SIGforum
It's time we demanded Truth in Advertising

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9310064164

September 28, 2019, 06:52 AM
PHPaul
It's time we demanded Truth in Advertising
Our "local" daily newspaper is The Bangor Daily News. One of the nicer names it gets called is The Bangor Deadly.

If it weren't a dead-certain waste of time, I'd start a petition to demand a more accurate name: The Bangor Democratic Mouthpiece.

You can absolutely count on a daily dose of TDS, "common sense gun controls" and Oh, Those Poor Illegal Immigrants Potential Democratic Voters.

We don't pay for it, my wife's brain-dead sister does and drops it off at our house when she's done with it. I read the funny pages and do the crossword and rarely even scan the rest of the propaganda.

When I do (desperate for something to read on the Throne this morning) I wind up pissed off for the rest of the day.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 28, 2019, 07:55 AM
cas
I would also like to force them to stop "naming" bills, especially when they rarely reflect what the bill truly is. ("Congressman John Smith voted against the "Stop Kicking Puppies" bill, vote for me, Joe Blow."

September 28, 2019, 11:20 AM
YooperSigs
Our local rag is referred to as "The Mining Urinal".
I also enjoy the crosswords. But little else. And they stopped publishing a Sunday issue. The word scramble is from.... Australia!
Crikey!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 28, 2019, 12:42 PM
HRK
The Orlando Sentinel aka the Whorelando Slantinel

Dropped years ago, full of nothing but advertising and bs leftist articles.

September 28, 2019, 03:58 PM
rburg
You guys bitch about almost everything. We don't have a daily paper around here. Haven't had in years. Sure, it was full of garbage and other leftist bullshit. But if you disregard the 95% of that stuff, there were occasional tidbits of only mildly tainted things. The TV news is just trash. There, even the newsreaders are commies.

The city is blowing money down along the floodwal. I have no idea what they're doing and no one to ask. Some of the TV crap is hard to figure out where the leftist slant is. I'm sure its there, but without a print edition to compare against, I just don't know.

I learned to read from the daily paper. Well, that and Playboy. Really, I read the articles...or about how intelligent the models were. I was just a teen with a lump in my pants, so how was I to figure out who was telling the truth. But those curves sure talked to me.

And I learned another thing. Anytime I had personal first hand knowledge of a subject, be it a wreck or fire or whatever, the paper got it all wrong. These days, the girls I see nekkid on the internet have implants. Not that there'e anything wrong with that.. its kind of a lie.

Unhappy ammo seeker
September 28, 2019, 04:21 PM
2BobTanner
“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” Mark Twain (apocryphally perhaps)

I ditched the Louisville Communist-Urinal years ago and I’m still well informed about local, national, and international matters thru the good auspices of SigForum and the like, even though the local TV news folks are all CNN-wannabes.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
September 28, 2019, 04:22 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You guys bitch about almost everything.
Bahhahahahahahha

FTW!!!!! Can't bitch at / about SWMBO, that'll getcha sleeping on the sofa eating tuna from a can.
September 29, 2019, 08:20 AM
Fredward
We have the Lexington Herald-Liberal, or Lie Beral. I subscribe occasionally when it's free, and we stack them up in the garage for cat box liners. There are only two comics I enjoy anyway.
September 29, 2019, 03:25 PM
NK402
Might not be so prevalent if folks paid more attention to where their kids were going to college.
September 30, 2019, 10:21 AM
sandman76
Around these parts we have one daily. I call it the Denver Compost.