SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    old people, their teeth and their excuses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

old people, their teeth and their excuses Login/Join 
posted
Four people over 75 y.o. have needed surgery, in the last two years.
but , guess what

A. they waited two years longer than they should have to get it done
AND !

B. all four had to have dental work done , causing another 45 day wait , prior to having their surgery done, to get rid of the crap ,crud, and Yak ! growing in their rotten crappy ass teeth.

Just take care of your damn teeth!

one fella had to have seven teeth pulled.

the other three had all kinds of crap done Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I always had a hard time wrapping my head around people letting their teeth go to shit. Not only is it gross and looks bad, but they get used all that time and you only get that one set. WTF, people?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above, however, Dental Insurance is very expensive and most major work is only covered at 50%. With a fixed income it may cause financial problems for them.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
brush'em or pull'em
it's your choice

or just go ahead and ignore them and maybe
cause your premature death

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
brush'em or pull'em
it's your choice

or just go ahead and ignore them and maybe
cause your premature death

Strong warning to follow!

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
My son worked for a 73ish guy who started having heart issues. They decided he needed surgery to correct his issues. But he was told he had to have 12 rotten teeth removed first. He had them all removed and the very next week under went the heart procedure. He never woke up and his family pulled the plug 4 days later. I’m not qualified in any manner but sure seemed to me they should have waited a lot longer then a week for his mouth to heal.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Agree with the above, however, Dental Insurance is very expensive and most major work is only covered at 50%. With a fixed income it may cause financial problems for them.

One typically doesn't need major work unless they have been neglecting their teeth for years (or decades). Brush, floss, and toothpaste are pretty cheap. Yes, major work can be the result of trauma, but that is the exception.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Trying to remember the last time I went to the dentist. Oh yeah, it was 2 hours ago. And 2 Saturdays from now I'm getting my 5th implant. Paying out of pocket. But teeth is teeth.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do the best I can to take care of my teeth and my overall health. But, when I go to the dentist, he throws out four figure estimates like he is ordering a quarter pounder. And multiple visits to accomplish his care plan.
My dental insurance is nearly worthless. Love to have the work done, but not at the cost of financial ruin.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Other side of the coin:
My mother is 80 and has always taken good care of her teeth.
BUT! She has also been on prednisone, methotrexate and other immunosuppressive drugs for going on 4 decades.
This last year, her teeth started literally crumbling and falling out.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other side of the coin:
My mother is 80 and has always taken good care of her teeth.
BUT! She has also been on prednisone, methotrexate and other immunosuppressive drugs for going on 4 decades.
This last year, her teeth started literally crumbling and falling out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Genetics plays a big role as well. Nothing like chemotherapy to produce issues.
Radiation to treat cancer of the salivary glands is a huge problem. Drugs to treat osteoporosis often cause osteonecrosis. This is where your jaw basically breaks down causing a dental nightmare. To suggest that poor dental hygiene is the ulitmate cause is simplistic.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My last Dentist had a needle point piece of artwork on his wall...

"Only Brush The Ones You Want To Keep"

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Dental insurance is a scam. You pay out the ass and get next to nothing in return.

Brush your teeth or pay a bunch of money to get them fixed.

It's as simple as that.

(No offense MNSIG Wink)

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Dental insurance is a scam. You pay out the ass and get next to nothing in return.

Brush your teeth or pay a bunch of money to get them fixed.

It's as simple as that.

(No offense MNSIG Wink)

Dental insurance has always been more like pre-paid care (with a middle man sucking up some profit) than true insurance. For the most part, they are paying for VERY predictable expenses like cleanings, x-rays, etc. It's generally not a very good deal unless someone else is paying the premium.

No offense taken! I'm an orthodontist, so haven't fixed a rotten tooth in 30 years. I like clean teeth/braces. Smile

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post