SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Background check means three months of hand-wringing...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Background check means three months of hand-wringing... Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
It's only been two months and I've yet to even hear from the background investigator. I'm going to fire off an email, I guess. I hope they don't see that as impatience...but I'm getting impatient.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It's only been two months and I've yet to even hear from the background investigator. I'm going to fire off an email, I guess. I hope they don't see that as impatience...but I'm getting impatient.

Are you talking about a gov clearance? You might be waiting for a year or longer depending on type.

Just relax. Don't bug the investigators.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No, it's for the Sheriff's department. They said give it 3 months and then inquire, but I'm so anxious to start the process, let alone hear the results.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The ones who try to rush them are usually the ones trying to hide something. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, it's for the Sheriff's department. They said give it 3 months and then inquire, but I'm so anxious to start the process, let alone hear the results.

PATIENCE! Do not fire off an email. IMHO that pisses people off.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I actually had a draft written but decided to delete it and wait.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
BI are done when the other work is completed. They get to one or two a day. Anyone bugging us would probably have a VERY close look at their history.

More seriously, I know your anxious but if they said wait three months, then wait three months.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You beat that window punching rap, right?

Wink

They'll get to you when they get to you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Why would I have a rap about that? Oh, wait, you're trying to be funny? Got it.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
You really, really don't want to piss off a background investigator.

I pissed off a state certification/background investigator once. That was not fun. I won in the end, but it was not fun.

Wait three and a half months before contacting them, lol. Even then, maybe a phone call, where voice inflection can be heard unlike an email.

Be patient, grasshopper Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
When I got hired at my agency about 10 years ago it was a 7 month process from start to finish, most of that back ground.

They've streamlined that to about 2 months now as we are hurting badly for qualified people.

You'll know when things are progressing when those people you listed as references and former employers, land lords and such start getting phone calls and visits.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which county, Orguss?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A word of advice for LE processes...do exactly what they say. If they say it'll take 3 months, wait at least three months. If they say show up in blue sweat pants over blue shorts wearing white socks, you better not show up wearing gray socks. Most LE positions have tons of applicants. The goal of the process is to weed the numbers down so only the best ones are left. Demonstrating that you can't follow directions, even the seemingly meaningless and insignificant ones, makes you a prime candidate for weeding out.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Don't sweat it, the cameras weren't THAT good, and I thought you said the mask didn't really slip that far?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You probably shouldn't submit any NFA forms. My last one took a few days short of a year.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't you just start working for Postal service? Say less than a year. Either way, definitely wait at least as long as they mentioned. And don't be the guy calling at 7 AM three months to the day later.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now it is hard waiting but three months isn't that bad. Like others have said, the process could take seven to nine months.

Earlier this year I tested with Columbia SC PD. When they sat me down to go over my packet, I met both background investigators. They were retired LE, who worked part time and they were swamped.

I know when I worked background and security clearance investigations, I sometimes had 30 cases on my desk at any one time.

The only reason my background packet is moving so fast for the medical examiners office is because they are short handed are in a quick fill situation.

The waiting is the hardest part of any of it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as they don't link you to SF, you'll be fine.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
As long as they don't link you to SF, you'll be fine.

You don't want anybody finding out about the noodle incident.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is for a Licens to Carry; I hope you are successful! Sonoma County doesn't seem very friendly in that regard- better than San Francisco, but still not too friendly. I'm in El Dorado County, where "self defense" is all the good cause you need.

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post