SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Need new Federal standard for tortilla chip strength
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new Federal standard for tortilla chip strength Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I for one am tired of my Tostito's brand "scoops" failing. I am going to write my congressman, Dave Brat, to introduce legislation that any chip that may at some time be dipped into any brand of hummus, having any flavor enhancement whatsoever, is required by law to be able to bring up no less than 1 ounce (28 grams) of hummus without breaking. The chip must not break when held by thumb and forefinger with no more than 10 N force betwixt, and scoop up the aforesaid 28 grams of hummus when rotated through hummus that is maintained at between 3 and 6 degrees C (37 and 43 degrees F) for at least eight hours. Failure to bring hummus from the container to the mouth will be immediately punishable as a Class D misdemeanor through summary judgment, and prison terms shall be no less than one month in a Federal Penitentiary. If breakage is noted in more than one bag of chips, nationwide, the entire lot shall be condemned and recalled. Furthermore, all chip production shall cease until suitable corrective actions are taken, including but not limited to use of organic hippie blue corn, real beef tallow, slow baking ovens, and packaging like Pringles chips where damage is minimized.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your issue is hummus. Tortilla chips are intended for consumption with salsa, and cold beer. Your proposed legislation should require both.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Your issue is hummus. Tortilla chips are intended for consumption with salsa, and cold beer. Your proposed legislation should require both.

Have you tried Frito's Scoops ?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Wrong tool for the job. Hummus demand pita chips, if not veggies.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Wrong tool for the job. Hummus demand pita chips, if not veggies.

Negative. Real pita, or better yet, naan.

As far as tortilla chips go, I'm rather fond of the Taste Of Lime ones. I emptied a bag just the other day.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fingers were made before chips.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
If we're gonna make something punishable by law in this situation, it should be the manufacture and distribution of hummus. Wink

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Double up your chip. Back to back chips usually solves this problem.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Chili's (the restaurant) chips are the very worst. They are big but paper thin and you cannot get any salsa on them without them snapping. I don't know why they make them that way other than cost maybe.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
stir the hummus before may help,

but yes, scoops were made for salso or cheesy dip,

beer is not optional,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10419 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
So you asked Representative Brat to do his wurst?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
better yet, naan.
Yup, naan. Aldi has a garlic naan that is our household favorite.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
So you asked Representative Brat to do his wurst?

Booooooo...and likewise, Hissssssssss...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hummus and Chips?

Is that even legal?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Chili's (the restaurant) chips are the very worst. They are big but paper thin and you cannot get any salsa on them without them snapping. I don't know why they make them that way other than cost maybe.

A lot of people prefer thin chips, and many salsas and dips still work fine with them, especially table salsas - whether red or green, jalapeno or tomatillo, garlicky or not, etc. Some super chunky salsas are picos or chutneys masquerading as salsa. Get a scooper. Smile

While living in Austin, there were two unrelated Tortilla factories in my neighborhood, both run by Mexicans, both been around a long time, one of whom is famous for its thin chips. I bought fresh, still warm, bags direct from the attached store on a regular basis.

I like both kinds, and all manner of salsas and dips, but thin are definitely my favorite.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need new Federal standard for tortilla chip strength

I thought we didn't like Federal intervention in everything. Razz

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post