SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Turned off baseball tonight
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turned off baseball tonight Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I was so excited. The summer camp games have been good and the local announcers kept the talk about baseball.

But tonight, nope, We have BLM patches on the uniforms and sanctioned kneeling. I just got tired of it. so I changed the channel.

No crowds really is a dick punch as well. Even the ESPN commercial was full of screaming fans. Then back to the empty stadium and BLM crap. I was done. sorry. I will check back in if all this goes away. till then. I am out I guess.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s really disappointing, especially for “America’s pastime”. I don’t watch much baseball anymore, but it’s the only sport other than hockey I can stand to watch at all. I guess now hockey is the last bastion of sanity in pro sports. Since most hockey players are Canadian or European/Russian hopefully the political bs will stay away.

Between the ever increasing salaries and corresponding increase in ticket prices, plus the social justice nonsense we may be seeing the beginning of the end of pro sports as we know it.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Hell I turned baseball off back in the what 80's?.... when the players went on strike. Haven't missed it a bit.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what the drop in viewership will be for the NFL, NBA and MLB but I suspect it will come to the attention of advertisers. Less ad revenue will eventually affect salaries.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My beloved Red Sox have gone to the dark side:

Sam Kennedy responded to the ‘Black Lives Matter’ billboard outside Fenway Park

"We don't see it as a political statement...We see it as a human rights message."

by Deyscha Smith, Boston.com Staff
July 23, 2020

The 254-foot ‘Black Lives Matter’ billboard that stands outside Fenway Park is not a political statement, according to Red Sox team president and CEO Sam Kennedy — it’s simply an acknowledgment of the team’s commitment to racial justice.

In a Zoom conference call on Thursday, Kennedy clarified that the billboard represents the team’s commitment to ‘stand with’ and support the Black Lives Matter movement.

“The amplification and reinforcement of the Black Lives Matter message or movement, we don’t see it as a political statement. We see it as a human rights statement,” Kennedy said during the call. “It’s important to our employees [and] our players. And so it’s something we feel very strongly about. We understand and respect that others may see it as a political statement [but] we don’t see it as a political statement or an endorsement of any political organization or political policies. We see it as a human rights message for justice and equality. And there’s an incredibly powerful movement going on around the globe right now..."

Complete article;

https://www.boston.com/sports/...illboard-fenway-park

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Same here. Gave away my Braves stuff. Done.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
...plus the social justice nonsense we may be seeing the beginning of the end of pro sports as we know it.

Couldn't have phrased it better.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i gave up a long time ago.
Sure it is a pol. statement.

Reverse that to WLM and how would that fly?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Pro sports used to be a refuge from life’s daily annoyances in general and politics in particular. Now its ground zero. Cannot blame you for walking away.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
My beloved Red Sox have gone to the dark side:

Sam Kennedy responded to the ‘Black Lives Matter’ billboard outside Fenway Park

"We don't see it as a political statement...We see it as a human rights message."

Yeah, I think I saw the GM of the Detroit Tigers mouthing the same kind of BS in the sports segment of the local "news" the other day.

I gave up on MLB after the first players strike, so I don't really care, but it did make me shake my head.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
That’s really disappointing, especially for “America’s pastime”. I don’t watch much baseball anymore, but it’s the only sport other than hockey I can stand to watch at all. I guess now hockey is the last bastion of sanity in pro sports. Since most hockey players are Canadian or European/Russian hopefully the political bs will stay away.

Between the ever increasing salaries and corresponding increase in ticket prices, plus the social justice nonsense we may be seeing the beginning of the end of pro sports as we know it.

I seriously doubt it, the NHL will cave as well.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The wife had the Braves game on last night. The damn thing had a laugh track!

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I grew up playing baseball and love the game to this day. I just watched my last MLB game. I hope and pray the college game isn’t corrupted with this nonsense but I’m not holding my breath. I gave up the NFL several years ago so I can part ways with this as well. It’s a shame though.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Pro sports used to be a refuge from life’s daily annoyances in general and politics in particular. Now its ground zero.

Pro sports has been shooting themselves in the foot (among other places) for years now. Between the "woke" and "SJW" crap and the coddling of miscreants and thugs, they lost me long ago. The above sentiments speak volumes and is spot on.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes, the sanctioned BLM crap was no-go in our house. Despite being a life long baseball fan, my wife couldnt do it. We turned it off and thats that. We are tired of supporting orginizations that hate us

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be hard but I am not watching. I really enjoy baseball and football. Hopefully, they let amateurs play soon. I have a feeling this crap will be there too.

At least I have my garden...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I have no patience with those who elect to take the 'solidarity knee'. The gross disrespect these millionaire bums show, is utterly sickening!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Baseball is out in our house as well. Enough is enough.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I was really surprised at how angry I got. I really love baseball and I felt like I was getting gut punched or something. The Yankees did a solidarity "all kneel" but then all stood for the national anthem. And I guess the patches were not 'required' only allowed as part of the uniform. So, when does a lawsuit determine that the patches for "all lives matter" or "Blue Lives matter" or damn, "MAGA" get to be a patch that is worn.

The announcers (ESPN not the local MASN guys) were gushing in the 5th about how Woke it all was. clicky clicky. I was done.

The frustrating thing is you cant prove a negative. There is no way we can be 'woke' enough, or do these three things and your 'good'. You cant even be a generally good person. There is no way out of this madness.

So MLB, when do you take the damn patch off? When do you stop kneeling? If you logically continue down this path, where does it lead?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i didn't even turn it on.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post