SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tire shopping on Big O Tires.com
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire shopping on Big O Tires.com Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I'm looking to replace the tires for my Taurus. They have the OEM tires on their website for a decent price. But wait, what's this? I scroll down and there's another listing for the same exact tire but at a higher price. I can't even tell what the difference is between the two, other than an additional mail-in rebate on the higher-priced offering.

What the hell?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the same. I have seen this before with other products. The other question would be how long have the tires been sitting around. Check the dates on the inside sidewall.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Could be a load or speed rating difference

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Does the lower price reflect the price after rebate?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Could be a load or speed rating difference

I checked the specs on both pages but everything is the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Does the lower price reflect the price after rebate?

I’ll have to check again. You may be right.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Your fault for not shopping TireRack.com

Big Grin

They've never let me down in terms of stock, price, or CS.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I look here & there, used tire rack & eBay at times. Some look at age of the tires too. One shop told me they don’t like to mount tires over 7 years old. Of course one wants them much newer than the 7 years.

Besides cost of the tires you have taxes, shipping, mounting & whatever. Buying locally can help with unexpected repairs or replacement.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been using the local Big O for awhile now. I used to ask for a quote and then request that the match TireRack (which they would do less shipping).

Now, I don't even check prices on their website. I just go in, tell them which tire I want and they give me the TireRack price or better, offset for shipping.

But like any chain, YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I asked if I could purchase tires on tirerack to have them delivered to the store and was told they would allow that but wouldn't offer the road hazard insurance to them. I drive to work through an industrial area and have had several issues with punctures, so I was looking on the Big O site for tire prices, since they'll offer the road hazard insurance on those. I'm pretty tight with one of the desk jockeys, so I'll try to ask if they'll match the tirerack prices.

Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Bought several sets from:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/

They usually have authorized shops in your area for the install and offer road hazard warranty.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Today while at the hair salon with wife her hairdresser was saying that he went to get a tire for his wife car. None in stock. Ask them to place one on order. Told him no can do that Amazon had purchased entire supply and if he wanted that tire he would have to order the tire from Amazon. He was not a happy camper. ............................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I asked if I could purchase tires on tirerack to have them delivered to the store and was told they would allow that but wouldn't offer the road hazard insurance to them. I drive to work through an industrial area and have had several issues with punctures, so I was looking on the Big O site for tire prices, since they'll offer the road hazard insurance on those. I'm pretty tight with one of the desk jockeys, so I'll try to ask if they'll match the tirerack prices.

Might be a little late, but I think all tires purchased through tire rack have their own road hazard warranty. Last I looked, it was free/included in the price. Obviously read the fine print on what they cover and how the reimburse.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
On my truck I put Goodyear Wrangler AT on it. The same tire but with white letters will cost a little more than the same tire with black letters. Something like that may be the difference.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post