SIGforum
Red Robin... This is what passes for a burger place?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9190041524

June 15, 2017, 06:33 PM
Kskelton
Red Robin... This is what passes for a burger place?
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
[Five Guys... Been to about half a dozen of them now in two different states. Fantastic fries and enormous portions, but dry leathery burgers.
Exactly. Some of the best fries and worst burgers that I have had. Burgers overcooked and 100% flavor free.

Five guys burgers suck... Cajun fries are delicious though...

www.OneStopFirearms.com
June 23, 2017, 07:33 PM
Icabod
We sometimes get the fish and chips as take out. It's editable, close and fast.
Last time I got home and WTF! Small dark somethings. Looked like there were scales or marks of scales on some pieces. Took a knife to cut. Just for grins I pulled up the menu photos. Yea, not the same. Complained got refund and apologies. Customer support was all script. Guess they get paid by turn over.
Maybe we'll try again HOWEVER I'll check at the pickup.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.
June 23, 2017, 08:12 PM
sigcrazy7
Just ate at the one in Provo. It was fine.

As for the bottomless fries, I just said up front to bring out a bunch, and she did. Also, a tip on the onion ring appetizers. The big 13 ring stack is $9, but the 6 ring stack is $3. We ordered 3 of the small stacks.

Fry sauce is big in the West, particularly in Utah. I liked RR's fry sauce. It had a strong barbecue flavor, unlike some that seems more like Thousand Island.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
June 24, 2017, 07:12 AM
Bassamatic
I posted earlier that I really like RR and I stand by that but after reading this thread again, I'm wondering if the quality is not consistent throughout the chain. For example, we always get asked how we like the hamburger cooked and you can be very specific as to what you want it to come with.

I see that a lot with other food chains. Denny's, Perkins, places like that so it might be happening at RR as well.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
June 24, 2017, 08:54 AM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I posted earlier that I really like RR and I stand by that but after reading this thread again, I'm wondering if the quality is not consistent throughout the chain. For example, we always get asked how we like the hamburger cooked and you can be very specific as to what you want it to come with.

Really?

Every RR I've ever been to they ask "Pink or no pink?" which means you either get it well-done or dead-well-done.

June 24, 2017, 10:49 AM
Edmond
I know a guy who is a burger snob yet he only eats his hamburgers plain. Plain as in meat and bread. Refuses to eat at BK or McDonalds and even Culvers before I went anyway without asking him. What's the point of being a burger snob if you're just going to eat it plain? Confused

I have never eaten at RR but we enjoyed Fuddruckers when they were in El Paso. They eventually closed the two locations in EP. We would go maybe once or twice a month to treat ourselves.

I don't think places like Steak and Shake are bad but you have to adjust your expectations. One of the best burgers I've had was at the 58 Club in Minneapolis, a Jucy Lucy.

June 24, 2017, 11:28 AM
grumpy1
Red Robin are great out this way. We go to them and pass Five Guys and Smash Burger. We go to nearby Outback too as wife loves their Bloomin Onion.

There is a Buffalo Wild Wings just down the road and there food is decent but damn is that place noisy and loaded with kids the couple times we went in the evening so have not gone back.

Luckily we have a few Portilos nearby too. Best Italian beef we have ever tried and we have tied a lot.
June 24, 2017, 08:40 PM
Steve 22X
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Red Robin are great out this way. We go to them and pass Five Guys and Smash Burger. We go to nearby Outback too as wife loves their Bloomin Onion.

There is a Buffalo Wild Wings just down the road and there food is decent but damn is that place noisy and loaded with kids the couple times we went in the evening so have not gone back.

Luckily we have a few Portilos nearby too. Best Italian beef we have ever tried and we have tied a lot.

Yes you are lucky, Portillos is excellent.
My father in law built some of Dick Portillo's first brick and mortar restaurants when Portillo expanded and moved from the trailer in Villa park.
Used to go with my parents to the trailer for Hot Dogs - no burgers or beef back then.
Left Hellinois in '93 and now have to pay a premium if I want Italian beef sandwiches shipped to Texas.
FWIW: Unlike the excellent Italian bread up there, the cake dough crap down here sucks.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward