SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Use of military time outside of the military
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of military time outside of the military Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear I've used military time at jobs in the past and still do keep most of my clocks that way as well.
It's not that I think it's inferior in any way, just makes one sound like they are trying to be all high speed operator-y when used in daily civilian life.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
24 hour clock just makes sense. Conversation to UTC, formerly GMT, (Zulu) can be a pain.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Just to be clear I've used military time at jobs in the past and still do keep most of my clocks that way as well.
It's not that I think it's inferior in any way, just makes one sound like they are trying to be all high speed operator-y when used in daily civilian life.

Funny, I keep my clocks on 24 hour format, and when taking notes of any kind, I record time in 24 hour format, but in speech, I use 12 hour format. I don't go to lunch at 1200, I go at noon. I don't have a meeting at 1430, I have one at 2:30 in the afternoon.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Pretty much use it all the time in Nursing. Removes the ambiguity of AM and PM and when meds, procedures, etc. are scheduled.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have mostly gotten over worrying about what people think of me because I use certain terminology, but I am aware enough of what others will know and understand that I seldom use 24 hour time in conversations. If, however, someone is accustomed to making assumptions with no evidence and wants to think that when I do or when I wear certain clothes I’m some sort of wanna-be, it makes no difference to me. Such diseased thinking could have adverse effects on their lives, but that’s their concern, not mine.

There are plenty of exceptions, however. As an emergency services dispatcher, everyone I spoke to on the radio was expected to understand the system. Most of my friends are former LE or military. I therefore know that they will understand me, but I don’t always say “thirteen hundred” when I’m referring to a 1 o’clock lunch meeting.

With the exception of my car clock that won’t allow it, all of my digital clocks and watches are set to the 24 hour format, and I actually won’t buy one that can’t be. (Note that, clock manufacturers?) Civil Air Patrol, living in foreign countries, military service, EMT training, ham radio, and LE experience in various roles for nearly 60 years all ingrained that firmly in my consciousness even though I’m also aware enough to understand the 12 hour system. The one thing that still gives me pause, though, is “12 P.M.”; P.M. is at night—right? Therefore it should refer to midnight, not noon.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have mostly gotten over worrying about what people think of me because I use certain terminology, but I am aware enough of what others will know and understand that I seldom use 24 hour time in conversations. If, however, someone is accustomed to making assumptions with no evidence and wants to think that when I do or when I wear certain clothes I’m some sort of wanna-be, it makes no difference to me. Such diseased thinking could have adverse effects on their lives, but that’s their concern, not mine.

There are plenty of exceptions, however. As an emergency services dispatcher, everyone I spoke to on the radio was expected to understand the system. Most of my friends are former LE or military. I therefore know that they will understand me, but I don’t always say “thirteen hundred” when I’m referring to a 1 o’clock lunch meeting.

With the exception of my car clock that won’t allow it, all of my digital clocks and watches are set to the 24 hour format, and I actually won’t buy one that can’t be. (Note that, clock manufacturers?) Civil Air Patrol, living in foreign countries, military service, EMT training, ham radio, and LE experience in various roles for nearly 60 years all ingrained that firmly in my consciousness even though I’m also aware enough to understand the 12 hour system. The one thing that still gives me pause, though, is “12 P.M.”; P.M. is at night—right? Therefore it should refer to midnight, not noon.

Never thought of it, but you're right. I could easily make an arguement for that making more sense than the other way....

great arguement for 1200 and 0000

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

P.M. is at night—right?
Post Meridiem.

After noon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
AT 1 second after 23H59M59S it becomes 2400 (Midnight) at 1 second after 2400 it becomes 00H00M01S. Nothing hard at all. No AM, no PM.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

P.M. is at night—right?
Post Meridiem.

After noon.

Although I didn’t explain it clearly (my most common failure in any post), that post provides my reaction to seeing P.M., not what it actually means. I do think of it as after noon, not noon, and therefore because 12 at the end of the 12 hour clock and it’s after noon, it should be midnight. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
In recent months, I have gone to the 24 hour format. What made that easy was anything < 12 = the time. 13~19, ignore first digit and subtract 2. 20 or > change the 2 to a 1 and subtract 2. There is a video on YouTube somewhere that explains what I said. Some girl that had a job ending at 1600.

I am not as efficient going from 12hr to 24hr as going from 24hr to 12 hr. The translations are supposed to help with memory but I don't remeber why. Wink

edited to add referenced video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kwt43EO8k-E

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ffips,

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Although I didn’t explain it clearly (my most common failure in any post)
Nah, not a failure.

Your posts, in general, are clear and lucid.

The borderline cases, whether noon or midnight, can lead to a momentary "Huh?"

Using the 24 hour clock eliminates the noon confusion, but we still have the midnight situation, going from 2359. Of course I am usually asleep then, so it doesn't make much difference. Unless I have to get up to pee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There is one ambiguity with the 24 hour system.

How exactly do we designate midnight? This is something I debated/discussed with another soldier decades ago, and although I no longer remember what each of us believed/advocated, the question itself has stuck with me.

If we say midnight occurs at 2400 hours, that means it’s part of the previous day: i.e., 24:00, 16 January, is part of 16 January. On the other hand, if we say that midnight is at 00:00, then it’s part of 17 January. The reason that becomes an issue is how clocks display the times. None of the 24 hour digital clocks I have ever display 24:00. After 23:59, the rollover, including if seconds are displayed (i.e., 23:59:59), is 00:00 (or more commonly, 0:00). In talking about midnight we commonly speak of 2400 on some date but that’s not how clocks usually display the time.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
24 hour clock just makes sense. Conversation to UTC, formerly GMT, (Zulu) can be a pain.

It's not so hard if you think of it terms of your offset from UTC. Eastern standard time is UTC-5 hours, and DST is UTC-4 hours. AZ is easy, we're always UTC-7. If you know your offset, just add it, or subtract it, depending on which way you're converting.

For those of you stuck with DST, don't think of setting your clocks ahead or back (or "spring forward, fall back"). Think of it as changing your offset.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Anything up to midnight was 2359 hours. From midnight and forward, I always called it "Oh hundred hours" and used 0000 on.

USAF aircraft maintenance and operations.

So, if a shift or event were to occur on midnight, it was referred to as "Oh hundred hours" or 0000.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Or “zero hundred” hours...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Or “zero hundred” hours.
Or, you could just say "midnight."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry guys, I've been having a tough time with some stuff lately and was just looking for something to vent about to blow off steam.
This just happened to irk me for some reason this morning.

You doing all right?
I can see how a small thing can become a big thing when things are bad.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
edited to add referenced video:

Previously linked wrong video, correct one linked now.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

Sorry guys, I've been having a tough time with some stuff lately and was just looking for something to vent about to blow off steam.
This just happened to irk me for some reason this morning.

You doing all right?
I can see how a small thing can become a big thing when things are bad.

Thank you for the kind words. Smile
Yeah, things are going better this week.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Zulu time. GMT time.

Coordinated Universal Time = UTC Time (CUT = UTC ? What?)

Zero Meridian Time? Link Zulu time

The big hand is on the 3 and the little hand is on the 9, what day is it?

All that aside, check out and bookmark, if you will, Time.is link in

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post