SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That moment of confusion and embareassmant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That moment of confusion and embareassmant Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
is when you leave Cabelas with your Model 70 and you discover your key fob fails to open the Subaru two spaces from yours. Same kind Subaru. Same color. AAArrrghh!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOLOLOL reminds me of something as a kid. I think about half of us have done what you did.

I was eating dinner at Picadilly's with my grandparents when I was about 8......as we were walking in there was this really old couple, who kept trying the key in their black Lincoln towncar…...and they couldn't get the door open.....my grandfather tried to help them....but the key wouldn't unlock the doors.......well they realized that someone stole their black Lincoln towncar that was parked in the very same spot and someone else parked their with a nearly identical black Lincoln towncar.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I play a little game with my wife whenever there is the same model and color car parked near ours.

About 90% of the time if I walk towards the "wrong car" my wife will follow.

Hilarities ensue Wink

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Key fobs and the headlights flashing help us senior people find the right vehicle.
Of course fob batteries seem to go dead at inconvient times! The key seems to work better then, unless you are blonde. Wink

Jimmy good story, new on me , car stolen and identical one parks in same spot! What are the odds?

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
in 1958 our family had a 1957 ford sedan... after church dad retrieved car from parking lot... as we arrived at home - mother realized that we were in wrong car - this car had a radio and ours didn"t. dad returned to church lot to find OUR car and the other family trying to gain access to OUR car. after proving our key worked on their car all was forgiven................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
never had that problem when I drove MINI Coopers,

however, now that I drive gray Honda Civic,

the keyfob is my locator

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I attended the Concours Delegance weekend in Monterey, Ca. The featured mark was the Ferrari and there were 1000 Ferraris in Montery that weekend. At one event, they were parking cars by country of origin, all the Italian cars together, all the German cars together and so forth. As I was walking through the Ferrari section, most of which were red, I heard the gentleman in front of me say to his friend, "I can't find my car." I thought to myself, where else but in this town, on this weekend, could you be driving a red Ferrari and not be able to find it in a parking lot.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've done that a couple of times. With door handles that open to the touch. So I'm just yanking at the door handle several times.

Worst was one time, I looked at the wheels and thought, "Someone swapped my wheels!" as they were different (probably more expensive). What an idiot ( i was).

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:

new on me , car stolen and identical one parks in same spot! What are the odds?
Much more common than you think. Thieves steal an item and substitute a clone.

A variation on this theme: back about 20 years ago, maybe a bit longer, the most popular aircraft NAVCOM (NAVigation & COMmunication) radio was the KX-155 series, initially made by King, later by Bendix and Honeywill. These were not cheap units, and were in demand by buyers. Stolen units could be identified by serial number; there was a database of stolen serial numbers that was available to be checked by licensed repair shops.

What the thieves did: Steal the radio from airplane A, then go to airplane B, remove the radio from airplane B and replace it with the radio from airplane A. The owner of airplane A will report his radio stolen. It is actually in airplane B. The owner of airplane B is not missing a radio, his airplane has the radio from airplane A, and since the KX-155 radios all look alike, the owner of airplane B is not aware that he has somebody else's radio and the thieves have his radio, so it does not get reported as stolen. The thieves now have a radio with a clean serial number and they can sell it.

It was July 4th weekend, sometime around 1992, that they hit our airport, and in one night they got a bunch of KX-155 radios. Many airplanes were broken into, and the KX-155s were the only things taken. The guess was that they all wound up in Central or South America.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30635 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the thieves did: Steal the radio from airplane A, then go to airplane B, remove the radio from airplane B and replace it with the radio from airplane A. The owner of airplane A will report his radio stolen. It is actually in airplane B. The owner of airplane B is not missing a radio, his airplane has the radio from airplane A ...

Posts: 27916 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm on the other side of this.

I have about a 30% success rate opening Fords and about half of the Freightliner trucks with the key for my Dodge.

The good news is my truck will not lock the doors when the key is in the ignition.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
This was not the only time either.

Back in the 70s I had a Pinto hatchback
I parked in a lot and shopped across the way. Coming back I entered the Pinto which I did not lock. Sat in the seat and tried to start it. Key would not turn I wiggled the steering wheel, but no key turn. I looked around in confusion. I looked between the seats and remarked to myself "That's not my purse". Looking up I saw a bunch of ladies in the large laundromat window laughing their heads off. Then I looked beside me at my own Pinto. Pintos matched exact except for the purse. And key.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
New lighter wheels are in order!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
four or five times a month I find myself waiting for a buddy or neighbor at a wal mart or other big box store.

and every single time I see a half dozen people wandering around looking for their car.

up and down isles, around and through the lanes .

some have kids in tow.

I want buy a dozen magnetic cones and offer to sell'em to these people , so they can see them from the front of the store , and never meander or wander again

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that there are Subarus in a Cabelas parking lot!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I had a white 1983 Toyota Tercel. Awesome car by the way.

I had taken it to a dealer for four new tires. When I returned, I did a walk around, and noticed, even after I had paid. I didn’t have four new tires.

They had put them on another white Tercel. And the manager had shown me that my key not only opened the other car, it started it as well.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Years ago, I attended the Concours Delegance weekend in Monterey, Ca. The featured mark was the Ferrari and there were 1000 Ferraris in Montery that weekend. At one event, they were parking cars by country of origin, all the Italian cars together, all the German cars together and so forth. As I was walking through the Ferrari section, most of which were red, I heard the gentleman in front of me say to his friend, "I can't find my car." I thought to myself, where else but in this town, on this weekend, could you be driving a red Ferrari and not be able to find it in a parking lot.

"Is it that one over there?"

"No, you fool...that one is in rosso corsa and mine is rosso barchetta!"

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I'm amazed that there are Subarus in a Cabelas parking lot!

Easy there, might be my Outback !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
We drive a red GMC pickup. My wife knows red and pickup. In a parking lot she will head towards any red pickup in the lot. I always ask her if she would like to take our truck home or is she trying to find a new one? She doesn't always find me amusing. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
It could be worse...

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post