SIGforum
Meme generator spell un-check

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9470084734

February 09, 2018, 06:35 AM
MNSIG
Meme generator spell un-check
Holy smokes! Does every Internet meme generator include an automatic spell un-checker? It seems like half of the clever ones out there contain an error big enough and obvious enough that I'm reluctant to share them for fear of being associated with its authorship.

First world gripe, but jeez.
February 09, 2018, 08:42 AM
Orguss
Meme generators don't write the text. They simply provide a popular meme pic with the text bars pre-positioned and awaiting the text anyone wants to provide. So blame the shitty spelling on people who think "it's just the internet" and don't think they need to use proper spelling or grammar.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
February 09, 2018, 09:07 AM
sigmonkey
Oftentimes, the misspellings and grammar foibles are on purpose and add to the humor. Sometimes it is out of ignorance of same, and then there is the overbaked injection of such that is distracting and ruins the "funny".

I love puns, all manner of play on words and good "inside baseball".

I am the unpainted clown.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
February 09, 2018, 09:15 AM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Meme generators don't write the text.

I know. It just seems that there must be some evil force behind the abundance of errors. Perhaps I'd just like to believe that people aren't that sloppy.
February 09, 2018, 10:42 AM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Meme generators don't write the text.

I know. It just seems that there must be some evil force behind the abundance of errors. Perhaps I'd just like to believe that people aren't that sloppy.

I like your optimism, and the fact that is hasn't been crushed like a rat under a sledgehammer yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
February 09, 2018, 01:40 PM
Muddflap
It’s the internet. No one cares. It’s not like people use it for communication or anything.

Things like capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, and spelling don’t even rate consideration.

Hells bells, people don’t even know the difference between then and than.
February 10, 2018, 05:14 PM
flesheatingvirus

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
February 11, 2018, 10:38 AM
MikeNH
Even worse is the people who share that shit when it's some story of outrage and 10 seconds of searching proves it to be bogus.

I've posted "Stop getting your news from memes" probably 20 times this year already.
February 11, 2018, 11:10 AM
RAMIUS
You can easily download an app to make your own meme with correct spelling. Quick and easy.

I use it quite frequently, my sister in law is very gullible and doesn’t think twice about passing along things on Facebook without verifying them. I like to make fake memes of “tips” with just a hint of truth and pass them on to her.

Something like, “adding toothepaste to steak marinade will ensure even cooking” on a picture with a perfect steak usually is along the lines of how I operate.

It’s amazing how a convincing picture with text is a trusted by people to be true.
February 11, 2018, 02:06 PM
ArtieS
You, Ramius, are an evil man.

But, I must admit, I kind of like your style...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
February 11, 2018, 10:46 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
You, Ramius, are an evil man.

But, I must admit, I kind of like your style...

MoohooHahaha, thanks!
February 12, 2018, 07:09 AM
SIG 229R
I am a member of only ONE social site "Facebook" and I am very cautious about what I comment on or pass on to others and who I friend. If I don't personally know you I do NOT hit the accept button.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"
February 22, 2018, 04:02 PM
shotandabeer
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
It’s the internet. No one cares. It’s not like people use it for communication or anything.

Things like capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, and spelling don’t even rate consideration.

And not to mention, there, their and they're
February 22, 2018, 08:21 PM
OneWheelDrive

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."
February 23, 2018, 02:55 PM
Tomkat
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:

Finally! I thought I was the only one. Geez people:
Then and than are not synonymous.
To, too and two are not synonymous.
There, their and they're are not synonymous.
Come and go are not synonymous.
Came and went are not synonymous.
Bring and take are not synonymous.
Brought and took are not synonymous.
Oh ya, you are not saying "should of", you are saying "should've".

Sorry, I refuse to be spelling/grammar/word-usage nazi; so, I have to jump when presented the opportunity.

Here endeth the rant.