SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cruise control.....use it....please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cruise control.....use it....please Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Just got back from a great holiday back home in NW PA, ~1200 miles one way.

For the love of god people, 95% of new cars have cruise control....normally it takes 2 clicks to use it, why do you still fluctuate between 65mph and 85mph?

And what was up with TN today? Did everyone going west bound on I40 double their retard doses? Going east bound was smooth but today everyone HAD to get to Memphis while driving like a Somali taxi driver with the shits....was it 50% off crack today in Memphis or get your blind bi-polar sister to drive day?

Oh.....and someone remind next year why I don't drive through WV....my wife had never been through the state and Ohio is almost as boring as KS, so I took I79 instead of I71 beautiful state but what a PIA to drive through.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I dislike cruise control, but I also dislike people who cannot control their speed. So yeah I get the bitch.

I think the real problem is that most people don't actually drive their cars. They are in the drivers seat but most are simply along for the ride, paying attention to the passengers, the view, the radio or any number of things other than the road and the instrument panel in front. My eyes constantly move between the road in front, the rear view mirror and the instrument panel. When I drive I actually drive.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I agree. This is one of my biggest peeves.
That and not using turn signals. Neither are difficult to utilize.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
There is the other side of the coin, too:

• The drivers who set their cruise control to about one mph below the speed limit and have a constant stream of one-mile-per-hour faster passers who take a minute or more apiece to pass.

• The drivers who set their cruise control about one mph over the speed limit then proceed to take a minute or two or five on each and every other individual car to pass.

• The drivers who WILL NOT touch their brake or otherwise turn off CC until the very last second before collision, who wind up getting right up on your ass as they approach you from behind because the left lane is blocked by someone demonstrating one of the first two bullets above.

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Most people from big cities have no idea there is cruise control on their vehicle and EVEN WORSE have no idea how to drive without tailgaiting someone. They'll pass people, end up with nothing but open highway in front of them, and then they start the annoying 20 mph speed changes.

It's been one of my pet peeves ever since my Purdue days and the Shitcago dumbasses would tailgate me (no other cars in visible sight), pass me, and then end up driving slower than my cruise control because they don't use cruise control.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    And what was up with TN today? Did everyone going west bound on I40 double their retard doses? Going east bound was smooth but today everyone HAD to get to Memphis while driving like a Somali taxi driver with the shits....was it 50% off crack today in Memphis or get your blind bi-polar sister to drive day?

Try driving I65 North from Nashville or I75 South from Chattanooga to Atlanta. From Nashville to Chicago I go I24 & I57, only 10 miles further & a much more pleasant drive.

Cruize control asses are those that you move over for, they slow down, ride beside you & box you in behind a truck!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    I don't take a lot of interstate highway trips, but sometimes I drive I-81 and 40 to Knoxville. I'd like to use my cruise control more, but inevitably I will come up on a slowpoke (i.e., anybody going slower than I want to go), but can't go around to pass because a maniac (anybody going faster than me) is coming up fast in the left lane. So I have to tap the brake or switch off the cruise until everything is clear. Also, in hilly terrain and with a low-powered engine, cruise control will maintain that speed even if it has to shift your transmission down two gears (four-speed automatic). Cruise control is best for long, straight, flat, more lightly traveled stretches of road like, say, between Tucumcari and Amarillo.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    All of the above!

I use cruise control as an anti-speeding device. I tend to migrate to what I consider a "comfortable" pace which is usually 5-10 MPH above the posted limit. I also tend to drive 55+ on a highway and ignore the stupid changes because some dipwad thinks two houses constitute a "village" and got the state to lower the limit to 45 or even 35.

Local constable stopped me last Spring doing 60 in a 45 and let me walk with a warning. I DEFINITELY use the CC on that road now, I don't think he'll be so understanding if it happens again...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post

I use mine on my Tacoma, even around town for relatively longer stretches, or known radar enforcement areas. I just get the speed somewhere close and set it, and then fine tune it with the up/down features. Each flick up or down adjusts the speed by 2 km/h. I have learned by passing many stationary radar displays that my speedometer shows 1-2 mph more that what the display says. Either that, or they set the display radars generously.

My wife never uses hers in her Sequoia, but then she is a retired LEO and still drives like one. When I'm driving it with her as a passenger, she's always asking me what I'm doing. One thing about Toyotas, the major controls are identical from model to model.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cne32507
    posted Hide Post
    I'm with you, dewhorse. Use the cruise control! Stop running up my ass and then slow down because you just realized you're in the lead! And if you want to pass me, then for god's sake, pass me! Don't box me behind gramp's Winnabago with the "See Rock City" stickers!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Agreed "cruise".

NRA Life Endowment member
    Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    If the traffic is sparse and I'm just cruising easy, I will cruise control.

But one of the fun things I do when driving on vacation is gunning down the freeway eating up the miles. After switching to the SUV, I'm not driven to go fast anymore.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Avoiding
    slam fires
    Picture of 45 Cal
    posted Hide Post
    Both my auto have it,havent used on either in years,but I live just south of atlanta,you that have driven here understand.
    North side you run 80,downtown freeways you run maybe two mph.south side 35 to 70 in a half mile.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post