SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Low carb sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low carb sucks Login/Join 
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Low carb RULES!!!

Being fat-adapted is liberating!!!

I had breakfast at 8:30 this morning, mowed the lawn, ran a pile of errands, bought a new gun, and here I sit at 2:10 pm, not even the least bit hungry.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Try this lavash bread. I use it to make calzones and other stuff. It helps me get my bread fix in.

https://www.josephsbakery.com/...t-square-lavash.html

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Low carb RULES!!!

I had breakfast at 8:30 this morning, mowed the lawn, ran a pile of errands, bought a new gun, and here I sit at 2:10 pm, not even the least bit hungry.

Being fat-adapted (i.e. having transitioned your body to burn fat for energy instead of glucose) is key. For me, it meant better sleep, more energy during the way, and less being hungry overall.

Trying low carb without that transition wouldn't be fun at all.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Low carb RULES!!!

There are other diets where you're not hungry also (normal carb). I went on a low cholesterol diet Dec 22nd and went from 242 lbs to currently 218lbs. I cut out cheese, butter, ice cream, most all red meat, shellfish and white breads/pastas. I am never hungry..... today I had a late breakfast/early lunch 12" multigrain egg white sandwich with american cheese at subway. Then one RX bar, then had a full thai chicken meal with veggies and whole grain rice for dinner, then a large gladiator smoothie from smoothie king for dessert,4 outshine watermelon frozen fruit bars and a handful of nuts......today. I don't miss anything in my old diet, I just substituted for healthier stuff and a healthier lifestyle of food. Something sustainable. I need to start exercising again but haven't in at least a month......but weight is still dropping but much slower now.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

There are other diets where you're not hungry also (normal carb)...

When I say "not hungry" I don't mean slightly peckish, but I can muddle through to the next meal. I mean not even thinking about food: totally capable of skipping meals for 16-24 hours without the slightest rumbly tumbly, still being able to function without the sugar shakes or clouded thinking, and feeling perfectly awesome while doing so.

If you are still burning glucose for fuel within your body, it would take an extreme amount of willpower to accomplish this. Until you have been in ketosis, or fat-adapted, there is no way to fully understand what I'm saying.

I'm not claiming low carb is for everybody. I'm not claiming that it's the best. I'm trying to buck-up the OP, who seems down on low-carb, when I know how awesome it can be.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fat and Salt are what's awesome. The rest is a let down in one way or another. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I never craved carbs until I was put on steroids.
I was always perfectly happy with a meal consisting of steak, or chicken, or fish, or any combo thereof.
My parents, however, couldn't have a meal w/o bread. My mom, to this day, could have a plate of rice, spaghetti, and mashed potatoes in front of her & her first question would be "where's the bread?"
And when I eat breakfast with her s always "don't you want biscuits/toast/bagels?"....

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count your lucky stars because I'm low carb and low sodium. Excuse me while I go eat some alfalfa.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I can relate. I am slowly changing my diet to a healthy one for the past couple of weeks now. No dramatic weight loss yet, maybe 2-3 lbs the most. My goal is for my body to get used the less carb, each day. The first few days was bad. I keep getting headaces, as my body is craving for my old diet of high carb, high sugar. The other day at work, my sugar dropped (I am diabetic). I had no choice but to quickly get some pieces of m&m candies to bump up mu sugar a bit (I wish I have my Gluco Tabs with me). My short term goal is to lower my average daily glucose level, then to eventually lower my A1C. It is HARD. But you, me, and the other Sig members CAN and WILL do it.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
So, some of you are saying my open face mashed potato spaghetti sandwich with gravy is a bad thing?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43878 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you decide to move to a low carb diet that will get you under around 30g carbs daily, beware of 'keto flu'. As your body transitions from using glucose to fat as its primary fuel, your electrolytes can get low and lead to several days where you don't feel well. That can generally be avoided by adding electrolytes to your diet. There are some good keto FAQs on guides on the reddit keto group covering this.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
If you decide to move to a low carb diet that will get you under around 30g carbs daily, beware of 'keto flu'. As your body transitions from using glucose to fat as its primary fuel, your electrolytes can get low and lead to several days where you don't feel well. That can generally be avoided by adding electrolytes to your diet. There are some good keto FAQs on guides on the reddit keto group covering this.

no one told me that, but it sure isn't fun.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post