SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Winter Storm Stella
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Storm Stella Login/Join 
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted
I was browsing Expedia today, and there was a banner "Winter Storm Stella may cause increased call volume."

Stopping using those stupid names that the Weather Channel idiots came up with. Tropical Storms are named because there very presence is deadly. So you need to be able to clearly communicate what warning or forecasts applies to what storm.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Tropical storms and hurricanes are named by the World Meteorological Organization, a non-profit intergovernmental organization, for the purpose of clarity and safety.

Winter storms are named by The Weather Channel, a private company, for the purpose of media hype and increased revenue.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A Sleetcar Named Desire.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Stella"......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RxA7AUoVLY

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
A Sleetcar Named Desire.

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Approaching storm worked forever. Then it is storming! Storm over!
Now every winter storm is a blizzard!
You have to be a trained weather spotter to see a tornado?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Ugh, now the USPS is calling the front Stella. Where is that sweet meteor of death?

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
What was wrong with #Snowmageddon2017?

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post