SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Red Robin... This is what passes for a burger place?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Robin... This is what passes for a burger place? Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Fuddruckers. There used to be one in Columbus but its been closed for years. Now I stop at the one in Janesville on my way to visit my son and his family in Madison.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just returned from the nearest RR to us. Burgers were very good. I recalled the posting here about slow french fry refills so I ordered one when my burger arrived. Worked out well. Good service. No issues at all.

Five Guys nearest us is very good as well. Fuddruckers closed also.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
RR is terrible, just terrible. I've never had a good meal there and I've been there probably a dozen times with friends or clients (not my choice).

Fuddruckers is great and I'm fortunate that a new one opened less than a year ago about 10 minutes from me. Place has always been busy when I've been there.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
RR is another one of the "food Nazis" that won't cook a burger to order. Even when you order one with "some pink" (what kind of shit is that?) it comes out grey all the way through. Thin patties, you have to order extra pickles and onions just to get enough to cover the patties, slow service and overpriced.

Chilis, 5 Brothers and Smashburger are no better. If you won't cook my burger to order then your food isn't safe.

My current favorites are Zinburger, The Counter, Flemings and a local bar and grill.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Either half the forum has no clue what a good burger tastes like or RR is wildly inconsistent.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Either half the forum has no clue what a good burger tastes like or RR is wildly inconsistent.
I'll go with choice # 2 as the more likely one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
RR out here is excellent, maybe because it was founded here? I love that place.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a French fry place

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I thought it was a lousy French fry place

Fixed it for you (in bold).

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might be right about half the forum not having a clue what a good burger tastes like if they only tried them at Red Robin. Smile

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
We had one here in the mid/late 90's. Over rated, over priced, loud and boisterious. They only lasted about 5 years.

Closed and left and I have not missed them at all.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I'll go with choice # 2 as the more likely one.

That happens with chains. There's a Chik-fil-A near us that we stopped going to, because the service was so bad. As in, had words with the manager about in on the way out bad, never to return.

As to RR, we have 3 of them near us. We eat at the one with the best service- always good food good service never had a problem. One of the 3 we had lousy service. It's also the busiest of the 3. I can't explain it.

When we lived back east I enjoyed Fuddruckers but they were borderline too greasy (they soaked the buns in faux butter). Then they all went out of business.

Five Guys... Been to about half a dozen of them now in two different states. Fantastic fries and enormous portions, but dry leathery burgers.

Fatburger, Smashburger, etc. Serviceable but not worth the markup for a fast food-ish experience.

Culver's I feel the same way about as Fuddruckers. Delicious and filling (extra emphasis on FILLING) but bordering on too greasy because they soak everything in something butter-like.

Freddy's makes a great fast food burger. One near us we go to regularly.

Steak and Shake is kind of like Freddy's but with everything made from much cheaper ingredients (yes, you can tell) to sell more cheaply. Still not *bad*, just cheap.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're having serious financial issues as a chain read in news recently..

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Just ate at a new Freddy's that opened in the area yesterday.

Burger was OK but a bit salty and the thin style fries were good.
The custard had small ice chips in it which detracted from the creamy texture.

Being a new location, they were obviously suffering from poorly trained and/or mismanaged employees.
I'll give them another shot in a few weeks but at this time they got nothing on Culver's other than being about 10~15 miles closer to home.
Will also need to try their Vienna Hot Dogs, one the the few things that I miss from the Shitcago, Hellinois area.

That stated, the food at Freddy's was still better than at Red Robin and was much less expensive as well.

Regards, Steve

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
[Five Guys... Been to about half a dozen of them now in two different states. Fantastic fries and enormous portions, but dry leathery burgers.
Exactly. Some of the best fries and worst burgers that I have had. Burgers overcooked and 100% flavor free.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

The custard aside, I don't think they're much different than Steak N Shake but at a higher price.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like RR. I love the endless broccoli. Judge away, but it is delicious.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

The custard aside, I don't think they're much different than Steak N Shake but at a higher price.

I was thinking it was more of a cross between In & Out burger and Steak N Shake, with extremely SLOW service.

Regards, Steve

Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
I like RR. I love the endless broccoli. Judge away, but it is delicious.

There's more than one of them!

We have a friend who swears by the endless broccoli, with fry seasoning. She always says something like 'I know this is crazy, but it's GOOD'. Smile

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never really had a bad experience at red robin except the one they built right by my house is designed horribly and the seats are WAY too close to each other so I drive the 15 miles to a better designed red robin...Fuddruckers does have a pretty good burger too.... Surprisingly Denny's has really improved their burger a lot

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post