SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The NHL Caved in
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NHL Caved in Login/Join 
posted
I was holding out hope that the NHL would not go down the same path as the NBA,NFL, MLS, MLB and Nascar.

But - as I tuned in with great anticipation for the launch of the playoff tournament - they caved. The first 15 minutes were a tribute to a different social justice warriors in each major NHL city.

Since I only carried cable TV for sports, I will be cancelling with Comcast on Monday morning. I am actually smiling as I type this ! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You knew it would happen.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all afraid of being boycotted/cancelled/whatever if they don't support the communists.

What they need to see is a mass boycott by ALL of the citizens that don't support the communists. Don't watch any professional sports. Let the ratings collapse. Let the advertisers stop paying absurd fees for a 30 second spot. Money is what they are about, and it is the only thing they understand.

Anti-communists can cancel too. Cancel professional sports. Anyone who loves this country and still watches these overpaid crybabies is part of the problem.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
They are all afraid of being boycotted/cancelled/whatever if they don't support the communists.

What they need to see is a mass boycott by ALL of the citizens that don't support the communists. Don't watch any professional sports. Let the ratings collapse. Let the advertisers stop paying absurd fees for a 30 second spot. Money is what they are about, and it is the only thing they understand.

Anti-communists can cancel too. Cancel professional sports. Anyone who loves this country and still watches these overpaid crybabies is part of the problem.

Agreed, piss all over all professional sports.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I was flipping thru the channels and came across a game of Lacrosse this afternoon.
Even their jerseys had a BLM patch on them.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far they’ve had one player kneel, as far as I know hopefully he’s the only one. What’s really interesting/disturbing is 1: he’s not black, he’s Filipino and Romanian/German. 2: his team wasn’t even playing in the game he knelt before. And 3: he only knelt for the USA anthem and not the Canadian one.

What’s even more interesting is there were 2 black players playing in said game, neither of them knelt they stood on either side with a hand on his shoulder.

This BLM “movement” will eventually become a fad, like disco and parachute pants. Right now it’s the most shiny thing, once the shine wears off and a new shiny thing comes along it will fade like imitation jeans.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish people would start voting with their wallets and quit watching this crap all together. A message needs to be sent.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was curious- "less than 5% of the NHL is made up of players of color — that's 43 players out of more than 700 in the league".

I don't think the NHL has the same fan base as the NFL or NBA.

https://wdet.org/posts/2020/01...gs-a-historic-first/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping they wouldn't. I should have known better. Goodbye NHL and that is the last pro sport I watched.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't bother me to see all those multi million dollar contract sports 'professionals' out of jobs.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, saw some screenshots of the season opener. A bunch of stuff about social justice and blm. It was honestly an inevitability - they would have been the only major sports league in the US not bending the knee, and therefore a prime target for "protests against racism."

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I wish people would start voting with their wallets and quit watching this crap all together. A message needs to be sent.

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
So far they’ve had one player kneel, as far as I know hopefully he’s the only one. What’s really interesting/disturbing is 1: he’s not black, he’s Filipino and Romanian/German. 2: his team wasn’t even playing in the game he knelt before. And 3: he only knelt for the USA anthem and not the Canadian one.

It always starts with one and then spreads like the cancer it is.

Multiple NHL Players Kneel During The National Anthem

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had been a fan for over 40 years, but yesterday I deleted the nhl app from my phone. I no longer care about their game, it's not my game these days.
More time for ice fishing this winter.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

That would be Matt Dumba from the Minnesota Wild! Surprise!! He has become the appointed SJW mouth piece for the NHL. I was hoping the NHL would have taken notice how the NBA and MLB ratings tanked after people realized they were promoting the BLM nonsense which everyone is sick of seeing and hearing.

The NHL missed a golden opportunity to expand their fan base. People want to watch a sporting event to get away from all the virtue signalling. But the truth is there are millions of people out there whose lives are so shallow that their entire identity relies on the success of a local sports team. These people will watch and play fantasy sports regardless of anything else.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Who's left? I thought the NHL were going to avoid this...as of last week. Another past time down the tubes. NASCAR and baseball were the biggest disappointments for me.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:

It always starts with one and then spreads like the cancer it is.

What really pisses me off about that is Ryan Reeves didn't kneel before Vegas' first game. He was asked about it beforehand and said it was discussed but if every player wasn't onboard he wasn't going to because he didn't want any of his teammates to feel weird about it. I thought that was so classy and indicative of the respect hockey players have for each other as well as the anthem(s). Then next game against Dallas this shit happens, which makes me wonder/think it was the 2 white Stars players that pushed for it. I live in DFW, never been much of a Stars fan, but even so this is just so wrong coming from them. Really makes me wonder what will happen when the regular season starts and fans are allowed back in. The city of Dallas is fairly liberal now, but overall the metroplex is pretty conservative so hopefully people will vote with their wallets and not support these clowns.

And of course every time this happens they have to gush about it when talking about the games as if it makes any meaningful difference. You do have to appreciate the irony that with no fans in attendance, and hockey ranking pretty low overall in viewership in general, hardly anyone is even seeing these antics.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Here's how Ryan Reaves went from not kneeling to kneeling. Read some of the quotes of these shallow minded imbeciles.

quote:
Ryan Reaves knew what he was going to do. The question was whether he’d be doing it alone.

