SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Working for a large Corp.......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working for a large Corp....... Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted
I work for one of the big four Banks.

May 1st will be my 13th anniversary.
For 11 years I have worked from home 24/7. I have been promoted and given raises the whole time. I exercise a work ethic that Texan engineers do, I work 60 hours a week for a flat salary, work weekends. I have avoided the layoffs of 66000 one year, 30000 the next.

But they do a change in VP's and CEO's and some guy in an oak office, decides that everyone has to be in the office everyday, to create better "synergy" and better productivity.

Wrong, they have lost between 2 and 4 hours a day from me, stuck in Dallas traffic.

They gave me a raise, that is completely swallowed by toll fees, gas, tires, vehicle maintenance.

Then they work me 8 weekends in a row. Feb has blurred into April. I can't get work done at home nor find time to barely get coffee roasted.

I haven't been in a crush like this ever. It has killed both my personal life and my positive attitude.

Lord above, help me, let me find the strength to not become mayhem.

I pulled out my resume which hasn't been updated since 2014 and started polishing.....

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Seems no one in the corporate world understands “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” anymore.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As a customer, I have fired Bank of America, Wells-Fargo, and Chase. Reason: terminal stupidity and total disregard for customer needs.

It looks like you're showing us the other side of that coin.

Almost 100,000 people laid off in two years? WOW! I'll bet that the higher-ups at the Mother Ship are safe. Probably even got raises and bunuses, for their innovative leadership.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
V-Tail

I have never and would never have an account of any kind with any large bank.
Credit Union member for 40 years.

If a company cannot offer a product that people buy into, and the only way to show profit to shareholders is to "save" money by contracting to India, or cutting positions to be absorbed by those left behind, then the train is not running on the track.

A little scary at 55, looking for a new job, when I do have security in as much as can be had in this environment. But my attitude has hit rock bottom in a high stress environment of I.T.

And that is saying a lot in 15 years total at this company, contracting at first, then FTE.

I am done with banks that are motivated to not supporting 2nd amendment companies, offshoring 90% of the jobs, and killing those of us strong enough to have survived this long.

I am living the movie "Office Space".

Wish me luck!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

I have never and would never have an account of any kind with any large bank.
Credit Union member for 40 years.
I agree with your premise, but there were a few things that I could not control.

Bank of America: I never, not in a thousand lifetimes, would ever do business with them on purpose. Way back, when I first bought the V-Tail, I needed a loan for the acquisition. I belonged to AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association, sort of the aviation equivalent of NRA). They had the best deal on airplane loans, through MBNA, so MBNA financed the purchase. Later, MBNA was acquired by Bank of America. I hated those bastards (BoA) and I pre-paid the loan just as soon as I was able to. I almost came to blows with the branch manager the day I brought in a certified check for the balance and she did not want to accept the check. I used bad language, took a picture of her with the check on her desk, and walked out.

Chase: Similar story. They acquired my home mortgage. Bad people to deal with, although not as bad as BoA. I pre-paid, and got into a big pissing match with the branch manager when he said I "had to" come into the branch before he would accept the final payment. I told him to fuck off, he had the check, and I was never setting foot in that place again.

Wells-Fargo: When I first started my equipment rental business, there were no credit unions in the area that had decent business accounts. Personal accounts, sure, but not business. I went to SouthTrust, which was OK. They were acquired by Wachovia, things were not so good. Wachovia was acquired by Wells-Fargo, everything went down the crapper, and local credit unions by that time had started doing business accounts, so I moved to a credit union.

Nope, I do not like "great big giant mega-banks" (Clark Howard). Small local banks, OK. Credit unions, OK.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Seems no one in the corporate world understands “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” anymore.

The mantra goes, "if you can't fix what's broke, fix what isn't"

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Been a member with Eglin Federal Credit Onion for 42 years.

Had many accounts worldwide as Uncle Sam had me chasing my money. (it made life easier with local checking, back in the day).

