SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do you want your receipt?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you want your receipt? Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
CVS and Kroger always give a receipt, whether you want it or not. (I don't.) The receipts are 5 feet long, listing every item I bought, a dozen coupons for things I don't need, rewards points (which I cannot use on prescriptions), and a blurb for their survey site. (I don't need to complete a survey every time I go to a store.)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/2R7n3vNcXW0

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I seldom if ever use a credit card for anything below $20. The exception would be the pharmacy. I agree, I don't want a receipt if I were to spend a few dollars. I think a receipt keeps people honest.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Why would I not want my receipt?

And why on God's green earth would I want them to EMAIL IT TO ME???
Just print the damn thing. If I wanted you to have my email addy, you would already have it. Fuck off!

Home Depot is the worst, every fucking time I buy something I think I am done with the transaction and waiting for my receipt. Only to have the cashier say "sir there is one more question" Mad

Homo Despot was the exact store I had in mind when I wrote that! I bought some flux, solder and a faucet for the backyard.

On the list of "last things I want' is HD to spam my inbox every time they have a sale on sheet metal screws. Mad

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only keep the receipt for big ticket items, things with a decent probability of needing to return, or documentation for writing off a business expense.

I have nearly instantaneous access to my credit and debit accounts, and I have both set to text me for every transaction that occurs. I often receive said text before the cashier has even had an opportunity to bid me good day. I hate receipts cluttering up my pockets, wallet, vehicle, and the house.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
When paying by credit card, I always save the receipt.
When the monthly statement arrives, it is checked against the accumulated receipts.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
quote:
Why would I not want my receipt?

And why on God's green earth would I want them to EMAIL IT TO ME???
Just print the damn thing. If I wanted you to have my email addy, you would already have it. Fuck off!

Home Depot is the worst, every fucking time I buy something I think I am done with the transaction and waiting for my receipt. Only to have the cashier say "sir there is one more question" Mad

Homo Despot was the exact store I had in mind when I wrote that! I bought some flux, solder and a faucet for the backyard.

On the list of "last things I want' is HD to spam my inbox every time they have a sale on sheet metal screws. Mad

I spent around $35,000 at HD in 2016 when I rebuilt a house that had been in a fire. It was great to have them email the receipts. I had a rule that moved all HD receipts to a specific folder. Way better than a wallet full of paper, and the best part is they are already digitized for tax purposes.

I found their email receipts didn't generate any marketing spam. They must keep them independent.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found their email receipts didn't generate any marketing spam. They must keep them independent.

That has been my experience also.

I get the receipt and never get any spam from them

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you don't want spam from retailers, just set up a separate email account that you use for them. All their emails go there and you'll never see it until you decide to empty it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I maintained my several credit card accounts in MS Money, entered all the receipts, and balanced the accounts when the bills came.

Now that I'm retired I no longer worry about it. I just quickly review the statements online for anything that looks odd. So far, the credit card companies have called me well before I ever saw an erroneous charge.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
You should take them, wad them up in a ball and toss them on the floorboard when you get in your vehicle.

Might help solve your murder or disappearance.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I'm not the best record keeper. For most mundane purchases, I need no receipt.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
You should take them, wad them up in a ball and toss them on the floorboard when you get in your vehicle.

Might help solve your murder or disappearance.
Yes, the breadcrumbs always help. Drop one on the ground every place you stop as well. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I haven't collected and compared my receipts to the statement since about 1970 something.
I have online access to my account if I need them. I just scan the statement, usually online, for anything that looks suspicious.
Anytime anything bogus has happened to me in the last few decades, they called me first.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I haven't collected and compared my receipts to the statement since about 1970 something.
I have online access to my account if I need them. I just scan the statement, usually online, for anything that looks suspicious.
Anytime anything bogus has happened to me in the last few decades, they called me first.
Agreed - I even get texts now with suspicious or large purchases - you can turn them off inside of a minute or two of them being attempted.

Its simply not worth my time to take my gas and bubblegum receipts and compare to my statements. If that means a little kids steals $5 in gum on my account every year and I don't know about it, I'm still WAAAY ahead. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If it isn't something I can return or write off, I don't need a receipt.

This.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
And I would MUCH rather have a receipt for a big purchase emailed to me because I won't lose it just in case I ever need it. I always have good intentions on keeping paper receipts for things, but most of them are on thermal paper and after I leave it in my car when it's 115° outside they're useless.

Same here. If there's a warranty involved, I'll always take the emailed receipt. It's a great option that cleanly addresses a couple of obvious, serious shortcomings with paper receipts. Seems like a no-brainer to me. And contrary to popular pissing and moaning, the email option hasn't generated one single piece of spam, not one. I wish more merchants offered them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Because many people refuse them, or wad them up and drop them in the nearest trash can if they take them.

This. I used to religiously collect receipts because ... I don't know why.

After a couple of months, I would end up tossing them out.

Now, I usually wave off the receipt when they hold it out to me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Why would I want mine? I know in general what I buy and where, and a quick glance at statement gives me comfort that they're all mine.

I'm a CPA, but I'm not reconciling line by line each item.

OTOH - why the hell do I have to SIGN my receipt?? It's 2017, do we really need that meaningless scribble to prove it's me that just handed you the card that has a chip in it and sends me a notice every time it's used? IOW, that I didn't cancel once it was stolen and somebody used it elsewhere>>>>??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post