SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate cellphones....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate cellphones.... Login/Join 
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted
Note 5, just over a year old died, so I scrounge up my old iPhone 5S (that I dropped and cracked screen months before and have been using as an iPod since the Note 5). So far so good - then I have a non-Apple replacement screen installed that kicks the bucket 3 months later.
Note 5 pretends to work, but that was just to tease me.

So, it's new phone time again, and I dislike Apple overall, Samsung is crap (Note 7 blowing up and my own experience with Note 5), and everything else decent is too expensive (Pixel is way expensive for the performance....WTF Google) or unavailable on my carrier (OnePlus 3T).

Looks like I'm getting another iPhone....at least they seem to work for 3-5 years easily.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. My personal cell phone is 4.5 years old. Every time I get frustrated with it a bit and start to look for a new phone and see how much they cost (not to mention how big they are) I always end up deciding to stick it out with what I have now.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That stinks, I've been using my Note 4 for around 3 years (iirc) completely flawlessly. It still runs everything I need, such that I can't see buying a newer device for a while yet.

Maybe they just don't make 'em like they used to.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have liked my Motorola Droid turbo 2.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I agree; having to buy a new phone (or computer or TV, etc.) every few years is ridiculous.

Maybe get a Western Electric rotary dial phone. It should work for 40-50 years easily. Smile

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What makes the Pixel way expensive for the performance? I just got my yesterday. It seems very snappy. I didn't compare actual hardware specs. I went with the Pixel, Project Fi, payments on the phone 1gb data (im mostly on wifi) and protection plan and spend less than I was on Sprint.

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Pixel is a fantastic phone.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caglio:
What makes the Pixel way expensive for the performance? I just got my yesterday. It seems very snappy. I didn't compare actual hardware specs. I went with the Pixel, Project Fi, payments on the phone 1gb data (im mostly on wifi) and protection plan and spend less than I was on Sprint.

Well, considering it's the same price as the iPhone (which is already too expensive, but Apple has been doing the "Premium" pricing gig for a long time), Im a bit shocked Google would consider to price their phone at the same level.
Performance testing vs the iPhone, it isn't even close. Screen is "better", but your eyes can't see beyond 300ppi anyway, so it's almost wasted performance. Battery life is less than iPhone ( despite having significantly higher capacity battery). Not water resistant. Comparable cameras/pictures.

I'm not saying it's a bad phone, but it should be $100-$200 less, and from my carriers it simply isn't.

Ended up going back to iPhone 7 - it's the only phone I feel will last 2-3 years after my shit experience with the Note 5.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Samsung S4 for almost 5 years that started acting up. Mother board was going bad so I landed up getting a new Samsung J3. Basically the same technology of a few years ago and under 200 dollars. Does not do a few things I wish it would and the camera could be better but overall a great bargain.

Time takes time.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yep. Motorola handsets. Every one I've had continued to work when I replaced it. I'm just a nerd and like having new toys. Plus I get really good deals on them via the company (we have nearly 1000 phones on our corporate account - we pay for handsets, the company pays for usage - we are entitled to upgrades under contract every 20 months).

I currently have a Droid Turbo, I think? Not even sure. Works great though. Maybe a Droid MAXX? Dunno. But the one before this was working fine when I got this one. Smile

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
IF you can do with iPhone and the smaller screen...
The iPhone SE is a great phone, and pretty cheap if you catch a deal especially.
SWAMBO just updated her iPhone 4 to the SE.
She preferred the smaller format for ease of carry.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Samsung Galaxy S4 has been working just fine for 4 years now. I thought I was hard on cellphones. Can't imagine one giving up the ghost after only a year.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Had an Alcatel Idol3 one touch only problem was the upgraded OS to marshmallow which stunk. Bought a used iPhone 6s to replace it and have been perfectly happy with it ever since. Next time I upgrade it will be another iPhone.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post