SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Had my first encounter with paper straws...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had my first encounter with paper straws... Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
They suck ass.

They really disintegrate the minute they touch liquid.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
They're pretty good for snorting your coke or heroin or meth ...

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we went out to dinner last weekend and got our first experience with them as a family. What a useless concept. Absolute waste of paper. The only way to make them work is to only dip them in the drink when you’re going to take a drink, and then shake out the excess liquid and place the straw on a napkin. Who wants to mess around with all that?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:The only way to make them work is to only dip them in the drink when you’re going to take a drink, and then shake out the excess liquid and place the straw on a napkin. Who wants to mess around with all that?

Nobody. At least the old-school paper ones were paraffin-coated. Single-use, sure, but they at least held up for that single use.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
They suck ass. ...
That's not how you use a straw. Eek

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
They suck ass. ...

Google “Feltching”

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, not only did I have to walk through the snow 10 miles uphill both ways to school, we also had to put up with paper straws! And don’t get me started about those little pull tabs in the tops of milk cartons that never worked right and the fact that the cartons only held a quart.

Plastic straws, half gallon cartons, and being able to form a pouring spout with the top of the carton was like the Second Coming.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to using paper straws we had glass milk containers with paper caps. The bottles of milk had lots of condensation and hence were slippery. Needless to say the broke easily when dropped.

I grew up thinking that only women used straws and with a group of guys we would always throw the straws to the side.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Google “Feltching”

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I grew up thinking that only women used straws and with a group of guys we would always throw the straws to the side.

I'm guessing you didn't spend a lot of time working in restaurants. Because until I did, I used to think only women and children used straws, also. Just let your imagination run wild. I didn't have to, I saw enough to convince me to use a sealed and clean drinking surface when I dine out. You know how plastic straws often get served with a bit of the paper wrapper left at the top so you have to pull it off to drink? Yeah, there's a reason for that.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
They suck ass. ...
Google “Feltching”
Nope. I ain't gonna do that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing you didn't spend a lot of time working in restaurants. Because until I did, I used to think only women and children used straws, also. Just let your imagination run wild. I didn't have to, I saw enough to convince me to use a sealed and clean drinking surface when I dine out. You know how plastic straws often get served with a bit of the paper wrapper left at the top so you have to pull it off to drink? Yeah, there's a reason for that.

Yeah my wife went into great detail about that shit. She also gets really pissed when they bring the lemon floating in the ice tea. Growing up, masculinity trumped health. Today not so much.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I worked as a busboy-dishwasher for several summers for a chain called Jim's in San Antonio, TX. Jim's is like Denny's or IHOP. The cleanliness of the dishes depended a lot on the commitment of the guy who loaded the dishwasher. He had to try to keep food scraps, napkins, toothpicks, and such out of the machine. Also to change the water, clean the screens, hose out the interior, and such. Not all were diligent.

One reason that the restraunts that I usually eat at are Taco Bell, What-a-Burger, and sandwhich shops is that the product is delivered in one-use paper wrapping.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
My first encounter was over 50 years ago, they worked fine. Handled a real milkshake with no trouble.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
They suck ass.

They really disintegrate the minute they touch liquid.

Used to have a wax coating.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Ok, let me get this straight. Paper is virtuous, plastic is now evil. Looks like the spotted owls had a good 25 year run, now it’s back to saving the whales. Got it.

Hey, would a paper golf ball still get caught in a whale’s blow hole? Anything to save George from getting wet.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
They suck ass. ...

Google “Feltching”

"Armageddon!!"

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
quote:
They suck ass. ...
Google “Feltching”
Nope. I ain't gonna do that.

Wisdom come early to you, youngling.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
...I grew up thinking that only women used straws and with a group of guys we would always throw the straws to the side.

That's the way I grew up, too, and I didn't realize until now that not everybody is old enough to remember it.

Guys were too practical to waste time drinking through a skinny, collapsing straw, when a Coke could be finished in a couple quick gulps. Girls were too concerned about messing up their lipstick.

Anybody remember trying to use two straws at once to get the job done?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Only homos and communists use straws.