SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    melatonin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

melatonin Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
One 10mg melatonin one 16oz beer.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One advil PM does wonders for me.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Benadryl!

To be honest, I'm usually a night person, so I only take that when I had a few days off in a row to get my sleep cycle back on track for the work week.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
It is my wonder drug. 3mg 30 minutes before bed.

Same...except I take 10mg. Out like a light 20 minutes later. Enough time to finish up the last bit of whiskey in my glass, brush my teeth, and take a leak.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
20 mg quick release melatonin, two shots NyQuil (actually Walmart generic equivalent) and three shots of Fireball.

Shift worker, day sleeper approved.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I know that you are already an exerciser, but have you considered adding some yoga or such to your evening routine?

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Bre,

I think a lot of my issue is the time of day I eat. I won't get into specifics, but I "wake" up every day around the same time. But sometimes we eat at 8-9pm. Not good. But that is our only option.

A lot of it is stress. I'm very involved with my kids' sports, and I always get this way this time of year. But I have been able to throttle that down, and at least make it a non-issue.

I have actually been staying up later, and it has been working. It's all about the circadian rhythm.

I'm pretty good with 4 hours of sleep.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Add Valerian root with 10 mg Melatonin.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benadryl gives me a headache when it wears off and magnesium gives me the runs.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have dealt with chronic insomnia since my mid teens. I would kill for melatonin or most common things to work for me.

The list of crap I wished worked for me:

Melatonin
Benadryl
Zzzquil
Exercise
Alcohol
Ambien
Time released Ambien
Every OTC sleep aid
Valium
Beta blockers
Sleepy time tea
Temazepam

I'm sure I'm forgetting far too many.

Oddly, the only one that ever seemed to give me odd dreams was melatonin.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:

I count on the wild ass dreams at my age,some are very nice and some scare the hell out of me Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:

I count on the wild ass dreams at my age,some are very nice and some scare the hell out of me Big Grin

Oh, I welcome them as well! Crap, I'm just happy when I sleep.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
1. Secrets To Sleeping Soundly

There are many reasons why people have a difficult time staying asleep. The good news is that common problems with sleep are often easily addressed without the use of medication or pharmaceutical sleep aids. There are no guaranteed natural cures for insomnia, but there are effective steps you can take, including natural sleep aids. Ask yourself these questions (and try the simple sleep aid recommendations) if you find yourself waking frequently in the night:

Are you physically uncomfortable? A too soft or too firm mattress, an uncomfortable pillow, or an older, worn-out bed can all impede a good night’s sleep. Check your mattress for signs of wear at least twice a year, and consider new pillows. You may also want to see an osteopathic physician who specializes in osteopathic manipulative therapy. A session or two of this safe and effective sleep aid treatment can be life-changing.
Is your bedroom noisy? Consider a “white noise” generator to fight insomnia. This is an inexpensive but effective device for making soothing sounds to mask jangling ones.
Is your mind overactive? If you can’t sleep because of thoughts whirling through your head, try the Relaxing Breath, which can help you put aside the thoughts that are keeping you awake. A few stretches can help encourage sleep, too.
Are you frequently getting up to urinate and then not able to get back to sleep? Eliminate caffeine and alcohol, especially before bedtime: both can increase nighttime urination and therefore sleep disturbances.
Are you using tech devices prior to sleep? This has become one of the most common sleep disturbing habits in our society today. Using smartphones, tablets, and computers prior to sleep can lower levels of melatonin and shorten REM cycles. Turning off technology one to two hours prior to sleep can significantly improve quality of sleep.

If you experiment with all these possibilities and still wake in the early morning hours, try getting up and reading or doing some light stretching – anything other than watching the clock and worrying about the sleep you’re losing. Taking your mind off the problem can help to relax you and may help you to fall back asleep.

2. Understanding Insomnia

Insomnia is a relatively common sleeping disorder, affecting about one-third of the adult population worldwide. Insomnia is more common in women, but quality of sleep often decreases equally in both women and men as we age.

