SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Start the movie already!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Start the movie already! Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I took my kids to see Incredibles 2 today at an AMC. I haven’t been to any theater other than a smaller local one in years. The movie was supposed to start at 12:30pm but after two advertisements for the theater I was already at, 7 previews for other movies, a promo for the movie I’d already paid to see and a terrible short film the movie finally started at 1:04pm. 34 minutes of bullshit.

It was my first trip to AMC in a decade or so and it’s likely my last for at least that long.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go about once a year. The ads are bullshit. Wife and I usually go to the earliest showing, sometimes 10am. We're usually alone so the wife can do her running commentary that I can't hear cause of the deaf guy loop.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tell me about it. Went to JP: fallen kingdom. Movie started at 1:30 did not get out of the movie till 4:20 pm.

The movie is 2 hours 10 min, that was 40 fucking minutes of trailers.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Pixar films always have a short at the beginning. It's part of the deal.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Oh I know. I’ve seen every Pixar movie made in the last 11 years Wink

Usually I like them but this one was dumb. It also came after a little promo from the actors talking about how they know it’s been a long time since the first one which’s ends with something like “Now without further ado...” Except there was ado. Terrible ado.

It isn’t fair to blame AMC for that but the 7 previews and two commercials for AMC that proceeded that was absurd.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Commercials had a purpose at the Drive Inn. You know the dancing hot dog and popcorn while you made your way to the concession stand or spent some quality time with Mary Sue.

I recall seeing brief cartoons as well, before the main movie. These days I generally avoid the movie theatre. The local theatre having a reported bed bug problem sealed the deal.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I went for the first time in years. 25 for tickets 25 for 2 pop corn and drinks.

Screw that ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I went for the first time in years. 25 for tickets 25 for 2 pop corn and drinks.

Screw that ....

Right there with you. Mrs. SWPAMike wanted to see Oceans 8. $40 for two people. The movie was enjoyable but no more so that on demand ($5) and Orville Redenbacher ($2) and the beverage of one's choice. No parking hassle, no moronic talking/texting and I can stop the movie to do whatever. Of course it did make Mrs. SWPAMike smile, priceless.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That's why I love The Movie Tavern. You order your tix online and get reserved seats, you can show up right after all the BS ends, and if someone is in your seat, you kindly tell them to un-ass your reserved seat.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
The last few times I was at the movies (Infinity Wars, Solo) IIRC the movie started at the stated ticket time, the previews started 15min before that. I'll have to pay attention to the time at start of the movie when we go see Incredibles 2.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That's why I love The Movie Tavern. You order your tix online and get reserved seats, you can show up right after all the BS ends, and if someone is in your seat, you kindly tell them to un-ass your reserved seat.

The Regal by me does this too. Order on the app, choose your seats and you're good to go.

Although I won't pass up a chance to go to the Movie Tavern, I'd don't want to drive the turnpike to Flourtown or Collegeville regularly just to see a movie.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Well you figured it out for that theater. I reserve my seat when I go (all seats are reserved at my Cinemark) then I game it, knowing it’ll be 22-25 minutes of commercials, previews, concessions, etc. I sit down and 1-2 minutes later the film starts.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to see Sicario: Soldado last Friday and it was the same torture: 25 goddamned minutes of trailers. It’s like they add one more every 6 months, “only” had to deal with 15 minutes with Logan 15 months ago.
I’m going to start showing up 15 minutes late, too. AND I pulled my phone out during the 6th or 7th trailer to check the time and the dick sniffing projectionist started rapping on his glass. I’m very discreet during the feature but who gives a shit about previews?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the short. The ads irritate me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that all the previews at Incredibles 2 were for other animated movies that appealed to kids. Took two of my grand kids, got a nice nap despite an incredibly loud soundtrack.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have moviepass so I can see an unlimited amount of movies for the $9.95/month fee. So I get my monies worth. I see the last showing of the day, and I arrive 20 min after showtime. I usually see the last preview, and then the movie promptly starts. I get a free popcorn every 3rd visit with the Regal rewards card, and I bring a bottle of water from home. Cheap entertainment.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

This was the first theater I’d been to that let you reserve seats. I liked it. Also they had the real fancy recliners.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Oh I know. I’ve seen every Pixar movie made in the last 11 years Wink

Usually I like them but this one was dumb. It also came after a little promo from the actors talking about how they know it’s been a long time since the first one which’s ends with something like “Now without further ado...” Except there was ado. Terrible ado.

It isn’t fair to blame AMC for that but the 7 previews and two commercials for AMC that proceeded that was absurd.

Was it the weird "asian lady with her dumpling baby" short, where she eats it? That was indeed bad...kinda creeped me out, actually.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Was it the weird "asian lady with her dumpling baby" short, where she eats it? That was indeed bad...kinda creeped me out, actually.

It was. Creepy right? I typically enjoy the Pixar shorts but this one was just weird.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

It was. Creepy right? I typically enjoy the Pixar shorts but this one was just weird.

Yeah...gave my younger kids nightmares. Heck, it almost gave me nightmares! That was some weird crap, especially as a lead-in to a kids movie.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
35 minutes of previews today. Yes it's getting stupid.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post