I learned to despise the "big banks".

All of them have Drive Thrus, and what Leo Getz says about them is true...

As an IT monkey with 28 years in this scene. The shine has worn off the banana.

Sorry to read of your crappy deal, rainman.

Bet you never got a piece of cake, either.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three banks I will not deal with:

"Chitty" bank, Chase and BoA.

I'm a firm believer in Credit Union's.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

So what’s a good credit union, or 2 or 3, in the Tucson area?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

So what’s a good credit union, or 2 or 3, in the Tucson area?

GF is with AZ One and likes them. You might Google "Yelp" reviews for the rest - Hughes and Tucson Federal, etc...

I'm with PSECU in Pennsylvania for near 30 years.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Rainman, often when one door closes another one opens, I add a prayer your way for you.

I've also been with my Credit Union for 35yrs now. It started as Florida Power and Light Credit Union and now is Power Financial Credit Union. Always good service and prompt help when needed.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things and companies change. Sometimes you change with them, sometimes not. Personally, I don't believe in getting or staying miserable. I've quit several situations and jobs, often times walking off the end of the loading ramp jumping into the dark, without an immediate job to jump into. I relied on myself. Every time, I found my life improved. I was happier, and frequently increased my earnings or income. Your results may or may not be the same.

Certain things helped. Early in my career, I tried to live fairly frugally, spending less than I earned and invested the difference. Long term, that can allow a certain degree of independence. I was also fortunate enough to find a career that remained in demand, and kept up to date.

My previous job had a regional supervisor that pressured me to do unethical things, violated my contract and told me I should consider the future. My immediate impulse was to tell him to go pound sand, in somewhat less polite terms. I decided to think about my reply over night, and resigned the next day. He replied and asked what my plans were. I again had a reply, and decided to consider what to say overnight. I used my first thought, which was "You told me to consider my future. I did, decades ago and implemented my plan at that time. My actions left me with the ability to do pretty much whatever I please. I have offers. I'll consider my alternatives and act".

Independence is nice.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I pulled out my resume which hasn't been updated since 2014 and started polishing.....
This is the right answer.

Find a new job and get an offer letter, then if you feel like it ask your current employer if you can return to working from home. If the answer is no, pull the trigger immediately.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Bet you never got a piece of cake, either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lemur:

Corollary: Keep fixing it until it breaks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
But my attitude has hit rock bottom in a high stress environment of I.T.

Time to say goodbye. Good luck with whatever comes next.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine, rainman. I feel for you and hope it works out for the best.

I’ve been WFH full time for almost 10 years now and I couldn’t imagine suddenly having to commute again and live the corporate office life.

Best of luck in your search.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, whatever happens I wish you the best of luck, nobody deserves to be so miserable at work. I have been there. When I quit they asked me what I wanted to stay, and I realized there was no amount of money, it was time to walk. Best decision I ever made.

Hope you find something better, at least you are looking for something new with a job in hand, so you don't have to jump at anything.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I banked with Wachovia (and all names before that) here in NW Fla. since around 1980. When they got taken over by Wells Fargo around 2008 I switched to Regions. Eventually got a car loan through WF and 2 years later I refinanced through Gulf Winds Credir Union. 6 Months later I moved my accounts from Regions to Gulf Winds and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I worked for Norwest from 1975 until 2000. We went through a few name changes but the company was great - - -Right up until we became Wells Fargo. Things went from good to shit in about a year and many of our knowledgeable bank managers were replaced by incompetent HR/Operations people who had no idea about how to run a bank or manage people. I guess it was fashionable. This was political correctness early on. I left about the time when the heat was really being turned up to produce. We know what happened there.

I think upper management cheered when me and many of the established team for resigned. Now they could both mold a bunch of kids and pay them 1/3 what we were making. Decision making had been centralized and staffs had been cut.

I was recruited by a small regional bank and spent the last 13 years of my career in a great place working for a great company. We employed many of the talented folks that once worked for Wells.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post