There are a variety of factors that can cause insomnia: stress (including anxiety about not being able to sleep), extreme temperature fluctuations, environmental noise or changes, medication side effects, hormones, or disruption to the regular sleep pattern. Depression, chronic pain, a variety of health issues and sleep apnea can also contribute to insomnia. Lifestyle can also affect insomnia: studies have shown that consuming alcohol or caffeine and smoking cigarettes before bedtime disrupts sleep, as can excessive napping in the afternoon or evening.

These are not guaranteed natural cures for insomnia, but each may provide relief:

Establish a consistent bedtime routine. Take a warm bath, go for a relaxing stroll, or practice meditation/relaxation exercises as part of your regular nighttime routine.
Try to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each morning, including on weekends.
Get plenty of exercise during the day. Studies have shown people who are physically active sleep better than those who are sedentary. The more energy you expend during the day (preferable earlier in the day) the sleepier you will feel at bedtime.
Reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol, particularly in the evening.
Avoid large meals late in the evening.
Learn and use a relaxation technique regularly. Breathing exercises, meditation, and yoga are good examples.
Use “white noise” devices to block out surrounding environmental noise.
Don’t obsess about not sleeping. Not surprisingly, studies have shown that individuals who worry about falling asleep have greater trouble dropping off. It may help to remind yourself that while sleeplessness is troublesome, it isn’t life-threatening.
Short naps are good. Try to get into the habit of napping: nap for no longer than 10 to 20 minutes in the afternoon, preferably lying down in a darkened room.
Spend some time outdoors as often as you can to get exposure to bright, natural light. If you are concerned about harmful effects of solar radiation, do it before 10 a.m. or after 3 p.m. and use sunscreen.
Try to give yourself some time (up to an hour) in dim light before you go to sleep at night. Lower the lighting in your house and bedroom and if other members of the household object, wear sunglasses.
The two best natural sleep aid treatments are valerian and melatonin. Valerian is a sedative herb that has used for centuries to address insomnia. You can find standardized extracts in health food stores and pharmacies. Take one to two capsules a half hour before bedtime. Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the wake/sleep cycle and other daily biorhythms. Try sublingual tablets (to be placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve); take 2.5 mg at bedtime as an occasional dose, making sure that your bedroom is completely dark. A much lower dose, 0.25 to 0.3 mg, is more effective for regular use.

3. Avoiding Afternoon Slowdowns

Many people find themselves losing steam in the afternoon, due to a variety of reasons. If you experience afternoon slumps, ask yourself the following:

Do you exercise regularly? Exercising can help keep your energy levels high, especially if you exercise in the morning.
Are your lunches heavy in carbohydrates? Midday meals with lots of carbs can make you sleepy. Make sure your lunch has a balance of carbs and protein.
Do your snacks come in the form of a candy bar? Stay away from refined and processed foods, especially products heavy on sugar. While they can cause an initial energy spike, they are usually followed by a decline in energy. Opt for a healthier snack, like fresh fruit, that will better sustain your energy.
How do you combat boredom? Instead of slumping in your chair, get up and go for a brief walk, to get your blood flowing.
How much coffee do you drink in the morning? A coffee drinker’s energy cycle is usually controlled by coffee – energized early in the day, lethargic and slow in the late afternoon. Ginseng tea is a good coffee substitute, one that is less likely to make you feel sluggish in the afternoon.

4. Coping with Insomnia

Insomnia is a relatively common sleeping disorder, affecting about one-third of the adult population worldwide. Unfortunately, as we age, quality of sleep can decrease. While different types of insomnia have different causes, most people can find relief through natural remedies for insomnia, regardless of the source of their insomnia:

Establish a consistent bedtime routine, and try to go to bed at the same time every night. Get plenty of exercise during the day. The more energy you expend during the day, the sleepier you will feel at bedtime.
Reduce or eliminate your intake of caffeine, stimulants and alcohol. Even when consumed early in the day, these can affect sleep.
Avoid large meals late in the evening.
Learn and practice a relaxation technique regularly. Breathing exercises, meditation, and yoga are good examples, although these are not sure-fire natural cures for insomnia.
Don’t obsess about not sleeping. Instead, remind yourself that while occasional sleeplessness is troublesome, it isn’t life threatening.

