SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I’m sick of modern “tactical” flashlights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m sick of modern “tactical” flashlights Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I’m looking for a small flashlight with a red LED. I don’t mean a flashlight with red as one of the 609 output settings. It seems like every flashlight that has red LEDs also seems to come with an infinite amount of different settings all controlled by one button that I have to click through to get to the first (of 6) red settings. How many strobe options do most people need?

And if I’m trying to use red light...maybe I don’t want to view 1000 lumens of pure white just before the red. I don’t know, I’m probably the least tactical person here but even in lights I would use for that purpose I’m a one click to turn on and one to turn off kind of guy. Which is why almost every light I own is a Surefire.

I just want a flashlight that I can click once to get a red light, and click again to turn off but I guess that doesn’t exist so I’m currently looking at various red filter options.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Straight. I had a NiteCore that did everything, but it was too much. I ended up trading it on a limited production SureFire that only had intensity setting. I don't even like logic buttons. I don't like having to send my flashlight a Morse code string in 14 parts just to turn it on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya mean like this?

https://www.streamlight.com/en.../detail/index/stylus

Only downside is AAAA batterys.

Email is in my profile, let me know. I'm almost positive it still works and it's a red light.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streamlight Stulus was my first thought. Not sure it can be clicked and left on.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Amazon. Cree makes a ton from simple to complex.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Sportys Pilot Shop website and type "flashlights" into the search box.
They have several with red LEDS for use in aircraft cockpits.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Concur.
There is an old timey maglight AA in the go to drawer of my kitchen with a red lens and end cap button that I added.

50,000 lumens/candle power/plasma per square mile isn't necessary for me either.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The streamlight sidewinder was in my bag for a number of years, and I used it a lot. There are options for various lighting and colors; order what you want. It's got a white light option, but blue, green, red, if you choose, and some have an IR option for those who need that. I used the red a lot.

https://lapolicegear.com/strea...nder-flashlight.html

Energizer made several of their "hardcase" flashlights with colored LED's with separate switches, that allowed low lumen red, green, or blue light. I have several.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nitecore EC11 has a dedicated button for a red LED. However, the buttons are flush with the body and on the side of the light, making it essentially useless as a fighting light. Mine's been relegated to The Drawer for chores and such.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admittedly somewhat off topic, but related. I find the overuse of the word "tactical" to be ridiculous. Tactical pants, tactical shoes. What's next - tactical underwear? Oh wait: here it is: https://www.amazon.com/tactica...k=tactical+underwear

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tactical barbecue apron. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dude, get your VersaMaxpedition Fatboy and your EDC / Blowout Kit plus the Ubertactical Bandolier

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Folks who are into astronomy use small red led flashlights to look at star charts without ruining their night vision. Here are some I found on Amazon: link.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Would a headlamp work? I have a headlamp with 3 white outputs, a red output, and a red strobe, but it stays on whatever setting you want.

Just a thought.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The streamlight sidewinder was in my bag for a number of years, and I used it a lot. There are options for various lighting and colors; order what you want. It's got a white light option, but blue, green, red, if you choose, and some have an IR option for those who need that. I used the red a lot.

https://lapolicegear.com/strea...nder-flashlight.html

Energizer made several of their "hardcase" flashlights with colored LED's with separate switches, that allowed low lumen red, green, or blue light. I have several.

+1 on the sidewinder.

Posts: 371 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up ordering the streamlight CPD SIG recommended and now that I re-read it I realize he was offering me his.

Thanks so much for the very generous offer CPD but since I have a reading comprehension problem I’ve got a couple on the way so I’ll politely decline Wink. Thank you sincerely for the recommendation and the offer.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only downside is AAAA batterys.

On a positive note, until this moment I didn't even know such a thing existed. Go figure.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post