Matt Dumba did. When he raised his fist for the American and Canadian national anthems before Game 1 of the Minnesota Wild’s qualifying-round series against the Vancouver Canucks Sunday night, no other teammate took part. Asked about it in a conference call Monday, Wild coach Dean Evason said, “Nope, there’s been no discussions, and the only thing that we’ve discussed as a staff – as I’ve mentioned before – is that we want to eliminate racism for good.”

But the situation played out differently for Reaves, the Vegas Golden Knights and the Dallas Stars before their round-robin tilt Monday night. Reaves had a kneeling partner on his own team in goaltender Robin Lehner, who was determined to make a statement against racism in America as a way of, in his mind, atoning for some previous pro-Donald Trump political statements he made via his mask artwork a few years ago.

“I did the mistake once, put the Trump sticker on my mask, something I regret now, seeing how divisive things have been,” Lehner said via Zoom conference call Monday. “But at the end of the day, this is not politics. This is human rights. It’s not about politics. Everyone’s talking about conversation and education and listening, but it’s time to start doing something, not just let this be a news cycle and forget about it and do it all over again. Everyone should have the same chance in society. Everyone should be treated the same. I’ve seen a lot growing up. My family is of color, and what I’ve seen, how things are, disgusts me. At the end of the day, I love America, but there’s a bunch of things that needs to be corrected. I think they have the power to do so. It’s just about willingness to do something about it. I think it’s time for whites to step into battle with our brothers and sisters and make some change, stop just talking about it and actually do something.

Reaves made the decision to kneel Monday, making a potent statement after he’d expressed concern days earlier that he worried taking a knee would make his teammates uncomfortable. Speaking on the Zoom call Monday, Reaves was adamant his kneeling was not about disrespecting the American flag.

“I have the utmost respect for everybody that’s gone over and fought and died for the freedom of this country,” Reaves said. “Bill Foley our owner is one of the best guys I’ve ever met, and he’s a military guy. So that’s not the message I’m trying to send. But at the same time, those people go across seas, and they go to war, and families are torn apart in these wars for the freedom of this country only to come back and find out this country isn’t free for everybody. That’s where I’m coming from. Not everybody is truly free in this country.”

So the two Golden Knights teammates were ready to express themselves, but Reaves had a hunch he’d have at least one ally on the other team in Tyler Seguin. Among white NHLers, the Stars’ No. 1 center has become the most vocal and active supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement, attending a protest in June after the death of George Floyd, so if anyone would be open to kneeling, it was him.

“I talked to Reaves in warmups, and he said he’s been seeing what I’ve been doing in Dallas, and he said him and Lehner were going to kneel and if I’d like to join them,” Seguin said Monday via Zoom call. “I said ‘Absolutely,’ so I joined them. So before the game, I went in the dressing room and just told (my team) what I was doing. I said there was absolutely no pressure to do anything.

That’s when center Jason Dickson approached Seguin.

“Dickinson grabbed me and said he’d like to be part of it and support his beliefs and my beliefs and support me as a teammate, and it was great to have him there as well,” Seguin said.

It was a natural choice for Dickinson, too, as the movement is a personal one for him.

“I’ve got some people of color in my family, my dad comes from the islands, and one of my uncles is black, so it was easy for me – easy decision,” Dickinson said. “I’ve been thinking about it since everything started, if I would do that. And I was probably nervous to think about doing it on my own, and when ‘Seggy’ said it, it was a no-brainer for me that I wouldn’t be alone doing it – and to support the cause and support my teammates.”

So were the white men who joined Reaves motivated by watching Dumba, who is half Filipino, standing up for the cause alone the previous night?

“Yeah, there was some influence with that,” Seguin said. “Nothing against his teammates or anything like that. Everyone’s got their own choices. I don’t think that means anyone doesn’t support him. But definitely being two white guys, to do what we did, I wanted to be a part of that movement if there was an opportunity. I can’t say honestly I was going to go out there on my own and take a knee, but with them having a black player on their team, and his beliefs, and how I’ve said from Day 1, I’m going to back it up in ways that I can…that’s why I chose to support that and why I’m very proud ‘Dickie’ did, for standing up and doing what he believes as well.”

Monday, then, was a big step for the NHL. Does taking a knee solve the problem of racism? Obviously not. But it tells people of color that they’re not alone. And in Seguin’s case, it’s just the beginning. As he stated Monday, before Reaves approached him, he’d already been thinking about what steps he’ll take for the BLM movement once Dallas’ season ends and he exits the Edmonton bubble.

So Reaves’ Golden Knights won on the ice Monday – and a couple Stars scored a big figurative win by showing their support for Reaves’ cause.

The Hockey News

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a time, back when MEN played in the NHL, where they would police their own when this type of crap occurred. There was also a time where an opposing teams player, kneeling or showing disrespect during the national anthem of the opposing team/nation, would have been considered public enemy #1 in hockey.

My how far we have fallen.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's amazing that these people don't know what their product is. What it is they're selling. They're selling escapism, that's what professional sports are. A chance for people to forget about their miserable jobs, their home lives, family trouble and politics, and to "worry" about something frivolous for a change. A chance to escape.

But nope.. they can't help but hit you with the very things you're trying to escape. What utter ninnies.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post