5. Drowsing in the Afternoon?

Each of us has different patterns of high and low states of energy throughout the day. Some people find that exercise in the morning can go a long way toward keeping their energy level consistent during the afternoon. A secret known to those who have become habitual exercisers is that effort creates energy. Don’t wait for energy to come when you are tired; as soon as you begin to feel that afternoon slump, shake it off by moving your body. Try taking a brisk walk after lunch. It may be what you need to keep you awake and alert the rest of the day.

6. Fighting Fatigue With Insomnia Herbs

If you feel worn down or are lacking energy due to improper sleep, a hectic schedule or day-to-day stressors, learn how to fight fatigue naturally with insomnia herbs. Taking a few minutes for yourself and doing simple breathing exercises can be helpful, as can daily moderate exercise and getting adequate rest. Certain nutrients, botanicals and other compounds can also help to ward off or lessen the effects of general fatigue. Experiment with the following insomnia herbs and natural remedies for insomnia:

Magnesium. Supplementation with this mineral has been shown to improve symptoms of fatigue in persons with low magnesium levels.
Eleuthero (Siberian) ginseng. Studies suggest that his herb (Eleutherococcus senticosus) can help enhance mental activity as well as physical endurance.
Coenzyme Q10. This vital nutrient is involved in cellular energy production throughout the body.
Ashwagandha. This Ayurvedic herb is prized for its ability to help the body deal with stress.
Cordyceps. This traditional Chinese medicinal mushroom may help fight fatigue and boost energy levels.

7. Natural Remedies For Insomnia

Sleep is an important part of reaching your health goals. Shakespeare called sleep “the chief nourisher in life’s feast.” Adequate sleep is a primary component of a healthy lifestyle. Although often the undesirable result of our busy lives, insufficient sleep may also be indicative of imperfect health, and can itself lead to future health problems.

Here are some suggestions for getting the sleep you need to protect body and mind:

Eliminate caffeine from your diet, especially in the form of soft drinks and coffee, as well as in over-the-counter drugs (check the labels).
Practice daily breathing exercises, and the relaxing breath when falling asleep.
Take a warm bath before bedtime.
Get at least 45 minutes of aerobic activity every day.

8. Sleep For Weight Loss

Want help achieving and maintaining a healthy weight? Aim for eight hours of sleep a night. Research suggests that appetite-regulating hormones are affected by sleep and that sleep deprivation could lead to weight gain. In two studies, people who slept five hours or less per night had higher levels of ghrelin – a hormone that stimulates hunger – and lower levels of the appetite-suppressing hormone leptin than those who slept eight hours per night. So make sure getting adequate sleep is near the top of your optimum health checklist!

9. Trouble Counting Sheep?

Insomnia is a relatively common sleep disorder, affecting about one-third of the adult population worldwide. Insomnia can cause severe sleeplessness and is more common in women, but the quality of sleep decreases equally in both women and men as we age.

Typical symptoms of insomnia include problems falling asleep, waking up frequently in the night with difficulty falling back to sleep, waking too early in the morning, and feeling unrefreshed when waking in the morning.

The causes of insomnia are varied. Noise, temperature changes, medication side effects, jet lag, and a change in surroundings can all cause insomnia, as can PMS, menopause, menstruation, or pregnancy.
If you suffer from insomnia, try to stick to a routine at bedtime, and go to bed at the same time every day. Avoid caffeine and nicotine before bedtime, and get plenty of exercise during the day. A dark room free of noise may also help-consider buying a “white noise” device if your bedroom is noisy. If you are having trouble falling asleep, try relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, meditation, or yoga.

