SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People with the short term memory of a goldfish employed in the service industry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People with the short term memory of a goldfish employed in the service industry Login/Join 
Picture of RaiseHal
posted
My getting a sandwich at publix and the moron behind the counter.

What can I get you?
I'll have a large Publix turkey sandwich on wheat.
What kind of bread?
Wheat.
Half or whole?
Whole.

What kind of sandwich was that?
Publix turkey.

Fast forward a little....... What do you want on your sandwich?
Everything except oil and vinegar.
Onion?
Yes please, every thing but no oil or vinegar.
Pickles?
Yes, everything but oil and vinegar.
Bell peppers?
Olives?
Yes , everything but oil and vinegar.
Banana peppers? Person behind me laughs loudly. Servers face turns red.
Server adds lettuce without asking and then picks up the oil and vinegar bottles but I stop him before he adds them.
WTF?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That's why he works at Publix.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
When someone can’t remember things like that, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. That person may be going through a rough time in life or very recently lost someone they love.

Then there’s always the possibility that they used a lot of LSD and their brain is fried. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I had to resist going all Samuel L Jackson Pulp Fiction mode on his ass...... English, mother fucker, do you speak it?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lack of training might be the problem

if he knew what he was doing , he'd be working someplace that paid more

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Publix doesn't usually have that problem. He will either learn, or he won't be at Publix long. They typically have some of the best customer service to be found.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Publix doesn't usually have that problem. He will either learn, or he won't be at Publix long. They typically have some of the best customer service to be found.

I agree. Same thing with Chick-fil-a, I will run into a cashier that doesn't listen to my easy and detailed order, usually repeated more than once. Don't see them anymore soon after.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have to say generally Publix has better employees and prides themselves on the customer service aspect, not the least expensive, but it's always clean and the food is always fresh.

I deal with that exchange daily, nothing like calling some CS departments then as soon as they answer giving them my name, company name, what it is I'm calling about etc only to have them ask you why I'm calling, my name, contract #, asking for everything I've already provided. etc.

It's at the point when I call I just wait for them to ask vs offering the info up front, their programming won't allow it... reduces my frustration.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There's a whole thread on the subject:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4690077854

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The whole issue... is ... is ... wait.

What is this thread about again?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I find that Publix employees are generally a cut above Winn-Dixie, WalMart, or most other grocery stores in this area. Although the WalMart Neighborhood Grocery (or whatever it's called) has pretty good staff.
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

nothing like calling some CS departments then as soon as they answer giving them my name, company name, what it is I'm calling about etc only to have them ask you why I'm calling, my name, contract #, asking for everything I've already provided. etc.
When they ask for that information again, I am tempted to offer a gentle reminder that it really has not changed in the past 45 seconds. I am trying to be a nicer person, so I usually withhold that remark, at least the first time around.

It is particularly annoying in a "chat" session with customer service, when all they really need to do is look at the screen to see that the information is already there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I find that Publix employees are generally a cut above Winn-Dixie, WalMart, or most other grocery stores in this area. Although the WalMart Neighborhood Grocery (or whatever it's called) has pretty good staff.Publix.

I'm not saying they don't, have good employees, only shopped in one once, while on vacation. The lady at the deli counter was excellent and super friendly. In general working in a grocery store is a starting point for many, just like a fast food restaurant. You can't expect the same service as a Three Star Michelin rated restaurant while ordering a sammy on your lunch break.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Having not shopped at Publix, why do you have to request a Publix turkey sandwich? Do they typically make Arby's turkey sandwiches unless specified? Smile

Guess it is to call out use of store brand turkey vs. Some other?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Bingo. Publix vs Boar's Head.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
There's a whole thread on the subject:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4690077854

Was thinking the same, consensus seemed to be service people were beyond reproach and to be treated with compassion? Hmmmm.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I deal with that exchange daily, nothing like calling some CS departments then as soon as they answer giving them my name, company name, what it is I'm calling about etc only to have them ask you why I'm calling, my name, contract #, asking for everything I've already provided. etc.

It's at the point when I call I just wait for them to ask vs offering the info up front, their programming won't allow it... reduces my frustration.

Yup, this ^^^ They're reading off a script and anything offered that they didn't ask for is a waste of breath. Took me a while to figure that out too.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Having not shopped at Publix, why do you have to request a Publix turkey sandwich? Do they typically make Arby's turkey sandwiches unless specified? Smile

Publix deli offers two kinds of meat for many of their sandwiches: Boars Head, and Publix Premium. Sandwich for sandwich, the Publix Premium is generally a buck less than the Boars Head and I have found it to be every bit as good. When ordering a sandwich, be it turkey (when my wife chooses) or Italian (when it's my turn to choose), I specify "the good Publix meat, not that second-rate Boars Head stuff." That usually gets a laugh from the deli guy / gal who is making the sandwich.

Side note: I am usually quick to praise Publix. When it comes to made-to-order deli sandwiches though, I like Winn-Dixie better, and they are a buck less than Publix. Not every Winn-Dixie, there seem to be two "classes" of Winn-Dixie grocery stores. It's the more "upscale" ones that make the good sandwiches. Unfortunately, the Winn-Dixie location near my house is not one of these, but the location near the airport is.

If I remember correctly, the better Winn-Dixie stores are called "Winn-Dixie Market Place."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a teen I had the privilege of waiting on many CUSTOMERS with the brain of a goldfish. The ice cream parlor had a LARGE Board hanging on the wall with the list of flavors available.

What flavors do you have was the favorite question. Our boss told us we were not allowed to point, but would have to turn around and read the names slowly. The next question was how come you do not have 33 flavors like Baskin Robbins. Well, we are NOT Baskin Robbins. Customers could be insufferable. The adults that dropped their ice cream wanted another cone for free. I got a union job after a few summers. That was better.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Yup, this ^^^ They're reading off a script and anything offered that they didn't ask for is a waste of breath. Took me a while to figure that out too.[/QUOTE]

And because they may have been told that they must follow and not deviate from the script or there will be retribution.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

how come you do not have 33 flavors like Baskin Robbins.
I have never been in a Baskin Robbins that actually had 33 flavors available. Maybe a dozen or so, at most.

When I asked about this, because they did not have the flavor that I wanted, I was told that they had a selection of a dozen or so, out of the 33 possible flavors.

In other words, they have some flavors, each of which is one of the flavors on the official Baskin Robbins list of 33.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים