SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Grammar Nazi Rant
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammar Nazi Rant Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Between I and you, for to us with communicate, better its not wrong to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You English SUPER. We have job help for you. You answer phone FOR us at TECh support. Have much fun with Americans.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I try too use my goodest grammar when I haf too speak in pubic, irregardless of whom they our.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Teaching grammar nowadays is a tough road to hoe, and begs the question, what is wrong with education?

Off with his head.

He needs to be made to tow the line.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
<rant>...</rant>

Feel free to add your own grammar rant. Or feel free to tell me to sit on a cactus.
--signed, Aggravated in general today.

Between I and you, for to us with communicate, better its not wrong to.

This reads like the instruction manual for some speakers I purchased on Alibaba. It’s like word Scrabble, where you must rearrange the words mentally to glean the meaning.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Feel free to add your own grammar rant. Or feel free to tell me to sit on a cactus.

Possessive plurals: Using apostrophe's to makes word's into plural's

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Possessive plurals: Using apostrophe's to makes word's into plural's
That's another one. Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Even more irritating to me is the overuse (if there is such a thing) of "noise words:"

"You know," "uh," "like," "right?" and that variety of filler. A once-in-a-while slip I can tolerate.

Night before last I was out having dinner at a casual eatery in Chicago. Seated a couple of tables away from me, speaking in a volume that could be heard all over the dining area, were two post-pubescent girls engaged in a nonstop verbal barrage. It seemed like every other word out of their mouths was "like."

"He's like, cool, like I think that's why, like, the other girls are, like, attracted to him." I thought my ears were going to bleed.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When they've grown up communicating by texting emojis and phonetic abbreviated words there is no grammar for them to worry about. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Even more irritating to me is the overuse (if there is such a thing) of "noise words:"

"You know," "uh," "like," "right?" and that variety of filler. A once-in-a-while slip I can tolerate.

Night before last I was out having dinner at a casual eatery in Chicago. Seated a couple of tables away from me, speaking in a volume that could be heard all over the dining area, were two post-pubescent girls engaged in a nonstop verbal barrage. It seemed like every other word out of their mouths was "like."

"He's like, cool, like I think that's why, like, the other girls are, like, attracted to him." I thought my ears were going to bleed.

Reminds me of speech class in high school, or college, can't recall.
Had to give a speech on a topic of your choosing. But, every filler word (predominantly 'uh' and 'like') deducted a point from your overall score.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The older I've gotten, the more I appreciate mother's drilling the use of proper grammar into our thick, dago skulls...

(sorry for the language...copied from interwebs) Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When in doubt about a sentence such as "This is for my wife and I.", just think to yourself, "This is for I.” Much more obvious that it should be "This is for me.” Then "This is for my wife and me."

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
When in doubt about a sentence such as "This is for my wife and I.", just think to yourself, "This is for I.” Much more obvious that it should be "This is for me.” Then "This is for my wife and me."

That's exactly the way I was taught to do it.
Make sentence/statement about you, then add any others to it.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I work in a blue collar environment. Almost everybody there uses past-perfect without the helper, and when they do use past-simple, they conjugate it incorrectly.

“We was going to pickup the load, but then I seen the tire was flat.”

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
“We was going to pickup the load, but then I seen the tire was flat.”

I believe you meant to say, but than I seen the tire was flat.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Newspapers and publishing houses used to be sticklers for grammar.

Now no one has copy editors or proofreaders.

They depend on spell-check or grammar programs only. Those programs suck to put it bluntly. It's cheaper than paying for editors or proofreaders.

It gives me a headache to read the paper today. Books are getting nearly as bad.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
tough road to hoe

One does not "hoe a road", you "hoe a row in the garden or field". Therefore is the expression not "tough row to hoe"?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
tough road to hoe

One does not "hoe a road", you "hoe a row in the garden or field". Therefore is the expression not "tough row to hoe"?

I take it that sarcasm was lost on you?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
tough road to hoe

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
tough road to hoe

Lordy, I LOVE SigForum! You can’t find this stuff anywhere else.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post