SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I despise renters, 6/4 update, 7/30
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I despise renters, 6/4 update, 7/30 Login/Join 
posted
We have a rental home. A holdover from the banking crisis. We have wanted to put it up for sale a year ago. The renters gave us a big sob story. We acquiesced with a huge bump in rent. To do that we refied to a 30yr fixed from an arm. Though their rent covers the mortgage and fees in both cases, just with less proffit in the current situation.

After we agreed they wanted an addendum lease until the end of the school year. We agreed. That time is up and coming. So we sent out our email, they wanted to stay till the 1st of aug. We said no, as i have time off set aside to do the repairs to put the house on the market, and the listing would not be up during the prime home shopping times prior to school starting.

THey responded they will be out the 15th. They did not say what month june or july. They paid 1/2 a months rent. Now it looks like i have to shift 9 tons of shit to be out there 1 month earlier because these passive agressive fucks want to screw with me.

Well here you little shits, because you did not sign the reup lease, the terms of the original are still in play, you owe us 150 bucks a day plus full rent till the lease is signed or you move. See you in court fuckheads.

6/4/2018
Update 1, They "made a mistake" the rest of the rent will be in there shortly. They will also be out july 15th.

Clearly, they needed the cash to come up with first and last for a new appt. Did you bother to communicate this to us? NO1 it takes 2 emails, 4 texts, 3 phone calls for your passive aggressive ass to respond over 3 days later.

Gah, anyone want to buy a house in seattle? 5 bedrooms, 4 car garage, 3 full baths. I will give you a hell of a deal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would let them know that almost all landlords now use screens services. The screen services collect court records, and any type of landlord tenant issues show up immediately. If they make you take them to court, it's going to haunt them for a long time, no matter how it turns out.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I am reminded by your post of why I'm glad I sold my 7 apartment rental. Good tenants were a rarity to be cherished. I am sure in the 20 yrs I owned them I have heard every story possible about why they could not pay on time,or pay to fix damage caused by them or their guest. I think in those 20 years I "once" gave a departing tenant their full deposit back as the damage done exceeded that. In the end I would only rent to single 40+ yr old women as they were the least trouble...Most of the time!

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have always paid on time. They have always been overly passive aggressive. So in that sense this seems to be right inline with their asshattery.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never again will we be landlords.

They've stolen doors, dishwashers, flooring, cabinets, clogged sewers with diapers and Tampax, left oil leaking cars in the yard and driveway.

Then used us as references at their next place.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I must be doing something wrong.

I am just a month shy of ten years as the tenant, renting a 3,500 sq ft. hangar at Our Little Airport.

At least once a year the owners take me out for dinner and a few beers, a few laughs, and swapping aviation stories, and they thank me for always getting the rent check to them on time with no prodding.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had some good tenants. One was a plumber who fixed a leaking frost free faucet, hung and finished the drywall.

We gave him a free month.

Then we had one who stole most of the doors when they left.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who is a real estate agent once told me, during a class the teacher asked to a show of hands who wants to become a land lord.
No one raised their hands, he said good your job is to sell property to the person who wants to be a land lord.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I must be doing something wrong.

I am just a month shy of ten years as the tenant, renting a 3,500 sq ft. hangar at Our Little Airport.

At least once a year the owners take me out for dinner and a few beers, a few laughs, and swapping aviation stories, and they thank me for always getting the rent check to them on time with no prodding.

Why do you think they're so grateful?

I once rented from a guy who went to my college. He graduated like 15 years ahead, and he had saved some money and invested by buying rental properties. But his rule was, to only rent to people affiliated with our college. Engineering school. So a ready made pool of smart, competent hard-working or studying people who don't get into trouble.

When I rented from him, I moved into a place whose previous tenants had been one of his few exceptions - not affiliated with our school. Two young professional women. How much trouble could they be?

A lot, actually. They wrecked the place. Owner had to have the bathroom redone when I (and a buddy of mine) moved in. And some of the things we found... The closets were packed with garbage. Literal garbage. The best was, when a really disturbing smell (worse than the garbage) led us to, tucked in a hidden back corner of a storage closet.... a plastic grocery bag full of used tampons.

