SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CC fraud after online and p-pal purchases 3times now
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC fraud after online and p-pal purchases 3times now Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Few years ago after phone purchases in the AM to Midway and Brownells. That evening CC people cancel card due to attempted purchases in FL and RI. Coincidence?

Little more recently after a paypal purchase, two Lyft rides use my card for taxi service.

Just now after an online purchase to Volquartsen, someone back east attempts $3100 charges.

My card people have always done me good on these. It is a permanent card limit of 1000 for just this reason.

But the dam hassle sucks.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It sounds about average frequency.

Not much you can do about it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got hit about every 6 months to a year, so new rules;
1) Debt card only used at Publix, Krogers & Walmart.
2) One credit card used for on line purchases
3) One credit card for Airlines only
4) A third credit card for Hotels
5) Cash for all other purchases

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

Other than #1, what exactly does that accomplish in terms of reducing risk of card number being hacked/guessed/mined? Looks like it increases the odds 400%.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me the Debit card is only used at the bank that issued it's ATM.

It is Never used to purchase anything. I learned a lesson there when it's number was stolen and had to wait a month for the investigation to get my money back.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you think that using your credit / debit card for online purchases is responsible for fraud, here is a good way to limit that exposure:

Many banks that issue cards, now support “virtual cards.” Here’s how that works, if your bank offers this feature. My Capital One MasterCard does offer this, and I use it.

When I make an online purchase, I use the virtual card feature to generate a virtual card for that particular vendor. I’ll use Midway USA for this example. This virtual card has the necessary attributes for an online purchase: card number, CCV number, and expiration date. The card number and CCV number are unique. I now have a new credit card. All charges to this card are actually charged to my real Capital One MasterCard, and I have a few forms of protection:
  1. The card is valid for purchases only at the vendor for which is was generated, Midway USA in this example. Any attempt to use this card number anywhere else, will fail.

2. Via the bank’s website, I can go into the control panel for my virtual credit cards and turn each one, individually, on or off. Any attempt to make a charge to this card, even at its linked vendor, will fail if the card is turned off. I typically leave the card turned off if I am not expecting to make a charge on it, I can turn it on to make a purchase, and then when that transaction has been approved, I can turn the card off.

3. I can delete any of my virtual cards whenever I want to. This will cause the card to disappear from the system and, of course, any attempt to make a charge to the no longer existing card, will fail.
There are no bank fees or charges for using this feature. It is a good safeguard for using your card for online purchases.

I use 1Password as a password manager. Not only does it keep track of all my various logins, it also has a section to track credit cards, so I record my virtual card numbers there, where they are easy to find when I need them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Other than #1, what exactly does that accomplish in terms of reducing risk of card number being hacked/guessed/mined? Looks like it increases the odds 400%.

It actually reduces exposure to larger losses. And the "odds" are a bit more tricky to calculate, but it is still less using more cards.

A really bad analogy, but sort of like playing Russian Roulette with multiple revolvers in a single session. (That was going to be Deer Hunter 2, but Walken started Bleeden.)

If a debit card is compromised, one could potentially lose everything in that account and suffer overdraft losses if one has that tied to that account.

Credit cards, typically have a limit of liability for fraudulent charges.

FWIW, I have all my accounts tied to SMS notification to my phone, so anytime anything touches the card, I get a notification.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:

For me the Debit card is only used at the bank that issued it's ATM.

It is Never used to purchase anything. I learned a lesson there when it's number was stolen and had to wait a month for the investigation to get my money back.

I'd take it one step further....NEVER get a Debit card!

A compromised Debit Card means someone can empty your Bank Account! You may not be liable for it in the end (AFTER the 'Investigation'), but you'll likely be without access to your funds for some time, which are GONE at that point anyway! If this happens while you're traveling you're screwed!

Further, when using a Debit Card for certain purchases such as Restaurants, Hotels, Rental Car, etc (where the could be multiple incidental charges, recurring charges and/or tips potentially added to the bill), a large 'Temporary Authorization' is imposed on your account that locks up funds until the finalized debit charge 'posts' to your account, which is a few days AFTER the transaction!

I forced my bank to provide me with an ATM Card, and I only use it at my bank....And if that's lost or stolen I'm not out any money! Wink

As long as you're financially responsible a Credit Card is definitely a better choice! If my Credit Card is stolen/compromised, I have zero liability and at that point I can use a secondary card until it's replaced....And again, I'm not out ANY money! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Yes, I also got hacked after an online purchase.
It is damn annoying.
New app downloaded to my phone = Skimmer scanner .
I filled up at a local BJ's Wholesale each time I was hacked. Now I will scan for a "skimmer" at the pump.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My bad for lack of clarity. I wasn't meaning to use a debit card for anything other than groceries, etc. Even that doesn't really protect since the numbers get mined without anything as sophisticated as skimmers and such I think.

I meant why bother with more than one credit card? Losses are limited to $50 on most prior to reporting and none after that, and most cards just reverse it all.

More cards equals more numbers to be guessed/hacked/stolen from some database.

More cards equals more $50 exposures. But my likely exposure is $0 whether I have 1 or 50 cards.

More cards equals more hassle.

I like the idea of an ATM only card to remove the issue of debit cards.

Currently I have only two credit cards, and only reason for that is AMEX vs VISA sites coupled with having a backup if on a trip and one gets hacked while the replacement is in route.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
It is damn annoying.
I filled up at a local BJ's Wholesale each time I was hacked. Now I will scan for a "skimmer" at the pump.

How does this work? Curious.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
It is damn annoying.
How does this work? Curious.
Not sure what you're asking. Are you asking how a skimmer works? Or are you asking how a skimmer scanner works?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd take it one step further....NEVER get a Debit card!

I was issued a Debit card and have never used it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know what some of y'all are doing, but we've never had a problem to that degree with on-line purchasing.

I buy a lot of stuff on-line. Gun supply and ammo stores, Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot. The list goes on. I use PayPal and have for (checking...) eighteen years.

Heck, I even used one of my cards for an on-line purchase from an on-line electronics retailer in Europe, when we were there, to acquire a "thank you" gift for the relatives that gave us a place to stay.

<knock on wood>, but the only time our cards have been 0wn3d was via card terminals in local use (Target, Home Depot).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post