SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Grammar Nazi Rant
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammar Nazi Rant Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
<rant>

Words like "for," "to," "between," etc. are prepositions. Pronouns that are the object of prepositions are just that -- objects. They are not subjects. They are objects. Repeat after me, "they are objects."

You would say "This is for me," not "This is for I." Agreed? Why in the world would you say "This is for my wife and I?" How about using the correct case and saying, "This is for my wife and me." "I" vs. "me" does not change just because you stick "my wife and" in front of the preposition.

Chalk screeching on a blackboard.

Yeah, I know, "Lighten up, Francis."

</rant>

Feel free to add your own grammar rant. Or feel free to tell me to sit on a cactus.
--signed, Aggravated in general today.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Sir.

They don't even teach kids how to diagram sentences in school anymore. I fear it's only going to get worse now.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
need more examples

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hahaaha That was humerous.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it even worse when people say something like "He invited my wife and myself". It's as if they think saying "me" is inappropriate. Uggg

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There their they’re, it will be ok, relax.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I recall diagramming sentences in high school.

I specifically recall disliking that quite a bit.

I have to read a lot of narratives from a lot of millennials for work. I finally gave up on rejecting reports for grammar unless the mistake changed or obfuscated the meaning of the sentence completely. Otherwise I'd kick back almost 100% of them, and ain't nobody got time for that. Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Feel free to add your own grammar rant. Or feel free to tell me to sit on a cactus.

I believe, "Irritated in general," would be the more accurate word choice. To aggravate means to make something that's already bad worse. Feeling 'aggravated' implies that being irritated, angry, grumpy, unhappy or whatever is one's default state.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
They don't even teach kids how to diagram sentences in school anymore.

That is mostly an American affection. They don't teach it in the English prep school system

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^Yeah, but they don't speak English there.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Feeling 'aggravated' implies that being irritated, angry, grumpy, unhappy or whatever is one's default state.
Yes. You will understand when you are 82.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you were any younger than 82, I would of told you to "Lighten up, Francis". Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, I could care less, if you don't like what I have to say. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Preach it, Brother!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chalk screeching on a blackboard.

You sound aplexed.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Teaching grammar nowadays is a tough road to hoe, and begs the question, what is wrong with education?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Teaching grammar nowadays is a tough road to hoe, and begs the question, what is wrong with education?

Nice troll, but I ain't bitin' Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
They don't even teach kids how to diagram sentences in school anymore.

That is mostly an American affection. They don't teach it in the English prep school system

On the off chance that wasn't a troll: https://www.merriam-webster.co...ge-difference-affect

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Off with his head.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
<rant>...</rant>

Between I and you, for to us with communicate, better its not wrong to.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post