10. Trouble Sleeping? Try Mantram

Mantram is the practice of repeating over and over in the mind certain syllables, words or phrases that help unify consciousness and counteract negative mental states. It is especially helpful for people with restless minds, whose turbulent thoughts keep them from relaxing, concentrating and falling asleep. The repetition of a verbal formula is a way of focusing the thinking mind and counteracting the damage done to both mind and body by thoughts that produce anxiety, agitation and unhappiness.

You can practice mantram anywhere, especially as a sleep aid and a natural remedy for insomnia- it is a totally portable technique, requires no training or equipment, and can be used in any circumstance, so long as you don’t practice it while doing something that otherwise requires your undivided attention. Try experimenting with it – choose a word, sound or phrase that is pleasing to you, and repeat it. If your mind wanders, simply focus back on the word. You will be amazed at the results.

https://www.drweil.com/health-...ral-sleep-aids-tips/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
The important thing to know about taking melatonin is that it can help you sleep, IF the problem you have keeping you from sleeping is a lack of melatonin in your system.
When you take it, your internal systems automatically adjust and you stop making your own melatonin. So when you stop, your body needs a lot of nights of no sleep to start making it again.
There's dozens of causes of insomnia and sleep issues, and lack of melatonin is just one of them. You might make the proper amount yourself, but your cortisol is sky high. You might be helped by anti-anxiety pills. You might need to start with cognitive behavior therapy, and something called sleep compression.
Sleep compression sucks to implement but it is super effective, especially for those that tend to wake throughout the night, and is usually the "ultimate" treatment used for sleep issues by doctors. So here's the deal. You do the math over the course of a week, and even though you are in bed for 8 hours, you only actually sleep 4 hours a night on average, and you need to wake up at 7am. That means since you only get 4 hours of sleep, you cannot go to bed until 3am. Not lay in bed watching TV, etc. You shouldn't even see your bed during the day or night until you are ready to sleep. So you should be good and exhausted at 3am, and you'll sleep until 7am pretty much guaranteed at this point. After a week or two of that, go to bed 15-30 minutes earlier. You're body is still used to not sleeping much each night, but most importantly, it has adjusted to sleeping in one long stretch. Every week or so add a bit more time until you're getting enough sleep. If you start to wake in the middle of sleeping again, re-compress your time.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My wife does not sleep well at all every night and my mom has cancer and has fought it naturally so she knows a TON about anything natural. She told me about this recipe to help you sleep. I couldn't see how any of these ingredients would make you sleep, but holy crap it does! I make it and my wife drinks a glass each evening and sleeps great. I drank it and slept great and didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. It is supposed to also have anti-cancer qualities, antioxidants, helps with digestion, and helps the liver. From what I read, the ground black pepper is important to aid in the absorption of the turmeric.

I never thought the drink would work or taste good but it does both. I personally use organic coconut milk with vanilla flavoring.

Turmeric Milk
2 cups coconut or almond milk
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp raw honey or sweetener of your choice
Sprinkle in cinnamon to your choice
Optional: add 1/2 tsp of magnesium powder.

In a small pot, bring coconut or almond milk to a boil, turn off the heat and whisk in all other ingredients. You can substitute the milk of your choice and adjust the amount and type of sweetener used such as agave, stevia, raw cane sugar, coconut sugar, maple etc.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modestglock26:
The list of crap I wished worked for me:
Melatonin
Benadryl
Zzzquil
Exercise
Alcohol
Ambien
Time released Ambien
Every OTC sleep aid
Valium
Beta blockers
Sleepy time tea
Temazepam

Ambien does not work so well for me, but another prescription does. You may have tried it and did not mention in your list. But if you have not tried it, give a go at eszopiclone (generic name for Lunesta). It has worked much better for me than Ambien (zoldipem).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One word.
Valium

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post