SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    10 yards is just too far to push that shopping cart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 yards is just too far to push that shopping cart Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, you, sir, are a master. Cool

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I’ve been in places in Europe where the carts are all linked together. To obtain a cart, you insert a quarter (or equivalent) into the link and your cart is liberated. When done shopping, you simply link your cart back up and you get your quarter back.

Works well there......but we have more lazy asses here.
Mike

We have them in most of the Food Stores, but not yet at Costco or Walmart.
Very common in Calgary, AB. I hate carrying coins and quit going to grocers with those carts.

If Aldi were close r to our neighborhood, we'd probably shop there more often. We kept a quarter in the console of both cars for when we would make the drive over there.

But, HEB curbside is much more convenient with 2 kids.
The slot was a loonie in Canada and wasn’t all that reliable in winter.

BTW, the businesses put them in to cut down on the homeless stealing carts not because they care about scratches and dents in customer’s cars.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I did a 6 month gig on Staten Island and the only grocery store in walking distance had those yellow don't-plow-into-the-store barricades, I guess, so no one stole the carts since they wouldn't fit through them. It really worked well, they even had kids on the payroll to carry your groceries out for you and wait until you drove up to retrieve them.

I'm older now, and just recently had a V-Tail(esque) experience. She (and I watched her do it) rested her cart on my truck tire and got in her Honda. I yelled to her that she doesn't need to get back out and move it to the corral, I'd be happy to get it. Paused for about 10 seconds behind her and could see her fuming. She wasn't even the least bit embarrassed. I need the exercise anyway.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Hah, I was actually thinking about starting an identical thread yesterday, after returning from the grocery store. Way too many inconsiderate, lazy jerks in this neck of the woods. I always return my shopping cart after I load the groceries in my car. Most other folks just leave them in the parking spot. Ignorant lazy assholes.

Most people just don’t care, I suppose.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I’ve been in places in Europe where the carts are all linked together. To obtain a cart, you insert a quarter (or equivalent) into the link and your cart is liberated. When done shopping, you simply link your cart back up and you get your quarter back.

Works well there......but we have more lazy asses here.
Mike

We have them in most of the Food Stores, but not yet at Costco or Walmart.
Very common in Calgary, AB. I hate carrying coins and quit going to grocers with those carts.

I keep the same quarter in a tray in my truck and use it every time. One of these days I will probably forget and put it in my pocket.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love going to Costco (or anywhere, for that matter) and seeing carts in the lot filled with all the paper/plastic that they unwrapped from their products and left behind, rather than taking home and throwing away like grown ups.
If this is you? Well, sorry, but you're an asshole.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since we shop at Pubelicks the baggers always offer to help you take your cart to the car, load the groceries and return the cart, for free, no tipping allowed, simple easy and the kids always want out of the bagger job and outside so you're helping a kid get some fresh air....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re the lady in the Tahoe who removed her trash bags from the Tahoe and left them in the cart:

Next time, sort through the bags to ensure that they contain some kind of identifier with name and address (old elect bills etc.)

Don’t get caught doing this, but dump the bags in front of city hall, the police station or some other place where the authorities are likely to investigate. Maybe a late night eary morning visit will be required.

Let the miscreant explain to the cops where she last saw the bags and how they might have arrived on the Mayor’s lawn.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Re the lady in the Tahoe who removed her trash bags from the Tahoe and left them in the cart:

Next time, sort through the bags to ensure that they contain some kind of identifier with name and address (old elect bills etc.)

Don’t get caught doing this, but dump the bags in front of city hall, the police station or some other place where the authorities are likely to investigate. Maybe a late night eary morning visit will be required.

Let the miscreant explain to the cops where she last saw the bags and how they might have arrived on the Mayor’s lawn.

This is terrific advice, considering every city hall and police station in the country has cameras everywhere.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

This is terrific advice, considering every city hall and police station in the country has cameras everywhere.
Well, maybe if you wear your Ninja outfit, or better yet, dress up like the "lady" in the Tahoe! Ya just have to be creative.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Safeway tried to do the quarter rental thing but gave it up after customers started asking cashiers for quarters to release a cart. Since customer service was the end-all and be-all for Safeway, cashiers couldn't say no.

They could, however, lash out...as I did at an elderly lady who demanded a quarter while I was in the middle of a transaction. I gave her a quarter but not until after I finished chewing her out for her shitty attitude.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

my brother went to Aldi for the 1st time , two weeks ago.

as he got out of his car he offered to return the cart for a lady with two kids in the Lexus , she said sure and thank you .

as he walked off she said HEY !,

and he turned around, she said "where's my quarter?"

of course he was clueless, he looked in the cart for a quarter.

She explained that it costs a quarter to use the cart,

he gave her a dollar and said "here you go , thanks" then she followed with " I don't have change for this"

he told her to give the next three customers her shopping cart and walked away

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Safeway tried to do the quarter rental thing but gave it up after customers started asking cashiers for quarters to release a cart. Since customer service was the end-all and be-all for Safeway, cashiers couldn't say no.

When was this?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
When she got out of the car, I told her that I was retired, had no other plans for the day, and I could keep it up as long as she could.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
10 yards? How about <10 feet?

This ^^^^^

I had a photo, I think I deleted it, of an abandoned cart sitting one parking space away from a nearly-empty cart corral.

I like what Aldi's does: Pay a quarter to get a cart. Get it back when you return it. You don't see many empty carts sitting around in an Aldi's parking lot Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I like what Aldi's does: Pay a quarter to get a cart. Get it back when you return it. You don't see many empty carts sitting around in an Aldi's parking lot Wink

This all reminds me of the 2004 Spielberg movie The Terminal, where Tom Hanks plays a character from a foreign country who is stuck in limbo in a US airport terminal (due to visa/passport problems). He has to survive, had no money, until he discovered the baggage cart corral which cost a quarter to use a cart. There is one brief scene of him pushing a train of about 30 abandoned carts back to a corral to collect meal money.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post