I am told those weren't his worst tenants, not deliberately destructive, just really bad slobs. But they reinforced his determination only to rent to good little engineering nerds.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I have posted this here before ICYMI:
Got a call from the FD to go to one of the resorts asap.
The resort rented the room to 2 Latin males, when the FD gets there 11 people are in the room. FD is there because they are roasting a pig in the bathtub that is fiberglass, not cast iron and tile. Intensity of the fire melted the solder joints and they needed a Plumber.....

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Growing up, my Dad had a rental house that his tax accountant talked him into. It went great for over a decade, and then two bad tenants in a row prompted my Dad to sell and get a new tax accountant.

The first bad tenants were this pig of a couple. I remember being a teen, and spending an entire weekend helping Dad clean up after them. They quit their garbage service, and there was this 4x4 concrete pad at the back of the house that they had stacked taller than me with garbage. I used an entire bottle of shower cleaner, and walked to the store to buy a 2nd bottle.

The next and last tenants, Dad raised the rent enough so that he provided garbage service. A nice couple moved in and we even met their parents. Seemed like the ideal tenant. They were slobs too, quit paying rent, had to be evicted, and the MFers stole the stackable washer and dryer. I'm pretty sure that when I cleaned the shower that no one had cleaned it since I cleaned it prior to them moving in.

As an adult, I've never had the urge to be a landlord.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We went through two sets of bad tenants before we found the current one and he's PERFECT. I'm so dreading the day when he notifies us he's moving on and I've actually considered offering to sell the place to him. He pays his rent on time, we never hear anything from him unless he's reporting a maintenance issue which is infrequent and he's quiet and keeps to himself. I stop by to pick up the rent check sometimes and do a quick eyeball of the place and he keeps it immaculate. A rare good one for sure.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law has four rental houses all within the same block he lives on...

...he tried renting to family and that sure didn't work, then some average working folks and that worked for a little while, and then some legal Hispanics who owned a Mexican eating joint across the street started renting all of the houses and boom-bam cash on the first each month!

No excuses, no bullshit stories, no I got to be late because of this and that, just that cash is there on the first day of the month!

They lucked out...he is looking to buy more houses as they pop up on the block now!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update, They "made a mistake" the rest of the rent will be in there shortly. They will also be out july 15th.

Clearly, they needed the cash to come up with first and last for a new appt. Did you bother to communicate this to us? NO1 it takes 2 emails, 4 texts, 3 phone calls for your passive aggressive ass to respond over 3 days later.

Gah, anyone want to buy a house in seattle? 5 bedrooms, 4 car garage, 3 full baths. I will give you a hell of a deal.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've been a tenant in the same apt since 1999. I don't have a lease on paper. My landlord treats me right, I do the same for him. We are not friends or related.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tenants are like apples. Good ones are prized and they are the bulk of them, but it only take one bad one......

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's a shame that people can't even act like adults.

We're renters. We take care of the place, pay our rent on time and don't bother anyone. The renters across the street... Those assholes still have their Christmas lights up, the front door doesn't have a door knob and I can hear the smoke detector chirping from across the street...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I've been a tenant in the same apt since 1999. I don't have a lease on paper. My landlord treats me right, I do the same for him. We are not friends or related.

That will be great until it is not. Having a lease is no guarantee of no trouble, but having one would help avoid some forms of trouble.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the end I would only rent to single 40+ yr old women as they were the least trouble..

So, you allowed cats?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When leases were easily enforcible, and had real teeth, more people paid attention to their performance. Messing up had real sting, besides getting the boot.

The pendulum has swung so far the other way as to be pretty much worse than useless. The risk of taking on a bad tenant, and the consequences of such a mistake, is unacceptably high.

Before I retired, I made the decision to get out of all real estate except my home, and let someone else do it. I only wish I had been smart enough to have done it ten years before!

If you want to have “exposure” to the real estate market, buy REITs. There are hundreds of them, all sorts of them, office, apartment, medical, mortgages etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post