. I went with Bosch Icons.

———————————————

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Bosch makes the OE Specialty Aero Twin that fits the sedan

Now finding it at Walmart may not happen but many parts stores likely carry it. And less than $50 I am guessing.
Sounds like something I would keep an extra of in the trunk

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you don’t want to replace the whole blade, Amazon has the factory refills for the sedans:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine...hicleType=automotive

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine...ywords=76632-sna-a01

———————————————

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don’t want to replace the whole blade, Amazon has the factory refills for the sedans
PASig said, "since the driver's side blade disintegrated off my car, I have no choice but to buy the whole blade assembly for 50 bucks."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sedan. The factory wiper blades will disconnect, allowing you to install a different brand. I went with Bosch Icons.

Good to know, thanks!

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
If you don’t want to replace the whole blade, Amazon has the factory refills for the sedans
PASig said, "since the driver's side blade disintegrated off my car, I have no choice but to buy the whole blade assembly for 50 bucks."

That was also directed at those reading this thread that may want to replace their refills.

———————————————

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
And here are all of your aftermarket options from RockAuto...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...her,wiper+blade,8852

So... you've been paying the dealer for OEM wiper blades since 2007? Eek

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Got the shirt. There are options that supposedly fit arms on my '14 ML350, but I had to get diagonals out and snip some plastic channels to get them on and flat against windshield.

On a positive note my experience with OEM blades is they are much more durable and longer lasting. This all the way back to an '86 CRX through Infiniti to German brands. Maybe a little more over the long haul, but worth it to avoid the hassle perhaps.

quote:
So... you've been paying the dealer for OEM wiper blades since 2007? Eek
nah, he got 10 years out of them! Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind threading the rubber and metal inserts back through the arms. My wife’s ‘15 Highlander and my ‘06 Z4 allow me to do this, saving a “lot” of money over buying new wiper arms each time. My Audi A4 however requires new arms each time. They do last a year or so, but anger me every time I have to order them...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post