SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So when someone blows through a stop sign...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So when someone blows through a stop sign... Login/Join 
posted
Right in front of you that you are basically in their backseat, you are the asshole for riding their ass.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Of course. You didn't have the courtesy and forethought to not proceed before allowing others to continue their journey unimpeded by laws made up by The Man.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Of course. You didn't have the courtesy and forethought to not proceed before allowing others to continue their journey unimpeded by laws made up by The Man.

BOOM! Situation handled Big Grin

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Hence the reason they discontinued the short lived idea of RPGs mounted to the front bumper. Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wish I drove a Suburban with push bumpers.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Almost started a new thread on this very topic.

It’s beyond ridiculous. The two that annoy me the worst are one in my neighborhood and one near work in a technology park. I suppose some people are too important to have to stop. I realize both of these intersections are rarely busy but it’s still a stop sign. I give credit if you slow down and stop (even briefly). But there are some who completely blow through them (and my wife gripes at me for blowing the horn and/or flashing my lights at them).

You’d assume that it was some of the teen age drivers in the neighborhood but it’s more often their parents. Grrrrr..

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my walking neighborhood with sidewalks it is dangerous to cross. Rolling stop signs does not bother me but 25% never let up on the gas at stop signs & another 25% never brake. My wife was hit by a woman on her phone while crossing a few years ago. The worst intersection is the nearest to the Elementary School & I see the kids in the back seat as mom or dad blow thru the stop sign while staring at their phone. My dog has trained himself to back up at crosswalks anytime a car is coming down the street. Nashville police do not enforce traffic laws in my high density neighborhood. No crime, no patrols, but I guess that is how it should be!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I wish we would go to German licensing standards. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Cost is around $2,000 or so to get a driver license there with strict testing, vehicle inspections and adherence to rules of the road (no cruising in the left hand lane).

Drivers here piss me off.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Where I work in San Diego there's a HUGE Geico building in Poway. I think the worse and rudest drivers in San Diego work there.

There is a four-way stop which, during lunch, can keep a deputy so busy it can prevent three separate cars from sitting still more than a few minutes. One day during lunch, I wathced out my window and saw no fewer than 20 get pulled over in an hour - all but 1 pulled into the Geico parking lot after receiving their ticket (or were in there by the time the deputy caught up with them).

My peers and other co-workers have dropped Geico after nearly being hit.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I wish we would go to German licensing standards. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Cost is around $2,000 or so to get a driver license there with strict testing, vehicle inspections and adherence to rules of the road (no cruising in the left hand lane).

Yup. I don't know details about Germany, but I lived in Spain for a year and a half. Applicants for Driver Licenses there had to be competent in simple roadside emergency tasks, like changing a tire, replacing a headlight bulb, etc.

Newly licensed drivers had a decal or emblem on their cars, showing that they were restricted to 80 kph for the first period, don't remember exactly but I think it was one year, then another period of 90 kph, then the restriction was removed.

I found drivers there, to be courteous. No "me first," no road rage type things.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, was insane. An executive from one of the large American insurance companies was visiting the San Turce (San Juan area) regional offices of his company. He looked down at the street from a window in the office high rise during commuting hour, and promptly ordered the Puerto Rican branch to stop doing business there, cancel all active policies, and issue pro-rated refunds for premiums that had been paid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
In my walking neighborhood with sidewalks it is dangerous to cross. Rolling stop signs does not bother me but 25% never let up on the gas at stop signs & another 25% never brake. My wife was hit by a woman on her phone while crossing a few years ago. The worst intersection is the nearest to the Elementary School & I see the kids in the back seat as mom or dad blow thru the stop sign while staring at their phone. My dog has trained himself to back up at crosswalks anytime a car is coming down the street. Nashville police do not enforce traffic laws in my high density neighborhood. No crime, no patrols, but I guess that is how it should be!

Not only in neighborhoods, either!

Around here people barely slow down to make a right turn at a RED LIGHT. Their idea of safe interval between cars seems to be about 20 feet, or less.

Speed limits at 55, assholes doing upwards of 70, 10 feet between cars. Between the idiots on their cell phones/smart phones at that speed and in DENSE traffic it is a wonder more people are not killed.

School systems around here seem to have forgotten about teaching the laws of physics! And the traffic does not slow down for wet roads, ice covered road, etc.

About a month ago wife and I were driving into town. 4 lane road with streets entering from both sides. Some idiot female whips out of a side street, apparently without looking (or maybe she forgot she was not riding a donkey) causing a lot of frantic swerving to avoid her.

I ended up on the grassy center strip to avoid her, and got tail gated by the guy behind me. And the bitch that caused it never showed any indication that she had done something wrong. Based on her appearance her excuse would have been, "No Habla ingles!"

We are over run with them here.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the penalty for drunk driving, which is BAC of .06 is to lose your license for a year, go back through the whole qualification routine, plus a HUGE fine!

A friend of a friend over there got caught DUI. His estimate of cash, out of pocket, expense was about 5000 Euros. Not counting the cost of public transportation to and from work.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
People around here seem to have school buses. Last year a bus was stopped, loading kids and a woman DROVE DOWN THE RIGHT SHOULDER BETWEEN THE KIDS AND THE DOOR! Last week it was foggy and I came up to a stooped school bus. A lady was waiting to cross so I waved her on. Just then the idiot behind me decides to pass me so he gets closer to the school bus.
Paint ball guns might help.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
MS adopted a law against passing a stopped school bus. Sadly, it was enacted in response to a tragedy.

Nathan's Law, legislation passed in 2011, requires motorists to stay at least 10 feet from a stopped school bus. Violators can be charged with aggravated assault under the law for hitting a child. Among other provisions, motorists also can be fined up to $750 for a first offense for not stopping for the bus, even if no child is harmed. A second offense could lead to up to a year in prison.

Nathan's Law is named for 5-year-old Nathan Key, killed in 2009 when he was struck by a car after he got off a school bus in Jones County.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The shit drivers is the main driving force behind us having dash cams in both cars. If something happens, it doesn't turn into "he said, she said." Instead, it's a, "would you like to see the video, officer?"

Now I need to figure out how to get cameras to cover the rear.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
He said, she said situation cost us in a fender bender in a parking lot. Promptly bought dash cams for all the cars.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The shit drivers is the main driving force behind us having dash cams in both cars. If something happens, it doesn't turn into "he said, she said." Instead, it's a, "would you like to see the video, officer?"

Now I need to figure out how to get cameras to cover the rear.

They have such cameras. I was temped to buy the set when some raghead asshole crossed the traffic line and hit my truck. He had a dashcam and the film clearly showed him crossing into my lane. And he did not signal his lane change, either.

AIR, the cameras come in sets, and they are NOT CHEAP!

And require a lot of wiring inside the vehicle. I ordered the set, willing to pay the money, but when it got here and I saw the large amount of wiring and work to install everything, I sent it back.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:

But how would all the illegal..er undocumented workers be handled? We can't deny them.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post