SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The New Shingles Shot and its Side Effects
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Shingles Shot and its Side Effects Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
Found out our insurance covers the new shingles shot so while I was at the docs office getting my prescription for BP meds (first time user, Woo-Hoo!), I told him to hook me up with a shot. What they don't tell you is that the vaccine is a two shot process and the second shot is 2-3 months after the first one.

So, I get the shot and the NP says I have to sit and wait 15 minutes because some people have fainted right after the shot. 15 minutes go by, life is good so I move on. Later in the night I start to feel an achenes in my body and so I read the side affect and muscle aches was there so, okay.

Friday morning I wake up and I feel like I was hit bay a Mack truck. felt like every muscle and joint in my body was aching and had a headace to boot. Did my best to get ready for work but ended up staying home and went back to bed. Got up at 10:00 and it was worse. So, I took some Motrin and went back to bed for another half hour. Felt a little better but not much.

Through the day I got to experience more aches and pains, shivering, fever and even it hurt to pee. My temperature was fluctuating from normal to 101 degrees. It really felt like flu like symptoms.

Last night wasn't much better as I was up every 90 minutes having to go to the bathroom.

Finally, about 9:30 this morning I was starting to feel better.

So, if you get the shot, be prepared. The vaccine information statement says 1 in 6 people get side effects from the vaccine and its more common in the younger recipients. Being 52, I guess I qualify as a younger recipient.

Cant wait to do this again in three months. Roll Eyes

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for my doctors office to get the shot in stock, the local pharmacy has it but insurance will not cover the shot unless given at the doctors office

Sorry to hear about your side effects, hopefully I am one of the 5 that does not get bad side effects.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Got my first shot about a month ago.
Sore arm.
I was told to come back in six months.
Will follow this post.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My bride had it last Monday. She complained of not feeling well and said her arm hurt like hell for the first two days after the shot. She didn't have much enthusiasm for taking the second shot until I reminded her of her mother's experience with shingles.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I had a tetanus vaccine a few weeks ago that did the same thing to me as the OP. It was brutal. Violent shakes, chills, aches. I thought I had the flu. Went back to the Doc the next day and was told it was the vaccine. I’ve *never* had a reaction like that before.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The side effects of the shot are better than getting a case of shingles. I’m getting the new vaccine when it is available!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I had side effects from the new shingles shot as well. Fever, achiness and my arm hurt like a sumbitch. I've had shingles before. I'll take the vaccine over that, any time.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I also had the same severe side effects the day after. Nonetheless, it's better than getting shingles. I'll follow up with the second shot.

For what it's worth, my doctor didn't have the vaccine so I ended up getting it at a supermarket pharmacy. By asking my doctor to phone in a prescription my drug plan covered it 100%. Without the prescription I could have still gotten the shot, but I would have had to pay over $150 out of pocket.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I didn't do the shot and Shingles I got. From reading the side effects I'm glad I didn't. The whole thing lasted about a month itching, burning, and muscle aches but all in all not that bad. My threat hold of pain is pretty high compared to most. I was told by the doctor that those who get them/it are 99% sure not to get them again. So life goes on. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't do the shot and Shingles I got. From reading the side effects I'm glad I didn't. The whole thing lasted about a month itching, burning, and muscle aches but all in all not that bad. My threat hold of pain is pretty high compared to most. I was told by the doctor that those who get them/it are 99% sure not to get them again. So life goes on. Chris

Getting Shingles does not confer immunity. People have had Shingles on multiple occasions.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
had the first shingles shot last week. No side effects. Nada, zero. zilch. nichts.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I got the first of two Shingrix shingles shots a few weeks ago. Minor arm pain, but a headache kept me from getting much sleep that night. The following day I had the strangest effect: a light touch on certain parts of my face or head would trigger an intense (but very short) headache. Weird. Mostly gone by the following day.

Still worth it, I think. My neighbor suffered intense pain from shingles for a couple of weeks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No shot for me.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
This information is good to know, thanks. When school is out for the summer next month I have my 6 month exam to make sure the BP meds I take are working well. I was going to ask for the new Shingles shot, didn't know about the side affects or that it was a 2 shot vaccine. My younger brother has had shingles twice and said it was no picnic. With the side affects, I can afford to be out of commission for a day or two with no work for the summer.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I had the shingles when I was 24. Do not look forward to going through that again, so I really do hope that the vaccines work well.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This new vaccine is supposed to be "95% effective". The manufacturer says it's a very good product. Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Do you have a history of arthritis? I have Psoriatic Arthritis, an autoimmune condition. I had terrible arthritic symptoms after receiving the flu vaccine, which was most likely an adverse reaction to the adjuvants.

The adjuvants in some vaccines can trigger nasty symptoms. The adjuvants are designed to increase the response to vaccines by inducing inflammation at the injection site, which recruits immune cells to present the vaccine components to the immune system for maximum response. The adjuvants can also have variable side effects in different vaccine recipients.

It is also common for people to suffer symptoms similar to the disease for which the vaccine designed to protect. These symptoms are usually much less than those experienced by contracting the actual disease.

You should discuss what you experienced with your doctor and ask him to provide contact with the manufacturer or convey the side effect on your behalf. Most medical manufacturers appreciate follow up, especially about adverse effects experienced from their products.

This is my experience from working in the Vaccine and Biologics field.

Best regards,

Mike (Molecular Biologist / Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:

I had shingles back before the shot existed, and while it was annoying, it wasn't that bad. It sounds like both the shingles and the shot differ for everyone.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
MIL got shingles and had pain from it the rest of her life, and as an earlier post commented, it can come back multiple times. Even after the leisions healed. It can be a bad deal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Wife and I got the first of two shots about a month ago and, as others have said, some noticeable arm pain within a day or so that lasted almost a week for wife, a few days for me. She also got chills.

OTOH, shingles can be relatively mild or absolutely horrible so the minor discomfort is worth it to us to all but avoid the actual virus.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post