SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poor Writing, Non-Existant Proof-Reading
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Writing, Non-Existant Proof-Reading Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My idea of a relaxing evening at home is a quiet time with my Kindle reader. I don't enjoy TV, I would much rather spend an hour immersed in a book.

My enjoyment comes to a screeching halt when I find glaring errors in a book, errors that the writer should have gotten right, and an editor or proof-reader failed to catch.

I just caught two annoying errors in back-to-back paragraphs in a book that I'm currently reading:
  • "ground crewmen ran out to place chalks against the landing gear," and

• "One of the two pilots, Air Force Lieutenant Commander"
Things like this really diminish my enjoyment of a book.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
I have to agree. Everything that I wrote was proofread. Newscasters used proper grammar. In college large points were deducted for spelling errors and incorrect grammar.

Annoys me greatly as well. Like nails on a chockboard.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I think the OP meant "Non-Existent Proof Reading"

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
"ground crewmen ran out to place chalks against the landing gear,"

Chock that up to ignorance.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:

I think the OP meant "Non-Existent Proof Reading"
There's a good example of what I'm talking about. Razz

I wonder why spell check did not catch that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How many stars does an Air Force Lieutenant Commander have?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
You are going to flip when they talk about having to re cock the bathroom tile
Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Same book, next page: “the deck pitching wildly from port to starboard.”

NO! Pitching is a fore and aft motion. Port to starboard is roll, not pitch.

I’m ready To pitch this book, but I feel compelled to see what dumbshit gaffe will be next.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I recently read an ad for a tactical shotgun. Which was equipped with a muzzle "break". Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait, soooooo AF doesn't have LtCDRs?

Those heathens!!!!

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It is - or was - common with newspaper ads taken over the phone to see errors like 4wd trucks with "wenches," "Loophole" scopes and "Mouser" rifles.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 22 years ago I was so annoyed by the technical errors in a book about locating and restoring vintage aircraft that I wrote the author a letter with all the mistakes I found, what the correct information was and where the correct information could be referenced.

To his credit, he wrote me back and apologized for having the book proof read for spelling and grammar but not having it reviewed from a technical perspective.

He said there were a few things I overlooked as well but that if his book sold enough to be reprinted, he'd have the errors corrected.

FWIW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M1Garandy,

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
"One of the two pilots, Air Force Lieutenant Commander"
Is that anything like an Army Corporal Captain??

Big Grin Big Grin

p.s. yes...books/articles with poor editing, misspellings, and incorrect grammar overcook my grits as well.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Annoys me greatly as well. Like nails on a chockboard.

Ha!

Saw what you did there Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I think I just read the same book. A helicopter pilot who got to do an exchange tour with the R.N.

Some of the books on Kindle seem to be written by 10 year olds. I'm plowing through a bunch about Vietnam and the writing, grammar, and spelling make some of them (unfortunately) unreadable.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
About 22 years ago I was so annoyed my the technical errors in a book about locating and restoring vintage aircraft that I wrote the author a letter with all the mistakes I found...

Since we are nitpicking...

Wink

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
quote:

About 22 years ago I was so annoyed my the technical errors in a book about locating and restoring vintage aircraft that I wrote the author a letter with all the mistakes I found...

Wink
Would you concede that there is a bit of difference between a simply typo possibly caused by using a small keypad on a phone, and blatant use of incorrect terms?

And a difference between somebody posting a comment on a forum like this, vs. a published book that should have had the attention of an editor and / or a proofreader?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I here ya on that one....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
quote:

Wink
Would you concede that there is a bit of difference between a simply typo possibly caused by using a small keypad on a phone, and blatant use of incorrect terms?

And a difference between somebody posting a comment on a forum like this, vs. a published book that should have had the attention of an editor and / or a proofreader?

Oh I concede your point. I just thought it was humorous that a response in support of your rant about lack of proof-reading was not proof read before hitting “Post Now” button.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I find it annoying as well.

On the subject of proof reading, I check my typing before posting and still wind up going back and editing the post later. Something about seeing it "live" versus editing while typing.

I suspect the increased incidence of such errors in Kindle books is because a lot of them are self-published with no professional proof reading or editing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post