SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My retirement day cannot come soon enough.......
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
My retirement day cannot come soon enough....... Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
That is all.........

Posts: 4698 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I feel ya, brother.

I wasn't eligible for my first SS check until December, but I just couldn't hold out any longer.

Turned in my keys the end of October and made up the difference out of savings until December.

Definitely one of the Top 5 Best Decisions I ever made.

Posts: 9660 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I felt the same way. Getting out of work when I did was the best decision I ever made.

Posts: 784 | Location: NW Fl | Registered: August 09, 2010Report This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I retired on the same day in April 2015. We were both 65. We stay busy and absolutely love our lifestyle. Well worth the wait.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
Liberalism is a failure to find pathways to intelligence in your brain. - David Lawrence

Posts: 1060 | Location: Kalispell Montana & South for the Winter | Registered: December 24, 2013Report This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
If it weren't for an unexpected brain injury I'd still be working. Even with my 26yrs I still enjoyed my job a lot, great pay, great benefits and good friends. I hated to leave but couldn't fulfill my duties afterwards. I really miss working and would go back in a heartbeat if I could Frown

Congrats on your retirement! I was planning on mine but plans change. Retirement is a welcome goal, enjoy yours and may good health and happiness serve you well.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 7334 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm going to work but part time. One I'm at part time now (not my full time one), a LGS on a call in basis and two others I know would like to have me manage their Ebay sales.

Someone here previously told me I would know when it's time, well I know now.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Oh, I'm going to work but part time. One I'm at part time now (not my full time one), a LGS on a call in basis and two others I know would like to have me manage their Ebay sales.

I feel like it's time now... But I have 23 more years

---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 7224 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I turn 65 next month. I'll take the slight penalty instead of waiting another year. Worked since I was 15 at various part time jobs while in high school. My full time vocation for just short of 47 years as of now. Been in grunt positions, supervisory positions, just tired.

Earlier post acidjazz posted about his illness and dreading calling into his supervisor to get a guilt trip as a response how short handed they are at work. I've had that crap handed to me for years and I don't take it anymore. Two weeks ago I left work abruptly to take my wife to an Urgent Care, flulike symptoms. I walked into my supervisors office and said "I'm gone". Monday this week she woke up at 4 A.M. with abdominal pains. Off to the E.R., I texted him at 0530 with "In E.R., be there when I get there", that's the way it goes IMO. She is more important to me than a job. That's my story and I'm sticking to it as the old saying goes.

Take one for the troops is not my outlook anymore.

Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have retired six times so far.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3461 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I feel like it's time now... But I have 23 more years

Frown 30 here

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 9956 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
358 days, 10 hrs and 51 minutes. Mark.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1644 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Get out while you can. Congress is in session spending our money as fast as they can.

Besides, SS is the world's largest Ponzi scheme. Who knows when the young ones will recognize that and refuse to play.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 18619 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
83 days to go!

You MATTER. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared. Then you ENERGY.

Posts: 6665 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been retired for exactly 7 days and I miss work. I am trusting my retired friends that it will get better, but in the meantime I applied for a very p.t. Job.

I need $ to keep up with the other ammoholics

Posts: 554 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
That's the magic number.
26 long, long months.
Now if a lottery ticket comes in a winner that number could shift to ZERO.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1641 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired at 52. I was not going to do that, but hurt my back in an accident at work(not my fault).
We were in a 40' JLG lift and the guy driving, drove into a trough while we were up 40 ft. We crashed into a steel beam, which luckily kept us from going clear to the ground. But the company forced me to return to work before my back had healed enough. I had three badly pinched nerves and bulged disks.
Every day after coming back, I had so much pain in my back, I could barely walk out to my car.
I did not medically retire, I had been there since I was just 19.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 1587 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired at 66 from a job I loved. Spent a year working around the house, my wife was still working, then went back to my old job as a consultant and fill-in anywhere guy. After 18 months I had to have back surgery so I called it quits. Now, the wife has retired so we take care of each other and do volunteer work.

Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Good for you brother.

... Damn, I've got 12 yrs & 2 months to go

Posts: 258 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: December 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never worked a 40 hour per week job since 1970. It's been a good run, only twice have I had to leave a employer not by my choice and both times the dealerships closed. Survived so many downturns and recessions unscathed without a layoff. But there comes a time where enough is enough. I want to enjoy my life now with my wife, for so many years for various reasons vacations were spent at home.

My father died young,cancer,at 53 in 1967. My mother, one week shy of her 71st birthday in 1998,after a series of strokes and heart attacks dating to 1974. She passed while I was in the hospital, about the time on day one in the hospital when a cath attempt was made on me. Day two I received a triple bypass.

I get a maximum of two weeks vacation, additional unpaid time is impossible. I spend most of my vacation time recuperating from work and then doing projects. My first week last year was spent repairing the deck, painting trim and powerwashing the siding. Last room I painted, took two weekends to get it done. Never stained the deck on the second vacation. Due to inventory and other's vacations I was not able to take anymore time off until the middle of September,by then the weather had gone to hell with rain most every day I was off.

Got a project car to make driveable, a friend gave me a mid 60's motorcycle to restore, have to go to the left coast to retrieve it. So I have a lot ahead plus a new grandson to spend some time with. Another thing, I never got to know my grandfathers, neither did my wife get to know hers. I would like to break that cycle if I can.

posted Hide Post
I am thinking of heading out in Nov when I'm 62, taking the early SSN but alot will depend on what they can do with O-Care. I've been at my job for 25 years! (Hard to believe) but it pays well, gives me a chance to put some more money away, and is only a few mins from my house. My wife is a bit older than I and if we want some years of good, quality time together I really should go but may wait till about 63 - 64, definitely not my 66 and 1/2 years, that I'm not gonna do. Lots of things to think about over the next several months.

------------------------------
Wales: "You a bounty hunter?"
B.H.: "A man's got to do something for a living."
Wales: "Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Posts: 350 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Report This Post