SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do you want your receipt?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you want your receipt? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I hardly carry cash and use my credit cards for most purchases. They get paid in full every month so I get the "rewards" associated with them.
Lately I notice a lot of cashiers are asking if I want my receipt after purchase. Why would I not want my receipt? How can I prove the charge price on the credit card statement is accurate?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the accountant conspiracy. Paper and ink cost money Don't give the customer a receipt unless he asks. Also hard to return items without receipt.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Because many people refuse them, or wad them up and drop them in the nearest trash can if they take them.

I pay cash for most items (that I don’t order via the net) and unless there’s a significant possibility that I might have to return something or I’m concerned about being accused of shoplifting, a receipt is just one more piece of paper to deal with.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don't get a receipt for most common things. Groceries, lunch, etc. Why do I need one for something I know I won't return?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
How can I prove the charge price on the credit card statement is accurate?

How often have you had to prove the charge price, at a place that has asked if you'd like your receipt, is accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Also hard to return items without receipt.

Most places that have asked aren't places where a return is common anyway. If you have to return to a store to return something, they can just look it up in the sales system via your credit card

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If it isn't something I can return or write off, I don't need a receipt.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't need my receipt from McDonalds for a cup of coffee, and it's kind of inconvenient to have them hand it to me. I'd rather they ask so I can say no and not have to make a trip over to the trash can.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Right there with you rtquig. It is a matter of being able to balance the check book. Makes it a lot easier when we can sit down and see what kind of spending we have done and where. Been thrown off before when a gas pump doesn't spit out a receipt and sometimes it's a bitch when you are trying to remember exactly what you spent that $13.61 on Wink Cash transactions do normally get trashed though (mainly so I don't mix up receipts and input as a debit transaction accidentally Mad and have to chase my accounting error).

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The only place that asks me is Subway restaurants.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would I not want my receipt?

And why on God's green earth would I want them to EMAIL IT TO ME???

Just print the damn thing. If I wanted you to have my email addy, you would already have it. Fuck off!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I almost never want a receipt. Unless it's a big item or for work then I don't want one.

Food, groceries, gas if they hand it to me I'm turning it into a ball and tossing it into a trashcan on my way out.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that most places that ask if you want a receipt are places you wouldn't return anything to. I've never been asked if I wanted a receipt from Best Buy or Walmart or any other place I might be returning an item to... they just give me one or put it in the bag.

Only places that ever ask me if I want a receipt is gas station or fast food restaurant and I definitely don't want a reminder of the crap I just consumed.

And I would MUCH rather have a receipt for a big purchase emailed to me because I won't lose it just in case I ever need it. I always have good intentions on keeping paper receipts for things, but most of them are on thermal paper and after I leave it in my car when it's 115° outside they're useless.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
How can I prove the charge price on the credit card statement is accurate?

How often have you had to prove the charge price, at a place that has asked if you'd like your receipt, is accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Also hard to return items without receipt.

Most places that have asked aren't places where a return is common anyway. If you have to return to a store to return something, they can just look it up in the sales system via your credit card
Yup. I don't want a receipt for some goodies at the local store. Not interested in the gas pump receipt. 150 crickets for the lizards to eat from Petco? Don't care for a receipt either.

Something big, sure.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I almost never want a receipt. Unless it's a big item or for work then I don't want one.

Food, groceries, gas if they hand it to me I'm turning it into a ball and tossing it into a trashcan on my way out.

This^^^

I hate the stupid receipts that I need to throw away.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Not always. Sometimes proof of a menial transaction is unnecessary.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:

Just print the **** thing. If I wanted you to have my email addy, you would already have it. **** off!

It's a trick to get your e-mail so they can send you endless advertisements about deals at that store.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just print the damn thing. If I wanted you to have my email addy, you would already have it. Fuck off!

Home Depot is the worst, every fucking time I buy something I think I am done with the transaction and waiting for my receipt. Only to have the cashier say "sir there is one more question" Mad

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
quote:

Home Depot is the worst, every fucking time I buy something I think I am done with the transaction and waiting for my receipt. Only to have the cashier say "sir there is one more question" Mad

Are you going to be using your home Depot account today? Also angers me. There no need to ask it. Your little machine knows exactly what kind of card I'm using. Don't make me answer unnecessary questions. And no I'm not taking your freaking survey, I don't give a hoot if I have a chance to win $5k or $500 or whatever it is.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Right there with you rtquig. It is a matter of being able to balance the check book. Makes it a lot easier when we can sit down and see what kind of spending we have done and where. Been thrown off before when a gas pump doesn't spit out a receipt and sometimes it's a bitch when you are trying to remember exactly what you spent that $13.61 on Wink Cash transactions do normally get trashed though (mainly so I don't mix up receipts and input as a debit transaction accidentally Mad and have to chase my accounting error).

Ding!

I use my debit card most of the time and keep the receipts until I get home and do my bookkeeping. Then, unless it's a large ticket item, I throw them away.

My checkbook balances to the penny every month, or else!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Our credit card machine prompts us and we have to hit a button receipt yes or no so we ask the customer. It's in the firmware. We also use handwritten invoices on every sale so many customers decline a cc slip because it is essentially a dupe. Personally I always want a receipt. I balance my statement when it's received and I can't remember how many times I've purchased gas etc. I want to be sure all the charges are mine.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post