SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Had my first encounter with paper straws...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had my first encounter with paper straws... Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I'm guessing you didn't spend a lot of time working in restaurants. Because until I did, I used to think only women and children used straws, also. Just let your imagination run wild. I didn't have to, I saw enough to convince me to use a sealed and clean drinking surface when I dine out. You know how plastic straws often get served with a bit of the paper wrapper left at the top so you have to pull it off to drink? Yeah, there's a reason for that.

Yeah my wife went into great detail about that shit. She also gets really pissed when they bring the lemon floating in the ice tea. Growing up, masculinity trumped health. Today not so much.

Yeah, the lemon in the water is a gigantic no-no for me as well. I don't need to be putting my lips to anything any server or dishwasher has had their skanky mitts all over. Most especially any goddamn fruit that's been sitting unrefrigerated for however long and handled with bare hands after the server just wiped down a table and was in a hurry to get a table sat, so she didn't wash her hands. That's not even getting into the meat of it.

If you ever wondered why straws started getting handed out with drinks, it wasn't because of a proliferation of commies or homos, as stated by the OP.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ve never been so worried about people touching stuff before I get it. Perhaps I’ve built up a strong immune system this way. I figure if some of the stuff I ate in the Army didn’t kill me, I was gtg. Antique C-rats I unearthed while digging a fighting position, crap from T rats I dropped on the ground, anything out of a mermite. Those kind of things.

OTOH, getting out of a restroom without touching the handle is becoming almost compulsive lately.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This shouldnt come as a surprise. ATF has been gearing up to block straw purchases for years.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
They suck ass. ...
That's not how you use a straw. Eek

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0U2ECSNvps

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Grew up on paper straws. Worked back then. But glass soda bottles were the norm and probably used often in them. Plus ice cream shops were quite common and mandatory for many of their items on the meanus.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Plastic straws are recyclable.

“Plastic straws are made from polypropylene, which is a byproduct of petroleum, a fossil fuel that requires an incredible amount of energy and natural resources to extract and refine. Polypropylene is identifiable by the resin identification code 5 and is commonly recyclable, just often not in drinking straw format. Size is the biggest barrier to straw recycling. As plastic travels down conveyor belts while being sorted, small items like bottle caps and straws fall through the cracks and end up being sent to the landfill. As of right now there aren’t many (if any) special straw-recycling facilities either, which means when you use a straw, you know that plastic will sit in a landfill for years to come.”
https://livegreen.recyclebank....about-plastic-straws

“It turns out that in the United States, we don’t actually have systems in place to effectively recycle most straws. They quite literally fall through the cracks.
“You can have straws made out of polypropylene, which is entirely recyclable,” says Kartik Chandran, a professor at Columbia University’s Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering. “But the machines we have aren’t really capable of capturing something in the size range of straws.”
That’s how they end up in the ocean, and most viscerally, lodged into the noses of sea turtles.”
https://www.popsci.com/plastic-recycling-straw-ban

All this movement to ban plastic straws is because the machinery isn’t better. So where’s th3 problem?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
This shouldnt come as a surprise. ATF has been gearing up to block straw purchases for years.

Very observant grasshopper....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
OTOH, getting out of a restroom without touching the handle is becoming almost compulsive lately.

Our dishwasher at the last food joint I worked at had no such compunctions. Call it irony, but his name was actually Juan. Little fellow, great sense of humor. I was glad I spoke reasonably passable border Spanish and he took a liking to me. Never saw him wash his hands. I actually caught him coming out of a stall one day and when he headed straight for the door, I barked over my shoulder (while standing at the urinal) "Lava sus manos, cabron!" He laughed and did the teeth sucking/hissing thing and shot back with "no mames, hue!" and just kept right on walking.

I mentioned it to the manager and he said "you wanna work the oven, or do dishes? Because I'm not taking over for Juan and nobody else is going to want to. I can run the oven for you just fine." The implication there was that it had been discussed before and he would either have to fire the guy, or piss him off and risk having him walk just before a busy shift.

So, I mean, there's that. That I eat out at restaurants at all requires a leap of faith on my part, and dishes and flatware, I'm just going to have to trust that they're clean. The vessel I'm drinking out of gets stacked together in huge stacks that require the server to touch the rim of just about each on they handle. That, at least, I can avoid by using a straw.

Oh, and for the love of all that's Holy, don't ever eat at an Applebee's. I saw shit happen there that I'd only ever seen in the movie "Waiting."

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I try not to think about it. I got salmonella poisoning from sashimi because the dickbags decided to cut raw fish where they cut raw chicken, so sometimes it will kill you.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I remember paper straws from early grade school. It was a good way to drink half your chocolate milk.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amazon to the rescue, stainless custom travel straw with case....

Travel Straw Kit

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
They're pretty good for snorting your coke or heroin or meth ...

Just line it up on a hooker's ass. No straw needed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Our dishwasher at the last food joint I worked at had no such compunctions. Call it irony, but his name was actually Juan. Little fellow, great sense of humor. I was glad I spoke reasonably passable border Spanish and he took a liking to me. Never saw him wash his hands. I actually caught him coming out of a stall one day and when he headed straight for the door, I barked over my shoulder (while standing at the urinal) "Lava sus manos, cabron!" He laughed and did the teeth sucking/hissing thing and shot back with "no mames, hue!" and just kept right on walking.

I mentioned it to the manager and he said "you wanna work the oven, or do dishes? Because I'm not taking over for Juan and nobody else is going to want to. I can run the oven for you just fine." The implication there was that it had been discussed before and he would either have to fire the guy, or piss him off and risk having him walk just before a busy shift.

So, I mean, there's that. That I eat out at restaurants at all requires a leap of faith on my part, and dishes and flatware, I'm just going to have to trust that they're clean. The vessel I'm drinking out of gets stacked together in huge stacks that require the server to touch the rim of just about each on they handle. That, at least, I can avoid by using a straw.

Oh, and for the love of all that's Holy, don't ever eat at an Applebee's. I saw shit happen there that I'd only ever seen in the movie "Waiting."

He was a dishwasher. His hands will get washed at the dishwashing sink as he's washing dishes. If the food joint followed proper sanitation procedures, the dishes should have been getting a final rinse at the proper temperature or a diluted bleach dip which will kill any residual germs. That's not to say that it was okay for him not to wash his hands. I'd be more worried about the food preparation people and the wait staff.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in an ice cream shop last week. They had a sign beside the register, saying they were no longer providing plastic straws. Meanwhile, I noticed they had about fifty styrofoam cups beside the drink machine.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The paper straws are aweful and I hate them. They stick to your lips and by the time you're finished with dinner, the straw is a wet noodle that you can't use.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
While waiting for my meal at a place I saw a waitress taking the glasses back to the drink station to get refills for the customers. She would stick a straw into a glass, place her finger on the top of the straw and draw out some drink and stuck it in her mouth to sample it, so she would know what to refill it with. Then, with the same straw, proceeded to do all the other glasses.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post