SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Did you know it's actually possible
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know it's actually possible Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
to apply Never Seize to bolts without ending up looking like the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz?

No, really. I did it this morning. First time ever, and I've been using that stuff for 40 years or more.

(Mechanics will get this...)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Well sure, you can do it if you cheat and wear a hazmat suit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the white food grade in my carry pistol.

No need to be uncivilized.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Anti-seize, as well as thread locker, gets everywhere. And have you ever used Indian Head gasket sealer?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
I just smear some on my fingers right when I open the bottle to get that part out of the way.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
I wear latex gloves for 95% of mechanical work. Already got too much toxic crap in my blood stream, I'd imagine.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiber optic:
I just smear some on my fingers right when I open the bottle to get that part out of the way.

I can relate. I usually pump the first dab out of the grease gun directly on my jeans...

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I apply Never-Seize the same way I apply Loc-Tite. A little dab on something I will ultimately throw away, then transferred to the part that needs it.

I still get it everywhere.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I use an old toothbrush, it really gets it into the threads and works great. Allows me to use a perfect amount. I just pop it into one of those tall, skinny Crystal Light containers between uses (you have to cut about an inch off the handle to get the lid on) and it doesn't dry out. Since it still has plenty of anti seize in it, I get to use it again and again without re-applying.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
^^^ I like it. Nice tip, thanks.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In the 'Force, I used to fill my fatigue's pockets with the fasteners I needed, hop in a 55 gallon drum of anti-sieze, then use P-D-680 to wash off the excess.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
In the 'Force, I used to fill my fatigue's pockets with the fasteners I needed, hop in a 55 gallon drum of anti-sieze, then use P-D-680 to wash off the excess.

That explains a lot.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Dab the tip of the bolt on the opening of the never seize and right into the hole. A little dab-l-do-ya.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The miracle would be if you used up a can of anti seize.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
The miracle would be if you used up a can of anti seize.

Not sure anybody has lived that long since Methuselah.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Gawd, can I relate to that.

I'm doing pretty well on my farm, though. I'm half way through a bottle that I bought just 4 years ago. Neat thing, it has a brush attached to the cap. I still get it everywhere.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I took the front seats out of my truck in order to give it a good cleaning. The bolts go through the floor and are exposed to the elements. They were difficult to remove, so I thought I would coat them with anti-seize. Of course I now have silver splotches on my black interior Smile.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a guy that used to work for us that would get the stuff everywhere. The joke was if he was using anti seize that you would have it on you by the end of the day, even if he was a different job site.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I bought the guys in the shop a can of aerosol Teflon dry film last place I worked.

No more anti seize all over the place. 24 bolts per assembly, 3/4" x 8" long. We'd go through a can a month. And the assembly time went from 5 minutes of brushing and 20 minutes of cleaning to just the 5 minutes of application.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
3M 4200 is the worst for me. I get it all over everything when I try to use it.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post