SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CMA Show and too many commercials.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMA Show and too many commercials. Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
My wife had DVR'd the CMA show and watched it last night. The show was scheduled to last 3 hours and she fast forwarded through all the commercials. The show last 1 hour and 52 minutes without commercials. Thank God for that DVR!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Network hour long programs typically run over 14 minutes of commercials. It may even be longer with the political ads. We seldom watch anything when it airs, like you we record it and zip through the commercials.

We're now watching PRIME reruns (four seasons) of "Alias" with Jennifer Garner. All the commercials are deleted automatically. All we see are a couple seconds of black scene and right back to the program. Not even enough time to get up to take a pee. Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Years ago we lived in Fairbanks and television ads about the only way to run for office. One candidate filmed himself watching TV and the announcer says “Now for another 30 minutes of endless political commercials.” He gets up and kicks the screen in and asks for our vote. He won in a landslide.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We're to the point that we DVR everything. The political commercials alone dominate every program and just grate on us.

Sorta like a football game. 10 minutes of action interrupted by commercials, instant replays, penalties and booth reviews. No thanks.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of the many reasons I ditched traditional TV. Even back when I did have "real" TV, it had gotten to the point where I mostly watched channels like TCM, PBS, and HBO, due to their minimal commercials, which were concentrated at the end of the program, so no interruptions during the program itself.

There are no commercials on most pay streaming services, other than the occasional (skippable) brief trailer/blurb about their own programs.

And even on some of the free ones that have do them, like Youtube, you can block them with Adblock software.

There's no reason to suffer through commercials any more.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I find a YouTube session gives me much relaxation. Selecting a topic of interest is so easy and no commercials at all.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
My wife had DVR'd the CMA show and watched it last night. The show was scheduled to last 3 hours and she fast forwarded through all the commercials. The show last 1 hour and 52 minutes without commercials. Thank God for that DVR!

Pretty sure that was the ACM Awards. I believe the CMAs (which I, at least used to, like better) are in November

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I find a YouTube session gives me much relaxation. Selecting a topic of interest is so easy and no commercials at all.

Lately I have had tons of ads during videos I've watched. I watched a 14 min video yesterday and it had 3 ad breaks.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Way too many ads on YouTube lately.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Way too many ads on YouTube lately.

Holy hell...It's NUTS! And it never got close to this bad until a few weeks ago.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I will regularly DVR a show as the preferred method and just watch it later as to FFWD through commercials.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
There are no ads on Youtube only if you have an adblocker or pay for no ads.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Have an OTA/DVR for the locals which are always loaded with commercials. The Tablo dual lite DVR that I purchased has a commercial auto-skip feature that works like a dream. The second you normally come into a commercial break, all you see is the bar at the bottom of the screen jump the commercials and perfect continuity of the scheduled program, what a fantastic feature!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post