SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Had it with the daily COVID19 counts...reminds me of Vietnam reporting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had it with the daily COVID19 counts...reminds me of Vietnam reporting Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Many of you are probably too young, but back during Vietnam news outlets would provide daily counts of servicemen killed.

And now, decades later we have the same crap but with Covid19.

No one dares compare the figures, now known to be artificially inflated, with regular Flu, cancer deaths, or even vehicle fatalities. Their emphasis is singularly focused on the virus period. Just as it was with body counts. Although today I feel the reporting is designed to instill fear whereas back then it was clothed in thinly veiled anti-war sentiment.

I try to avoid hearing or reading these daily counts of deaths, infections, hospitalization, etc., but it is damned near impossible. Hence my RANT!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have a local news station app installed on my phone. I get push notifications about various headlines throughout the day. In April and May, I was getting multiple notifications per day about death figures, numbers of new cases, etc. The numbers went up, and then they went down. Way down. To the point where I, and likely many others, were wondering "why is it news that 12 people died today and they think it's significant because that's the most people who've died in a day in over a month? Do I really need an alert for that on my phone?" The notifications started skipping a day, then a few, and now it's only a few times a week at best.

I think the scamdemic is just about played out. People are sick of this nonsense. It was blown waaaaay out of proportion and politicized by the left, and used to put a stranglehold on the best economy this country has ever had to hurt a President they can't stand, and it just has to go on for a few more weeks. They don't want to give up at the finish line, so until election day at least, we'll continue to get death toll counts because "Donald Trump is responsible for the death of over 200,000 Americans and climbing."

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I try to avoid hearing or reading these daily counts of deaths, infections, hospitalization, etc., but it is damned near impossible.

Nah, it's easy. I totally ignore them manipulated stats.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
COVID is 90% of the local news. Daily counts and how everyone is dealing with it. An endless spiel that only serves to spread fear and disrupt lives, schools and business.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm sick of the whole Covid scam Sure it's real. But right now it is just another tool being used to hurt Trump. 200,000 deaths of what MIGHT be caused by only Covid.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
COVID is 90% of the local news. Daily counts and how everyone is dealing with it. An endless spiel that only serves to spread fear and disrupt lives, schools and business.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
On the Gulf Coast it has been 24/7 hurricanes. I guess it will return to COVID shortly after November. The numbers are TOTALLY meaningless and are presented without context. I do not recall the media doing that with AIDS.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
At least we only have this thread and not 213k pages of COVID posts...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bald 1, KOTA TV does seem to dedicate a major amount of time to the Covid #'s, don't they!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember the body counts on the evening news every day . This Covid bullshit is just like it . Not interested .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Bald 1, KOTA TV does seem to dedicate a major amount of time to the Covid #'s, don't they!

Jim,
Not just KOTA/KEVN, but also KNBN and KELO. Frown
Bob

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You can tell it’s a scam by how the metrics change. First, it was how the mortality rate was so much greater. “More deadly” than the regular flu. When that fell apart, it was hospitalizations. When that fell apart, they tried desperately to juke the stats with car wrecks and suicides. When that was exposed, now it’s “case incident rate”. Which strangely in the state where I live is like 21 percent in one major metro area. And half a percent every place else.

That’s falling apart now. They are presently ramping up “free resting” advertisements. Guess not enough people are falling for the scam these days. So, they have to advertise now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
One of our local TV stations had a breathless story tonight on how "9 people...of thousands that attended" a Trump rally in MN tested positive for Covid. Except that is actually LOWER than the national infection rate.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not much has changed, News with an agenda.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of you are probably too young, but back during Vietnam news outlets would provide daily counts of servicemen killed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
The enemy body count was a daily obssession as well. Turns out those numbers were grossly exaggerated. Westmoreland was very focussed on these metrics, as to whether we were winning the war.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've been saying that the figures we are getting at least in Michigan are bull.... numbers.

For example, take a date like today. The state has "X" amount of new cases and reports "X" amount of deaths today. Now today, the state has reclassified several deaths that occurred at an earlier date than today as Covid related, take the reclassified deaths and add to today's numbers "because" as of today they are considered Covid deaths.

So with the daily figures "enhanced" with the number of earlier reclassified deaths you get an inflated figure, useless if you are tracking the daily death numbers as trying to get an idea if or if not the actions that are being done to limit the spread are really leading to lower death totals.

At least one of our TV stations here while including reclassified deaths in the totals also state the number of deaths added to the daily totals from earlier reclassified ones.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest BS: Prisoners who test positive at Marquette Branch Prison are now being added to our county numbers.
Thats a group who are easily quarantined! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They can move in with Gretchen!

Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
o.p....you are right, i had forgotten.
every night on the nightly news.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We no longer have a Pandemic

We now have a CASEDEMIC

cases, cases, cases, cases, cases, cases

That's ALL you hear about..."CASES"

That's because very few people are dying or even having to be hospitalized for the Chinese Flu Roll Eyes

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get medically-related e-mails. I got an encouraging one today, that said recent studies have shown a reduction in deaths for patients requiring hospitalization as doctors gain more experience treating the disease. Two of my friends recently went home after spending a week in the ICU, one was in his eighties.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post