SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Window Renovation Cost
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Window Renovation Cost Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted
I live in a 90+- year old house and on the ground floor some of the windows are pretty much held together by the paint.

Had a window restoration guy come to give me a quote on five of the windows that are in the worst shape: Six panes on the top/one bottom - $1,250; 12/12 - $1,900.

Nearly $7k to restore five windows. I wish I were handier with the necessary detail.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I am having to replace a few at a time. My house was built in 59 and mhy windows are shot. the the glaze is cracking and falling off. So I have to replace all of them. 1-3 thousand a window means that I will end up paying 15 grnd to replace them all

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Go to a builders supply/real lumber yard NOT BIG BOX STORE. Check prices installed.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I knew that window replacement was expensive when I got an ad from a local contractor for $298 off per window, but no mention of the cost.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DIY- I'm renting a house and the previous tenant replaced the windows himself for a reduction in the rent.

He used a circular saw to cut the holes in the siding. The over cuts to make them square are horrendous and he never finished the installation. He never put the trim back on and the bedroom windows has slats sticking out from where he was leveling it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Any reason you're restoring them vs. replacing them?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My current house was built in 1908. 72 double hung windows. I rebuilt over 30 of them. I consider myself to be a master at it by now. It is not an easy task, but definitely rewarding. I chose to rebuild because the house is historical and we chose to restore the old girl, not renovate.

I did replace some in certain rooms with Anderson A series. Not cheap, but absolutely beautiful.

If you have any questions on the rebuilding process, I'd be glad to answer.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
My current house was built in 1908. 72 double hung windows.

Do you have any solid walls or is the whole place made of windows! Eek

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Replacing the windows with new would not have the old sagging glass. I have someone looking for salvage windows, and getting another quote or two.

I understand the time and talent required to do this, just not sure I want/can afford 7k for this.

Seems like I could get new made for less that match the exact same or similar.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I know a lady who travels around doing window restoration. You are talking about an art. Yup gonna be pricey. You can just go with custom built vinyl replacements for a fraction but if you want the look of vintage windows, you are just going to have to suck it up and pay the price for their skills.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post