SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I may never get "real" mashed potatoes at home again!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I may never get "real" mashed potatoes at home again! Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Yea, just on a whim and partly to stock some emergency food supplies, I suggested the wife try some instant mashed potatoes. You know, for emergencies and the occasional quick easy meal.

She picked up some "Idahoan Mashed Potatoes" at Walmart. They were actually OK, very edible at least. I guess instant potatoes have come a long way and I made the mistake of telling the wife that.

Now, we have always often had mashed potatoes... but I haven't seen a real one at home in a year!

Cheap... ~99 cent for a package that is rated for 4 servings.
Several flavors to choose from.
Easy... just add water.
Fast... microwave, 3-4 min.

Guess I can't blame her, but she even served them Thanksgiving to our 17 guest!

Oh well, I have self inflicted, again. Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You could always make them yourself though, right?

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Do like the public school used to do. Mix in one or two sorta lumpy potatoes to keep 'em guessing. Wink

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nope. The real thing is super easy and much better.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The instants aren't bad, but are still no substitute for the real thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

LOL! I suppose... first time for everything they say.

Just need to find a good restaurant that doesn't leave the peeling in them to get my fix on occasion.

Man, if I live to be 100 I'll never forget my Grandmothers mashed potatoes. They were the best ever, with my Mom's a close second.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Blasphemer.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Butter and a few spices, all is O.K..

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
OMG, that's so offensive. He could be Italian or something! Big Grin

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Damn, I got's no words.

And your location says Tennessee...?

No self respecting Southern Woman would serve instant anything at Thanksgiving, much less potatoes.

Hopefully the Turkey and dressing was real. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The Bob Evans frozen ones are better than most people's homemade. They keep them near sliced meat here. Toss them in the microwave and done. I could make a meal out of them.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait, what?!?!

You just don't do that, whatever you do, you don't do that. Ho Lee Fuk. Wow.

Granted I have not had any instant potatoes (knowingly) in 20+ years, possibly at a restaurant like Popeye's, maybe. I seriously can not believe that there has been a major breakthrough in instant potato technology since then.

Please don't let her serve those to guests, if it's the two of you, whatever floats your boat. Just never serve that to guests, especially family. The chatty Kathy's will be making fun of her behind her back.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Since I bought my freeze-dryer, my opinions have changed some.

Instant potatoes are just freeze-dried mashed potatoes. Water removed, water replaced.

No difference.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I don't even remember the last time I had real mashed potatoes. Idahoan is what we use as well. They are good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Since I bought my freeze-dryer, my opinions have changed some.

Instant potatoes are just freeze-dried mashed potatoes. Water removed, water replaced.

No difference.

The Idahoan's are pretty good and actually have a similar consistency to real mashed potatoes. I eat them on occasion. That is until you read the ingredients and all of the crap they put into them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The Idahoan's are pretty good and actually have a
similar consistency to real mashed potatoes. I eat them on occasion. That is until you read the ingredients and all of the crap they put into them.

True enough. The big manufacturers do put in a bunch of crap that nobody needs to eat, but I've made a ton of instant potatoes (with bacon, sour cream, chives, you name it in the flavor variety) and they are no different than "real" mashed taters once reconstituted.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the Nutrition panel on that box of mashed potatoes and I suspect that you will find the Sodium content is rather high, Probably in excess of 480 mg per serving. Then read about the effect of excess sodium intake on the Heart, Kidneys, and Live. IT will also increase blood pressure.

Yeah, I'm on a low sodium diet. Having to have a Mitral Valve Repair and Triple Bypass can be a real eye opener.

So I now actually look at these labels and have found food items that either have to be totally eliminated from my diet. The obvious front runner is Bacon, but I also can't have almost anything in a can except for canned corn. No Soup, No canned tomatoes, no frozen dinners, absolutely no restaurant food. As for "low sodium" products, those are on the severely limit intake list.

My advice is that if you want healthy mashed potatoes you will need to use real potatoes. Note, peel some Russet Potatoes and steam them in a Steamer for about 40 minutes and you wouldn't ever consider boxed mashed potatoes as acceptable. I would also suggest you use Olive Oil instead of Butter. If you want a hint of salt flavor try blending in a small amount of lemon juice and white vinegar. I will also note that Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme aren't just a song, they are seasonings that are fantastic with any type of Potatoe, be them baked, mashed, or sauteed at a reduced temperature in some higher quality Olive Oil.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The Bob Evans frozen ones are better than most people's homemade. They keep them near sliced meat here. Toss them in the microwave and done. I could make a meal out of them.

^^^THIS X 1000^^^

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Be careful of the cauliflower version of mashed potatoes! They (the Food Conspiracy folks!) are trying to make cauliflower into this year’s version of kale. Big Grin

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Be careful of the cauliflower version of mashed potatoes! They (the Food Conspiracy folks!) are trying to make cauliflower into this year’s version of kale. Big Grin

wife brought that crap home a week or so ago,

nasty,

just freaking nasty

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post