SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not really a rant, but Capital One is buying up everything.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not really a rant, but Capital One is buying up everything. Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
They have bought Household Bank's (later HSBC) Mastercard, World's Foremost Bank (Cabela's) Visa and now Synchrony Bank's Walmart Mastercard. All these accounts have, or are expected to, transitioned smoothly, and I have not been affected by Cap One's recent security breach. To the best of my knowledge they aren't anti-gun or they wouldn't have bought Cabela's, who sells guns. I am just not sure if this is good or bad.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They changed the cycle period from the 25th of the month to the 1st recently and failed to give a 30 day notice.

So I go to the bank to deposit some postal money orders on my MC account and they wouldn't cash them since I did not have a checking account at their bank.

I asked to speak to the manager who was on the phone. After ten minutes of waiting I left. I could hear the conversation and he was planning his weekend with his wife or girl friend.

Their card is the only one that I get a transaction which is not mine. Recently, I have had three within a 1 1/2 year period.

I have also started getting emails that lead me to believe someone got their data from Capital One. I have three other credit cards and haven't had any problems in years.

They just have bad security and recently caught someone that got into their system but how many are there that haven't been caught??

A hacker gained access to 100 million Capital One credit card applications and accounts

By Rob McLean, CNN Business

New York (CNN Business)In one of the biggest data breaches ever, a hacker gained access to more than 100 million Capital One customers' accounts and credit card applications earlier this year.
Paige Thompson is accused of breaking into a Capital One server and gaining access to 140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people's names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances, and other information, according to the bank and the US Department of Justice.

A criminal complaint says Thompson tried to share the information with others online. The 33-year-old, who lives in Seattle, had previously worked as a tech company software engineer for Amazon (AMZN) Web Services, the cloud hosting company that Capital One was using, the Justice Department said. She was able to gain access by exploiting a misconfigured web application firewall, according to a court filing.

Thompson was arrested Monday in connection with the breach, the Justice Department said. Thompson's attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

Capital One (COF) said the hack occurred March 22 and 23 and includes credit card applications as far back as 2005. The company indicated it fixed the vulnerability and said it is "unlikely that the information was used for fraud or disseminated by this individual." However, the company is still investigating. "I sincerely apologize for the understandable worry this incident must be causing those affected and I am committed to making it right," said Capital One CEO Richard Fairbank in a statement.

The breach affected around 100 million people in the United States and about 6 million people in Canada, according to Capital One.

However, "no credit card account numbers or log-in credentials were compromised and over 99% of Social Security numbers were not compromised," the company noted.

Capital One said it will notify people affected by the breach and will make free credit monitoring and identity protection available. The company expects to incur between $100 million and $150 million in costs related to the hack, including customer notifications, credit monitoring, tech costs and legal support due to the hack.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29...ta-breach/index.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Cabelas card holder here. For the most part the transition was pretty smooth. There were a few wrinkles when they switched around when electronic payments were applied (was set to pay on the due date, they didn't apply for a couple of days later. They added a late fee and then proceeded to remove them without any calls from me). That issue has been resolved.

Customer service is not as good as it was before the switch. I rarely call, but did call when my card number was hacked and it took more than a week and a couple of phone calls before the replacement card was received. Years ago when that happened they (World's Foremost Bank) overnighted a card to me without batting an eye. Capital One would do that for an additional fee, but could not guarantee a delivery date.

Capital One supposedly is going to enable virtual card numbers for the Cabelas card (they have it for the Capital One branded cards), but that hasn't been done yet. It would be really useful to me as the Cabelas card is the main one I use. When they get that implemented, I'll set up a virtual card for each of the monthly bills that are coming off the card now and if the main card gets hacked, the virtual numbers should roll over to the new card. virtual numbers can be enabled and disabled online. I use that feature when ordering from a online company I haven't done business with before.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I reading the OP correctly that if I have an HSBC MasterCard it will become capital one? I haven't gotten any notification on this happening if so.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I reading the OP correctly that if I have an HSBC MasterCard it will become capital one?

It hasn't yet? Mine was changed years ago.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got to experience some of that from the inside. I was a HSBC employee and I was NOT happy when I learned our Credit card and Retail divisions were being acquired by Capitol One. HSBC spoiled us and was a pretty solid company to work for with great benefits, motivating bonuses etc. Slowly all the stuff I liked about my job went away as Capital One took over.

They are NOT in my wallet. I see them gobbling up competitors as a bad thing as IMO they are a shit company to work for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Am I reading the OP correctly that if I have an HSBC MasterCard it will become capital one?

It hasn't yet? Mine was changed years ago.

Yeah I don't know how they missed me. I've had an HSBC MasterCard since 2005. Still going strong with no notification that it has or will change to capital one. Says HSBC on the card, I use their website (which is terrible) to manage my account.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post