SIGforum
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, PUT YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY!!!!!!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9280006174

June 25, 2020, 12:42 AM
P210
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, PUT YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY!!!!!!
Remember when people went to bars to socialize?

June 27, 2020, 09:19 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

I think it is possible to stop the use of phones in moving vehicles through operating system evaluation of GPS info. This is the only solution. If you are moving, your phone does not work.
Really? You want to disable ALL phones in a moving vehicle? Driver and all passengers?

I’d vote for it. I drove today and was at a stop light waiting. It goes green, and the person driving the vehicle on my left, and my right, were both on phones, swerving. Both at the same time, both within inches of hitting my vehicle. I’ve had it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
June 28, 2020, 08:52 AM
Graniteguy
210 - what bar is that? I think I have been there!
June 28, 2020, 11:47 AM
reflex/deflex 64
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
quote:

I think it is possible to stop the use of phones in moving vehicles through operating system evaluation of GPS info. This is the only solution. If you are moving, your phone does not work.
Really? You want to disable ALL phones in a moving vehicle? Driver and all passengers?

I’d vote for it. I drove today and was at a stop light waiting. It goes green, and the person driving the vehicle on my left, and my right, were both on phones, swerving. Both at the same time, both within inches of hitting my vehicle. I’ve had it.
I would support the screen going black at 4mph I could be convinced to make an exception for GPS. Passengers can Bluetooth a screen mounted in the backseats.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
June 28, 2020, 08:56 PM
Lefty Sig
Hell even people sitting in public places or on public transportation watch videos on their phones with the volume loud and no headphones. They just don't care if they are bothering anyone.
June 29, 2020, 10:23 AM
PowerSurge
The way a lot of these millennials and zoomers text and drive, I can’t wait for self-driving cars. My opinion of that technology has literally done a 180 in the last year. They’re just not going to stop.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
July 03, 2020, 01:27 PM
Scooter123
quote:
I think it is possible to stop the use of phones in moving vehicles through operating system evaluation of GPS info. This is the only solution. If you are moving, your phone does not work. If you need to make an emergency call, you stop moving. If you need to text someone, you stop moving. If you need directions, you use a dedicated GPS like we did before.

I will run for office on this platform. And, I will hire Karen and Chad to be my campaign workers in every city in America.

I agree with almost all of your plan. The exception is with calls to 911. These should be allowed. Because if you happen to be following a dangerous driver you need to actually have the ability to follow that driver. In another example you may be having difficulties with a Road Rager and that is a situation where stopping is the absolute worst thing you can do. Because it can take as much as 1/2 hour for a statie to show up on scene after a call to 911. BTW, ALL of my vehicles are equipped with bluetooth radios, even my 1986 Monte Carlo SS and I have used them to call 911 when necessary.

I've stopped counting.
July 04, 2020, 02:26 AM
P210
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
210 - what bar is that? I think I have been there!

Beach Bums at the harbor in Ma’alaea.
July 04, 2020, 03:46 PM
83v45magna
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Hell even people sitting in public places or on public transportation watch videos on their phones with the volume loud and no headphones. They just don't care if they are bothering anyone.

Put the first 7 seconds of this on a loop on your phone so that you can reply in kind next time. Or, just play the whole thing.
This one lasts for 1 hour.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/o98_3Hmxr50

Let the people revel in it's simplistic beautyfulness. Smile
July 04, 2020, 06:11 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
The way a lot of these millennials and zoomers text and drive, I can’t wait for self-driving cars. My opinion of that technology has literally done a 180 in the last year. They’re just not going to stop.

It ain't just "millenials and zoomers." Some of the worst offenders I've encountered are easily into their 60's or older.

Which brings me to last week's occurrence. I was driving through the Safeway parking lot, and a fellow who had to be at least 60 was pushing his cart across the lane in front of the store to get to his parking spot. He also had his phone out, and was reading it as he slowly ambled across the lane. He slowed to a complete halt in the middle of the lane and a car's length in front of me, and took not one more step while he scrolled down on his phone screen. He was either totally oblivious, or just didn't care, take your pick. I gave him a slow three count just to be fair and then went ahead and honked at him. He looked up and I smiled at him and waved. He looked sheepish and waved back and resumed his trudge to the car.

July 05, 2020, 06:43 PM
tleo205
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Put the first 7 seconds of this on a loop on your phone so that you can reply in kind next time. Or, just play the whole thing.
This one lasts for 1 hour.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/o98_3Hmxr50

Let the people revel in it's simplistic beautyfulness. Smile

I haven't heard that one in such a long time. At one time years ago I used that and the dancing hamsters as a screen saver on my PC Razz
July 06, 2020, 10:34 PM
parabellum
You guys see the new Geico commercial with some douchebag reading his phone while he's brushing his teeth?

Heroin withdrawal would be easier than having these people attempt to go even one day without their electronic pacifier.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
July 15, 2020, 09:53 PM
DetonicsMk6
They usually stop talking on speakerphone when you offer to tell them a joke. I like, "The Aristocrats." It's a classic!
July 16, 2020, 09:59 AM
bendable
" Nobody came to Village Inn to hear you yell on the phone"
or
" Nobody came to the e.r. to listen to both sides of you phone conversation"

Are comments I've used in the past,they worked both times

The offenders relocated promptly,
Both times
Others thanked me.

I have about a 90 second fuse when the inconsiderate decide to call attention to themselves.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 16, 2020, 11:24 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I have about a 90 second fuse when the inconsiderate decide to call attention to themselves.

That's about 85 seconds more than me. On a good day...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
July 17, 2020, 11:18 AM
HRK
quote:
quote:

Yep, I'm all for it,

Disable the screen input when the GPS detects motion over x mph except when in Airplane mode, which disables everything anyway.

Require voice interaction, GPS is fine to display but the Phone must be mounted, not hand held, direction changes,voice only.

There is no valid reason to be checking the latest pavlov's ding for a iMessage, Facebook Message, Email, while going 70 mph in a 4000 pound weapon...

Example:
Siri Play Adele
Siri Order me a ChickyFillyEh sammich and Tea
Siri Call the office.
Siri Directions to 345 W main St Anytown USA

Basic features that could be useful while driving.

July 17, 2020, 12:45 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

GPS is fine to display but the Phone must be mounted, not hand held, direction changes,voice only.
Voice only? For me? Surely, you jest (and I am not calling you Shirley). ADA would be all over this, not giving the same service to hearing disabled is blatant discrimination.

Mounted? Like how? There is sort of a mini shelf on my dashboard, so I can just put my phone there, directly below the speedometer. Yeah, it does obscure some stuff, but I usually don't need a constant display of "miles remaining on this tank." It is not handheld there, neither is it mounted, but I merely need a quick glance at the speedometer area (which a good driver should do every now and again) to see the next turn.

It would be great if we had the technology to tell whether the phone was actually being used by the driver or by another occupant. If we had that, then disabling just about everything except GPS for the driver would be great.

The (retired) system designer in me has come up with a number of ways to distinguish driver from passenger for phone use, but unfortunately, I have come up with ways to by-pass these just as quickly. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים