SIGforum
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, PUT YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY!!!!!!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9280006174

June 24, 2020, 12:47 PM
71 TRUCK
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, PUT YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY!!!!!!
I do not under stand. I notices about a year ago people talking on their call phones not to their ear but in front of their face.
Whats up with this?

Person One, last Saturday my wife and I were at our favorite local brewery. A lady at a table at least ten feet away was having a conversation with some one on her phone. The phone was on the table so of course she had the volume turned all the way up. She also had to yell for the person on the other end of the phone to hear her. PICK UP YOUR PHONE I DO NOT WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR CONVERSATION.

Person two, today while shopping same thing, phone in front of a lady's face. This time in the middle of the isle moving at a snails crawl. I was finally able get around her and I think she gave me a dirty look. I do not care. As I am checking out she is in front of the person in front of me checking out still with her phone in front of her face. Finally get checked out and she is in front of me crawling at a snails pace,still on her phone, almost blocking the exit leaving the store. When I finally get around her I say to my self just loud enough for her to hear STILL ON THE PHONE.

Person three, again today at another store person walking across the parking lot,then through the store but not really in anybody's way. Again with the phone in front of their face. This person I did not have a problem with because they were not blocking anyone in the store.

Person four, Today on the road on the way home. Person in the left hand lane of a three lane road doing 35mph on a road with a 60mph
speed limit. He had traffic all messed up. As I finally passed him not only did he have the phone in his hand in front of his face but he also had a cigarette in the other hand. I could not see how he could possibly steer the car especially if he had an emergency.

Person five, The other day I watched a person on Inter State 4 in central Florida drive off the road on to the shoulder not once,not twice,not three times but four times in the span of about a mile before I was finally able to get past him. As I went around him you guessed it,he was talking with the phone in front of his face. I don't get it, you would think after the first time he almost drove completely off the road he would have put the phone away. I think at some point cell phones will kill more people than drunk drivers on the road.

When did we as a society loose common decency toward the people around us.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member
June 24, 2020, 01:01 PM
ensigmatic
They're probably video chatting.

Yup, it's st00pid. Particularly while driving.

My wife video chats with her relatives overseas, but only from the comfort of her spot on the couch at home.

The in-duh-vidual that kept getting in others' way I would have directed an EXCUSE ME? at. Repeatedly, if necessary.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
June 24, 2020, 01:03 PM
V-Tail
Preach it, brother!

I don't think that there is any other device that brings out the worst in inconsiderate people.

Couple times when I have seen something like # 3 or # 4 in your post above, I have dropped back behind them to get their license plate, and called 9-1-1 to report an impaired driver. I told the dispatcher that had dash camera video to back it up and if they needed the video, they could contact me by email and I would send it to them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 24, 2020, 01:09 PM
PowerSurge
Just yesterday I was almost hit head on in a corner on a 2-lane road by a guy texting and driving. He was driving a small red BMW SUV. If I wasn’t paying attention and swung my car off the road in time, I’d either be dead or laid up in the hospital. Luckily I kept my left side tires on the pavement and was above to save it from spinning out after some serious fishtailing. The dashcam video is interesting to say the least.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
June 24, 2020, 01:15 PM
just1tym
I wish my wife would read this.....

Regards, Will G.
June 24, 2020, 01:49 PM
REdwin89
Those folks probably had the speaker on cause, like me, cannot hear the phone held at the ear, especially with hearing aids on. That said it's still stupid/rude to be doing that in public.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

June 24, 2020, 02:08 PM
Prefontaine
I think it should be an instant felony.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
June 24, 2020, 03:27 PM
WaterburyBob
quote:
Originally posted by REdwin89:
Those folks probably had the speaker on cause, like me, cannot hear the phone held at the ear, especially with hearing aids on. That said it's still stupid/rude to be doing that in public.

My hearing aids automatically connect to my phone when I call or pick up. I get the sound piped right into my ears.

I despise people who are on their phone every minute of their life, oblivious to everyone around them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
June 24, 2020, 03:35 PM
P220 Smudge
It will continue to get worse until there’s actual enforcement of distracted driving laws. You can’t tell me these people aren’t just as dangerous behind the wheel as someone who’s chemically impaired. I’ve taken to laying on the horn (which royally pisses off people in the Pacific Northwest), and pantomiming hanging up a phone with my left arm hanging out the window once I know I’ve got their attention from the various angry gestures.

One lady last year ignored this, and was alternately weaving into the oncoming lane AND trying to put it in the ditch. I got her plate number, pulled into a gas station and called dispatch for the town she was heading into and explained what she was doing and then said “I can see she’s FaceTiming with someone on her phone, but the way she’s driving, she may very well be blackout drunk to boot. She’s going to get someone killed the way she’s driving.” No idea if they stopped her or not, but I’m done complaining about it without taking some sort of action.

June 24, 2020, 03:43 PM
.38supersig
Bluetooth equipped radios have been around since 2003 that I know of. That is before some of these 'drivers' were even born.

June 24, 2020, 04:42 PM
az4783054
Unfortunately it might take a few state legislators to get injured or killed to make distracted driving by cell phone an offense. AZ has resisted legislation for years claiming other civil traffic laws cover it.

So many AZ cities have enacted ordinances.
June 24, 2020, 06:40 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Things never change. Love this scene.

June 24, 2020, 07:35 PM
4MUL8R
I think it is possible to stop the use of phones in moving vehicles through operating system evaluation of GPS info. This is the only solution. If you are moving, your phone does not work. If you need to make an emergency call, you stop moving. If you need to text someone, you stop moving. If you need directions, you use a dedicated GPS like we did before.

I will run for office on this platform. And, I will hire Karen and Chad to be my campaign workers in every city in America.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
June 24, 2020, 07:39 PM
FN in MT
Add getting rid of robo calls/telemarketer's and you will get elected.
June 24, 2020, 07:44 PM
braillediver
Might want to minimize the ALL CAPS?

Probably something Para's requested?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
June 24, 2020, 08:11 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
I do not under stand. I notices about a year ago people talking on their call phones not to their ear but in front of their face.
Whats up with this?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There has been an exponential increase in video platforms. Face time, Zoom and many telehealth sessions. People have been known to have a medical telehealth appointment while driving a car or shopping in Home Depot. I am not kidding. The quarantine has driven much of this business.
June 24, 2020, 10:27 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

I think it is possible to stop the use of phones in moving vehicles through operating system evaluation of GPS info. This is the only solution. If you are moving, your phone does not work.
Really? You want to disable ALL phones in a moving vehicle? Driver and all passengers?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 24, 2020, 10:41 PM
nhracecraft
I've been tempted to join in on some of these 'public conversations' at times, just to annoy the shit out of some of these self-absorbed Assholes!

One of these days I will....And it will be Seriously AWESOME! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
June 25, 2020, 12:17 AM
nasig
inconsiderate slobs abound
June 25, 2020, 12:27 AM
Orguss
I was behind a guy who was weaving in the lane for most of the seven miles I was stuck behind him (two-lane road, double yellow). I honestly thought he was drunk. When I was finally able to pass him, he was looking down at his center console. I assume he was watching a video or facetiming with someone.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"