SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you're going to display the U.S. Flag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're going to display the U.S. Flag Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Do it properly and with respect, or don't do it.

Our town started doing a street-side flag display a ways back. Don't remember exactly how long, but after 9/11.

They put holders, 4 foot staffs and appropriately sized flags on every power pole down one side of Main Street and the other main road that comes into town. Probably 100 in all. Not an inexpensive project.

Looks REALLY good during July.

Problem is, they go up and then they get ignored until the following July. They get torn and tattered, wrapped around the poles, bent, hanging from one eyelet or falling down completely and left in the dirt to rot.

I picked up two this morning on our walk and dropped them at the town office. I've bitched about this before with no results. Now I'm on the war path. Started with a polite but clearly worded (how's that for a euphemism?) letter to the Town Manager and the Board of Selectmen (New England equivalent to Town Council). The jist of it: If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

If that doesn't result in some sort of positive action, a copy of that letter will be sent to the local and state papers.

I've also contacted the local Veteran's Committee. I'm not a member because I don't need a pat on the back or a free dinner once a year. But if, as I suspect, this gets handed off to them, I volunteered to help with a solution.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Good for you, totally agree.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3765 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing pisses me off more than people that do not treat the flag with respect.

Last year, at my daughters HS, there was an "inbred Jed" who had built himself a rig in the bed of his F-150 to hold a rather large flag so he could be a mini bigfoot while driving. Problem was that after a while the flag was tattered and shredded from driving. I brought this up to school admin and told them. as the truck was parked on school property, that it reflected poorly on the school and thankfully it vanished anbout a day later

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yep. It aggravates me to see torn and tattered flags hanging. I've even gone into places displaying them and suggesting they fix the problem, even offering to buy a new one from time to time, with no results.

The other one that pisses me off are those that display the flag at half-staff on Memorial day and leave it there for days and weeks after.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What about taking photos, posting them here and on other forums which you are a member along with the Town Manager's address for all to see and know?

I am willing to bet that, after more than a few letters sternly worded letters of patriotism are received, the issue will be resolved (until next year Wink )

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Get em. I always say something when there is a tattered flag or it's being displayed wrong

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
What about taking photos, posting them here and on other forums which you are a member along with the Town Manager's address for all to see and know?

I am willing to bet that, after more than a few letters sternly worded letters of patriotism are received, the issue will be resolved (until next year Wink )

Good idea, if it comes to that. Just whacked the hornet's nest this morning, I'll give 'em a few days to react.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best tings my Dad ever did for me was, ling before Boy Scouts, he made me go next door every day and raise/lower the elderly woman's flag , fold it and bring it home. He drilled into my head how and why I needed to respect the flag.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post