SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Coaching would be fun if not for parents

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Coaching would be fun if not for parents Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Deleted after calming down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 9807 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Should have asked mom if she could run down there and hold snowflake's target.

And if she wasn't willing to help out her kid, to have a nice bug mug of STFU!

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 8345 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
You can delete the post but the title is dead on. Frankly the post itself doesn't even need to say anything as anyone who has coached youth sports for any amount of time has their own stories to fill in the empty space. Just remember that you are there for the kids and that the bigger an asshole the parents are, the more the kid needs you to offset the parent. The more I hate the parents of a kid the more time I try to spend talking to the kid.

I've started saving the voicemails and texts I recieve. After a few days they start to make me laugh.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11977 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Amazing how one parent can ruin an evening that was a lot of fun for both me and my archers. Funny thing was snowflake hugged me and said thanks at the end of the lesson, snowflake's mom was still pissed off at me.

Posts: 9807 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Amazing how one parent can ruin an evening that was a lot of fun for both me and my archers. Funny thing was snowflake hugged me and said thanks at the end of the lesson, snowflake's mom was still pissed off at me.

Missed the original post, but if you received thanks and a hug, I think "snowflake" is misused.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 6172 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Teaching, coaching, youth sports in general. Parents screw it up.

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If snowflake hugged you and not her mom, then I'd say you got a vote of confidence.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 1219 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Report This Post
silence is acceptance
posted Hide Post
I quit coaching my son's teams a few years back for this very reason. It's sickening how some parents behaved.

Posts: 1907 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
20 years of being in evolved in youth sports and 10 years in a public has made me loath many parents. Anyone that works or is involved with kids understands.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 2942 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
My brother was a little league umpire as a teenager.

More than once he had to tell a parent to leave the area or their kid's team would forfeit the game.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21392 | Location: 9200 ft in Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I umpired for many years. As I got older, the parents got worse. Fairly sure it was them and not me changing.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Yup. I coach soccer. I don't know if I can do it anymore. The kids are awesome. The parents....

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 9629 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Having been both an asst coach and an umpire and BB Ref, I found I had more problems with the Head coach and other assts. I tried to coach with the attitude that the team comes first. In other words, it is about the young men or women and not about the coaches. But when the coach yells and screams at kids, even when they are still on the field, who is that helping?
Coaching in my opinion does not mean the ability to yell at kids. Motivating your team is part of the job, but yelling all the time tends to turn more kids off than on.
Giving some of the team special privileges is also a turnoff for the rest of the team. It is not only hard to take, but hard to watch.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 1583 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I coached for several years, and fortunately never ran into any overbearing parents. They were helpful, grateful, respectful and quiet. I also witnessed only one maybe two uncomfortable incidents from other coaches. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig.

Posts: 9511 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Miataguy
posted Hide Post
I loved football when I was growing up. Right after High School I did volunteer coaching for a Jr. High football team, just to keep around it.......
Parents ruined it for me so much that I never even watched another game for years.

Posts: 137 | Location: Long Beach, CA. | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ran into the same thing when I was the leader for my sons Cub Scout den. No body wanted to do it but everybody wanted to tell me the best way to do it, but then they didn't want to help carry out their suggestions. One of the kids parents worked at Auburn university and got the ok for the Cub Scout pack to go to the first game of the season for free. They would be sitting behind the student section. I told them that I didn't think that was such a good idea, I got over ruled. About5 minutes into the game the moms wanted to drag there kids out of there after seeing the antics of the college kids (drunk,cussing, being arrested etc.) but since most of them rode with me they had to stay. The next year when a new parent suggested the same thing they got a big no from the moms. The kids though the college kids were funny, the moms not so much.

Posts: 1553 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
It's not all bad.

We had a great AZ State Indoor Championship this weekend. I watched the parents of one of my personal students be incredibly supportive of their son as he shot in his first state level championship. They had a great attitude, looking at the tournament as a place to grow, gain experience and knowledge, not taking home a trophy or a title.

I watched another set of parents as they learned to let go and let their daughter make her own decisions and stand on her own. It was hard for them to do, but it was great for me as a coach watching an archer find themselves and gain a new sense of independence and confidence.

Finally at the awards ceremony I saw an archer throw a fit that it wasn't fair that she had to shoot against my daughter. Her mom nipped that in the bud so quick it made my head spin.

"What do you mean it's not fair?"

"It's just not fair she's so much better than I am."

"Have you shot for as long as she has?"

"No."

"Do you practice as much as she does?"

"No."

"Once you do you might be able to say it's not fair. Right now she's the one to look to see how to get there."

It's archers and parents like this that make coaching rewarding for me. My own philosophy is I'm not coaching to make my kids better archers, I'm coaching my archers to help them become independent, to be able to think for themselves and be able to work through whatever hardships they may encounter.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Wow...awesome response from Mom

So glad your daughter did so well and the parents behaved Big Grin

Posts: 6305 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
As a police officer I do more overtime working youth athletics because of problem parents. The coaches and refs are always very happy to see us. Its such a shame the way parents behave.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Riverton , Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post