SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Low carb sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low carb sucks Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted
losing 30 of the 150 lbs I need to lose doesn't. but damn it I want some bread.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Pork rinds......saved me when I did low carb

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a Traders Joes nearby go there and buy their sprouted bread. Comes in a purple wrapper. Only 7 grams of carbs vs the usual of 20+ per slice.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Pork rinds, AES or EAS whatever companylow carb, low sugar chocolate protein shakes from SAMs club or Costco.
When I do low carb to lose a quick few pounds for my Speedo photo shoots (just kidding), after about 5-7 days I no longer crave carbs or sugar, nor do I feel hungry. Ketosis, metabolism, it's amazing how all that fun stuff comes together, and once in balance the weight just seems to drop off. If you are truly going no carbs, and following a decent diet, not pounding down 2 lbs of hamburger a day along with eggs, cheese, etc, you will probably shed 15 lbs a month. I lost just about 45 lbs in three months on the Atkins diet. 250 to 205
Another thing you can do is walk/run depending on your condition and doctors advice. This seems to kickstart the process for me.
Good Luck.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
You could try CarbQuik.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbqui...it-Mix/dp/B005YVU6FY

I bought some with the intention of trying it, but quit my diet before I got the opportunity. It seems to get good reviews.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ezekiel Bread, it's in the freezer section. Keep it in the fridge, not the freezer, and only eat it toasted. It's pretty good, I'm not necessarily trying to eat low carb, but I've been eating it for about a year and don't really miss regular bread.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Giving up pasta hurts me.

I need to go low carb, way overweight and borderline diabetic.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a piece of toast with my two fried eggs this morning. To make up for it I'm going to all-you-can-eat rib night at the local bbq place. Smile

I'm with you guys, though. I need to lose more but I am weak-willed when it comes to food.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of websites that give recipes for making low carb breads, muffins, etc.

Here's a recipe for low carb waffles. Might help take away some bread cravings.

Low carb waffles

Dry ingredients:
2 Tbsp almond flour
2 Tbsp golden flax meal
1 Tbsp coconut flour
Pinch of salt
2/3 tsp double acting baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients:
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp caramel extract
1 tsp avocado oil

Mix dry ingredients together first. Then add all the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add a tbsp of water (as needed) to get the batter to pour smoothly. Add mixture to waffle maker. My waffle maker (Presto flip side 7") takes 6 minutes to fully cook a large sized waffle. Serve with butter and a side of bacon.

Optional add ins to mix it up a bit:
Blueberries
Lily’s stevia chocolate chips
Blackberries
Zest of one small/med lemon. This is also great with the blueberries.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

My wife has a mechanical contraption called a "Spiralizer" that turns Zucchini into a pasta like substance. Pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then put your favorite sauce over it. It really isn't bad.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Throw in low sodium and it really sucks. Damn fast food salads with chicken are too high.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I bake my own bread and grind my own flour, so I've started doing sprouted wheat flour.
Sprouting releases more nutrients, and converts the grain. It cuts the carbs and calories in half, and I believe it tastes better too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
3rd week of a keto diet in the books for the mrs and myself, I am down 15 and she is down 10. Not having carbs really sucks but I am adjusting to it. I miss bread and noodles.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
3rd week of a keto diet in the books for the mrs and myself, I am down 15 and she is down 10. Not having carbs really sucks but I am adjusting to it. I miss bread and noodles.

Been doing Keto for about three months now with strict keto for month and then 'lazy keto' since then. Carb/sugar craving went away completely by the third week. Lost about 30 pounds so far.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

We like konjac noodles (Miracle Noodles). You won't be fooled into thinking they are the same as pasta, but they have been an acceptable substitute.

Otherwise, here is a recipe for Keto noodles that I have not yet tried but others rave about:

1 lg egg
2 tbsp glucomannan powder
4 tbsp oat fiber
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/22 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp coconut flour
3/4 cup water, warm (whatever is “hot” out of your tap)

Beat egg well in a bowl or zip it up in a blender. Add dry ingredients and mix until gravel-like texture. Add water, mix until well combined. Form into a log and let rest for 8-10 minutes. Break into balls about the size of an egg, run through your choice of pasta machine (extruder or roller), meat grinder, or roll out (do it between parchment\silipat and slice to form noodles).
Refrigerate for at least an hour, it will keep for up to 5 days.
To prepare noodles, boil a couple cups of salted water (I used 4 cups water + 2tbsp salt). Add pasta to boiling water and reduce heat immediately to just slow boil. Leave pasta in for 3-4 minutes for thick noodles, 1-3 for spaghetti. Drain and use with your favorite sauce or dish.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories each 48 , Fat: 2g Protein: 2g, Carbs: 19g Fiber: 17g Net: 2g

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Giving up rice and pasta was tough at first. Buns and bread, were not hard as I thought. We replaced rice with cauliflower rice (sauteed chopped cauliflower) and noodles with zucchini or squash noodles (stringed out zucchini). I was skeptical, but it's not bad.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Low Carb Bread:

Ingredients
6 Organic Pasture-Raised Eggs
1/2 C. Grass-fed Whey Protein Powder (Soy Protein Powder works good too if you're allergic to whey)
1/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt
Coconut Oil (for greasing pan)

Instructions
Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Put egg whites in a large bowl for mixing while saving the egg yolks in a small bowl to the side for later. Do not let any of the yolks get into the egg white mixture.
With a hand mixer, mix the egg whites for 5-6 minutes or until they form a whipped cream like texture (as seen in recipe video above).
Add the Whey Protein, Egg Yolks, and Salt to the egg white mixture and mix gently until well blended. I suggest using a fork or whisk to mix by hand so you don't lose the fluffiness texture.
Grease your loaf pan with coconut oil & pour the bread mixture into the pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until thoroughly done.
Let cool before serving.

Notes
The bread will rise pretty high while cooking. After it cools, it will deflate. This is normal. Let bread cool IN the pan.

http://www.kaylachandler.com/l...ecipe-3-ingredients/

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"He who comes to Me shall never hunger."

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
I'm also low carb but for a different reason. Came down with sudden onset, late emerging (age 68 when it showed up) celiac disease.
No bread, rolls, biscuits, donuts
No pastas
No cookies
No pie
No cake
No other baked goods such as bagels
No gravies (most are thickened with flour)
Few creamed soups (again, thickened with flour)
And, worst of all, no beer!

There are gluten free versions of most of the above available (and there are also equivalently flavorful varieties of cardboard and plywood available).

Sucks but the alternative is unpleasant at best and life-threatening if completely ignored.

I feel for you! Frown

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
I'm also low carb but for a different reason. Came down with sudden onset, late emerging (age 68 when it showed up) celiac disease.
No bread, rolls, biscuits, donuts
No pastas
No cookies
No pie
No cake
No other baked goods such as bagels
No gravies (most are thickened with flour)
Few creamed soups (again, thickened with flour)
And, worst of all, no beer!

There are gluten free versions of most of the above available (and there are also equivalently flavorful varieties of cardboard and plywood available).

Sucks but the alternative is unpleasant at best and life-threatening if completely ignored.

I feel for you! Frown

The King Arthur brand of flour sell quite a few GF things they're as good as the real thing.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post