SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I may never get "real" mashed potatoes at home again!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I may never get "real" mashed potatoes at home again! Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Be careful of the cauliflower version of mashed potatoes! They (the Food Conspiracy folks!) are trying to make cauliflower into this year’s version of kale. Big Grin

Homemade is not bad, of course there's a good amount of butter involved.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've had riced cauliflower and found it quite good. But then, I like cauliflower, so...there's that. And yeah...mucho butter required.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It ain't homemade without the lumps! Razz

Posts: 2659 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've had riced cauliflower and found it quite good. But then, I like cauliflower, so...there's that. And yeah...mucho butter required.

While I really like home made mashed potatoes, no question that cauliflower is great too. And FWIW there's spaghetti squash that can be used a whole bunch of ways. Love the stuff!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
And FWIW there's spaghetti squash that can be used a whole bunch of ways. Love the stuff!

Agreed! The problem with spaghetti squash is that they are like zucchini. Only plant one of them unless you want the whole neighborhood to have a supply. Wink Big Grin

Hard to believe one plant could put out that many squash. Sheesh!

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by submoa:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The Bob Evans frozen ones are better than most people's homemade. They keep them near sliced meat here. Toss them in the microwave and done. I could make a meal out of them.

^^^THIS X 1000^^^

You will forget about all other taters!

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Bob Evans frozen ones are better than most people's homemade. They keep them near sliced meat here. Toss them in the microwave and done. I could make a meal out of them.

Yep. Wife bought them once, out of the refrigerated case, and now that is all we ever have and I am not complaining. The only time we have home made mashed potatoes is Christmas.

Back in the mid 70s I moved out after I bought my own house. I made myself mashed potatoes from the box and yes the boxed stuff is much better now than back then.

For us mashed potatoes lovers, we live in good times. Smile

Posts: 9736 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by submoa:
quote:

^^^THIS X 1000^^^

You will forget about all other taters!

Sooooo true, just had 'em tonight with the last of the leftover (scratch) turkey gravy and leftover (scratch) bread stuffing Big Grin

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mash potato's are cheap, easy to make and taste good. Potatoes have a shelf life of only @2-4 weeks (depending, you can get more if you are a root celler owner).

Box potato's are cheap, easy to make and taste good. Potatoes have a shelf life of @12-24 months but I bet they'd be good 10 years later.

Also, the boxed hash browns are also excellent emergency food. They store at room temp for years and taste great.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
..I'll never forget my Grandmother's mashed potatoes.
I am considering starting a business: Three Grandmothers and a Senior Van, who will come to your home and cook mashed potatoes.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Yea, just on a whim and partly to stock some emergency food supplies, I suggested the wife try some instant mashed potatoes. You know, for emergencies and the occasional quick easy meal.

She picked up some "Idahoan Mashed Potatoes" at Walmart. They were actually OK, very edible at least. I guess instant potatoes have come a long way and I made the mistake of telling the wife that.

Now, we have always often had mashed potatoes... but I haven't seen a real one at home in a year!

Cheap... ~99 cent for a package that is rated for 4 servings.
Several flavors to choose from.
Easy... just add water.
Fast... microwave, 3-4 min.

Guess I can't blame her, but she even served them Thanksgiving to our 17 guest!

Oh well, I have self inflicted, again. Roll Eyes
We tried that same brand the other day . My wife added just a little milk and some butter and they were pretty damn good . Supper quick .

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to include Betty Crocker mashed potatoes along with he Idahoan brand. They are actually a little better, in fact, as they call for milk and butter and don't take any longer to prepare.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Be careful of the cauliflower version of mashed potatoes! They (the Food Conspiracy folks!) are trying to make cauliflower into this year’s version of kale. Big Grin

wife brought that crap home a week or so ago,

nasty,

just freaking nasty

I'm a mashed potato purist myself of course.
But...we have a little farm to table cafe close by that recently served cauliflower mashed potatoes (think it was a hybrid/combo with part real potatoes).
They were freakin awesome!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know what doesn't take hardly any time to prepare? KFC mashed potatoes. And they come with gravy!

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Well OP, did you get real mashed potatoes for Christmas?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Well OP, did you get real mashed potatoes for Christmas?

Nope...

But then I never actually complained to the cook. I still like sleeping with her after 40 years so... Big Grin.

Actually Christmas dinner did not go well. My dear sweet wife let herself get flustered... and mistakes were made. Bad communications with the guest ended up with the meal ready ~2 hours ahead of time so keeping everything warm on hold for a couple hours wasn't good.

A couple things she put in the oven to keep warm, including the dressing, suffered particularly bad. She set it just to keep the stuff warm... OK, but not realizing the oven had cooled enough that it went back into preheat mode, yea, the broiler unit came on for a couple minutes unknown to her.

I didn't fair much better. I had ONE job... make a pot of coffee. Had it locked and loaded ahead of time for the two or three that like drink it with their meal. I got to talking about big bore lever action rifles with my Son In Law and forgot to turn it on until after the blessing was said. Oops.
c
The Honey Baked Ham was really good, as were the desserts she made. Chess pie, pecan pie, brownies, a cheesecake and a couple others.

Those fake potatoes... well, they kind of turned into something I would best describe as resembling Play-doh.

Two good things on the day. We had a great visit with family, and she threw out most of the leftovers.

Bless her heart. I still ain't complaining.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still ain't complaining

Smart man. Sorry it didn't come out perfectly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When I have baked potatoes, I eat the skin too, and love it. But I hate it when mashed potatoes have skin in them. Dunno why that is…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
When I have baked potatoes, I eat the skin too, and love it. But I hate it when mashed potatoes have skin in them. Dunno why that is.
Me too! I like crispy skin on baked potatos, do not like skin at all in mashed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
The BEST mashed potatoes on the planet are the ones made with a Sous Vide method, nothing is lost in the water bath. All the wonderfulness that comes from good mashed is magnified with this method. Put your potatoes, butter, cream, salt, etc in the bag, seal, Sous Vide, mush up real good while still in the sealed bag, then cut a corner off and squeeze out the potato love!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post