SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO). This thread is a comment on the use of the acronym and the disrespect it shows for both parties.
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO). This thread is a comment on the use of the acronym and the disrespect it shows for both parties. Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
cute Roll Eyes

Doesn’t show respect for yourself OR your wife.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13226 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is this one of those “figure out the topic of my thread based on my “headline grabbing, non-descript title Para and Arc really hate to see” type things? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Posted 2018-04-02 and bumped several times: From this point, any click-bait, vague thread titles gets your thread locked

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Not “click bait,” it’s the subject of the thread I started. Tell me how it should be titled

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Not “click bait,” it’s the subject of the thread I started. Tell me how it should be titled

I would suggest spelling out what SWMBO means. Then a very simple description of what you are looking for or what it's about if it's not obvious what SWMBO represents.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, if the boss' direction is insufficient, than try reading this: Are you posting a thread?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:

I would suggest spelling out what SWMBO means. Then a very simple description of what you are looking for or what it's about if it's not obvious what SWMBO represents.

It’s used all the time in the Forum, I guess this will be educational for those who see it and cruise right on by. OK, I’ll spell it out.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking we should add HWMBI and replace the description next to the ignore button with that.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Not to pile on, but the SWMBO'd thing was just discussed at length here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ll quit posting in “What’s Your Deal;” I’m just not very good at it

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The problem, TMats, is that you posted a thread with a title that neither made a point or asked a question. Then, in your original post, typed simply "cute."

The title was, and remains click bait.

Your OP, "cute" implied you thought the acronym silly (to me it did, anyway), but then you added the "Doesn't show respect..." part. So now, after all this, we get your point. (But still only after clicking on it. Thus "click bait.")

Do you still not see why Para posted the "no click bait thread titles" and why Arc posted what he did?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm trying to help you generate the discussion I assume you want and avoid your thread getting locked.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Disrespectful?
Are you aware of this new invention called "a joke"? It's really neato and will show you another new thing called "funny".
Of course it's a difficult concept for those who CHOOSE to make everything as serious as possible and find offense in every facet of their day. Relax and watch some Mtv or something.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The first time I saw the acronym and became aware of its meaning I understood it to be used jokingly, and gave a half smile. When a “joke” is repeated again and again, I no longer smile. YMMV

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I agree. It’s weird.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first time I saw the acronym and became aware of its meaning I understood it to be used jokingly, and gave a half smile. When a “joke” is repeated again and again, I no longer smile. YMMV

That's what SHE said! Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Might want to refer to this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078680/

I think you may find the acronym is neither condescending nor demeaning. of course YMMV. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's a bit silly, but not enough to make a whole thread about.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lemme get back to ya, gotta ask the battleaxe what my thoughts are on this.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Men have jokingly complained about their wives for centuries. No, make that eons. It's a male bonding thing- 'Oh, woe is me, but we men are united in our misery', and you know that most of them don't really mean it.

There are exceptions of course. A few years back, I was at a funeral, and this kid I knew- probably all of 18 years old at the time- walked up to me with a girl in tow.

"This is my old lady", he said to me.

I looked at him, shook my head and said "Son. Son," then I looked at her and said "Don't take that kind of stuff from him."

It's one thing to do it in the company of other males only. It's something else altogether when you say it in the presence of a woman, or, in this case, a young girl who didn't know any better. Also, I don't want to hear that kind of stuff from some kid who has had hair on his balls for maybe four years.

That being said, it's harmless and traditional.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
1. What Para said.

2. I get that it gets old and will try not to use it quite as much.

3. If the OP heard the way my wife and I talk to each other, he'd probably spontaneously combust.

4. If either of us thought for one second that the other was serious, there'd be hell to pay. And probably lawyers...

5. My wife was looking over my shoulder as I typed this and said "Doesn't anybody have a sense of humor any more?"

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post